Pump.

SarahB97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been told that if I can control my type 1 more I can go onto the pump but I really don't know if it is something for me. Does anyone have an experience with one?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Switched to pump earlier this year so have some experience of using one, they are a fantastic piece of kit as you can better match your bodies insulin needs than using injections, have a good read around the Insulin Pump section of the forum or look on Youtube for video's of people using insulin pumps.

Reactions: 7 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I love my pump. I found it reduced my hypos and made my levels smoother. It also gives me more flexibility.

It is hard work though. You have to test lots, count carbs and be confident managing your diabetes. But if you can do that, it's a great piece of kit. I felt much better within a week of having mine. I slept better, exercise was easier, and I felt more myself.

Reactions: 9 people

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @SarahB97 I won't repeat what @noblehead & @azure have said but I feel the same as them, best decision I've ever made with my diabetes, I know it's not for everyone but I couldn't be without my pump now I have it :)

Abbie

Reactions: 2 people

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I like it too. Much better levels and flexibility. Yesterday went out dancing, reduced basal and was fine all night. No more dextro tablets:yuck:

Reactions: 4 people

Robcz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
I've heard the opposite to the above replies.
1. Having to remove the pump when showering or swimming
2. Cleaning the pump is a pain
3. Sometimes the pump pipes twist and stops working
4. Sexual intercourse is a problem for the partner (Gets in the way)

There are other negative things I've read about the pump, and I have been offered it also by the doctor...I have absolutely refused it.....Not for me!!....Maybe it's for you?

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

There are other negative things I've read about the pump, and I have been offered it also by the doctor...I have absolutely refused it.....Not for me!!....Maybe it's for you?

Everyone is different, but I don't have any of these problems

Robcz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
Hi @Mrsass....Then why are others having these problems? I am very confused with regards to the pump.....

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

1. You don't necessarily have to remove the pump as most pumps nowadays are waterproof and even if you do have to remove it, it takes a couple of seconds at most.

2. Not sure what you mean by "cleaning" but I don't clean mine that's for sure :) (If you mean set changes that's really simple and takes 10-15 mins at most or at least mine does, could be different for other pumps)

3. The pump tubing is very flexible and can twist without issue, it takes some doing to get it to stop working. I've tugged on mine a few times and it still works fine also their are tubless pumps as well so that wouldn't be an issue

4. You can unclip the pump for this or just set it off to the side as the tubing is quite long.

Hope that helps you with some of the negatives you've heard! ^

On another note I've had the pump for just over a week and my blood sugars have drastically improved and are now sitting in the range on average of around 6.5 :)!

Last edited by a moderator:

Robcz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
Thanks @Nicola M for the reply xxx .....I'm going to stick with the injections for now, at least until I have to change!. At the mo I'm OK with controls with diet .......I understand if a person can't control their sugar levels, then the pump is the way to go.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you choose a waterproof pump, you don't have to remove it for swimming. There's no problem removing it for showering - it's not as if you're in it for hours!

As for cleaning the pump, there's nothing to it.

After over 5 years use, I could count the number of bent cannulas on one hand.

The pump can be removed for up to an hour, so sex is no problem if you (or your partner) feel you must remove it - as long as one of you remembers to reattach!

Robcz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
Love the answers.....But still not for me...Sorry!

Robcz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
It would feel like a colostomy bag

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It would feel like a colostomy bag
Ugh, no way! I'd much rather have the pump.

Granted, if you're dead set against it, the pump isn't for you. I would have tried anything to get better control.

Robcz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
Good answer @dancer .....I am with you.....I will do the same when the time comes

Debsbelam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Switched to pump earlier this year so have some experience of using one, they are a fantastic piece of kit as you can better match your bodies insulin needs than using injections, have a good read around the Insulin Pump section of the forum or look on Youtube for video's of people using insulin pumps.
I am due to start on the pump on 27th August, I too am a bit concerned but I've had diabetes for 40 years and control is not good also have quiet a few hypo's and don't get any warning... Will let you know how it goes

Reactions: 6 people

Robcz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
I would love to know how you find it? Thank you!!

SarahB97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
These have all been really helpful thank you. Did any of you find it hard from doing 5 injections a day to only 1 ever 3 days?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
These have all been really helpful thank you. Did any of you find it hard from doing 5 injections a day to only 1 ever 3 days?

No, it was the best part of switching to a pump :)

It was strange breaking the habit of not injecting prior to a meal and I honestly thought I'd mistakenly take my basal insulin one night but never did, some of my injection sites were shot (lipohypertrophy) so moving over to a pump made sense, although you do still need to mindful where you position the sets/pods as your infusing 3 days worth of insulin in the same site.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That is actually one of the good points!

Some (like me) need to change sets every 2 days instead of every 3 but even that is wonderful compared to MDI.

The only possible bad point was that, on MDI, I would think twice about eating between meals as it meant ANOTHER injection, but on the pump I only had to press buttons. It was fine at first but now I have to watch my weight:rolleyes: