Anti-Depressant Drugs

BigStew

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just had a rather interesting development this morning.

After getting a blood monitor and undertaking fasting tests first thing in the morning I've noticed higher readings than should be there. 8.6, 8.2, 9.2 are the last three.

As I (also?) suffer from depression I thought it might be worthwhile checking the potential side effects of the drugs I've been on for the last year, Lofepramine, and sure enough there is a little sentence saying "changes in blood glucose levels". The only reason I've picked up on it is that i take 2 tablets in the evening so the drugs are still in my system in the morning.

Sure enough the Mind website advises caution on taking these drugs if you're diabetic.

I'm going to start testing before my evening meal as this should be the time when the level of drugs is at its lowest in my system to see where that leaves me.

TBH just a little disappointed, although I should have done this myself!, that the fact I'm on a drug that can cause changes to blood sugar levels hasn't been noticed by 3 doctors and 2 diabetic nurses.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Reactions: 2 people
C

catherinecherub

Antidepressants can also lower blood sugars and it is unfortunate that yours is having the opposite effect. You could ask your Dr. for a change in medication but most of them will either lower or raise your blood sugars, depending on your individual reaction. Would you say that your antidepressants are helping you overcome your depression or do you think that you need a review?

Have you been offered any talking therapies for your depression as these can often help and minimise the need for medication. Certainly worth asking your G.P. about this type of therapy.

Your high readings in the morning could also be attributed to the Dawn Phenomenon.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose/dawn-phenomenon.html

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

After getting a blood monitor and undertaking fasting tests first thing in the morning I've noticed higher readings than should be there. 8.6, 8.2, 9.2 are the last three.

As I (also?) suffer from depression I thought it might be worthwhile checking the potential side effects of the drugs I've been on for the last year, Lofepramine, and sure enough there is a little sentence saying "changes in blood glucose levels". The only reason I've picked up on it is that i take 2 tablets in the evening so the drugs are still in my system in the morning.

Sure enough the Mind website advises caution on taking these drugs if you're diabetic.

I'm going to start testing before my evening meal as this should be the time when the level of drugs is at its lowest in my system to see where that leaves me.

TBH just a little disappointed, although I should have done this myself!, that the fact I'm on a drug that can cause changes to blood sugar levels hasn't been noticed by 3 doctors and 2 diabetic nurses.

I think that you may need to take a bit of a step back from the situation for a moment. When we read a Patient Information leaflet in a box of tablets, the list of potential ill-effects are usually as long as your arm. When was the last time you read such a leaflet and it said, quite triumphantly, that their concoction is completely safe and can't hurt a fly, never kind mankind.

That the Leaflet says if can affect blood sugars, doesn't necessarily mean it will affect blood sugars. Similarly, with aspirin; it can cause intestinal bleeding, but I've never experienced that.

If what you have read is causing you anxiety, and potentially impacting on the underlying depression for which you are taking the medication, then it makes all manner of sense to talk about this to your doctor, or whoever it is who prescribes that medication. In the meantime, a chat with your pharmacist could be useful. They're at the sharp end of dispensing drugs, and are an absolute goldmine of information on drugs and their common interactions.

Good luck with it all.

BigStew

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there,

Thanks for the information, still new to this.

With regards to the medication, these are the 3rd ones I've tried and they seem to work, however I'm having fairly serious problems separating the side effects of the depression, medication and diabetes as all seem to produce the same feelings/physical reactions.

I've tried the talking therapies, CBT & Mindfulness, both have been useful and I am of a mind to try and come off the depression medication.

Honestly don't know what to do, my diet has improved dramatically in the last couple of months but my readings haven't!

BigStew

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that you may need to take a bit of a step back from the situation for a moment. When we read a Patient Information leaflet in a box of tablets, the list of potential ill-effects are usually as long as your arm. When was the last time you read such a leaflet and it said, quite triumphantly, that their concoction is completely safe and can't hurt a fly, never kind mankind.

That the Leaflet says if can affect blood sugars, doesn't necessarily mean it will affect blood sugars. Similarly, with aspirin; it can cause intestinal bleeding, but I've never experienced that.

If what you have read is causing you anxiety, and potentially impacting on the underlying depression for which you are taking the medication, then it makes all manner of sense to talk about this to your doctor, or whoever it is who prescribes that medication. In the meantime, a chat with your pharmacist could be useful. They're at the sharp end of dispensing drugs, and are an absolute goldmine of information on drugs and their common interactions.

Good luck with it all.

Thank you, just so confused about it all. Not stressing (no point) just trying to identify potential steps to move forward. :)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, just so confused about it all. Not stressing (no point) just trying to identify potential steps to move forward. :)

I would probably drop into the pharmacy if I could. The pharmacist is usually pretty accessible; maybe moreso than a GP for this sort of thing? He/She might be able to give you an idea of the likelihood of an adverse interaction occurring. Of course, he/she could say there is a minimal chance of anything adverse, but it could still happen to you, or vice versa.

I think the thing is, these GPs have so many things to check in the ideal world, that sometimes stuff like this can get overlooked. I'm not saying that's right, but I always take the stance that this is my body, and research whatever I am advised to do or prescribed. Only then can I feel comfortable embarking on any changes or drug regimes.

OK, I'm a data monster, anti-medication old girl, but I'm not looking to change than.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I think it's best to discuss this with your doctor. I'm a little concerned that you have been prescribed a tricyclic antidepressant, which is a class of drugs known for troublesome side effects such as sedation and constipation. What are the other ones you have tried, and why were they changed? If you need an antidepressant, then it's a good idea to keep taking one. Depression can make everything harder, including managing diabetes.

Reactions: 4 people

BigStew

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it's best to discuss this with your doctor. I'm a little concerned that you have been prescribed a tricyclic antidepressant, which is a class of drugs known for troublesome side effects such as sedation and constipation. What are the other ones you have tried, and why were they changed? If you need an antidepressant, then it's a good idea to keep taking one. Depression can make everything harder, including managing diabetes.

I was prescribed the anti depressant before my diabetic diagnosis, its been the one that's worked, the previous couple seemed to have a limited shelf life in respect to leveling out my mood. They were Sertraline and I can't remember the other one! As for the sedation, no real change from my depressed stage so manageable :)

I don't blame the medical staff, as another member pointed out they have a vast amount of data and responsibilities to juggle (ever increasing it seems!). I have tried to research as much as I can but one of the downsides/joys of the internet is the huge amounts of conflicting information available.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I was prescribed the anti depressant before my diabetic diagnosis, its been the one that's worked, the previous couple seemed to have a limited shelf life in respect to leveling out my mood. They were Sertraline and I can't remember the other one! As for the sedation, no real change from my depressed stage so manageable :)

I don't blame the medical staff, as another member pointed out they have a vast amount of data and responsibilities to juggle (ever increasing it seems!). I have tried to research as much as I can but one of the downsides/joys of the internet is the huge amounts of conflicting information available.

It may be possible to get an antidepressant that works as well as this one, without the bad side effects. The key is to take them at the highest safe dose for a good amount of time, usually 4-6 weeks. Often people give up on an antidepressant without doing this. The usual first line option is an SSRI, and there are 2 good options in that class that are stronger than Sertraline - Citalopram and Fluoxetine. Then there are SNRIs, and one of those that does not tend to cause weight gain is Venlafaxine. These can all be augmented with other drugs, and only after trying those sorts of options would a doctor usually move to a tricyclic, because of the side effects and risks. They are usually seen as a last resort, so it's a shame you have been taken to that after only trying a couple of other drugs.

BigStew

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It may be possible to get an antidepressant that works as well as this one, without the bad side effects. The key is to take them at the highest safe dose for a good amount of time, usually 4-6 weeks. Often people give up on an antidepressant without doing this. The usual first line option is an SSRI, and there are 2 good options in that class that are stronger than Sertraline - Citalopram and Fluoxetine. Then there are SNRIs, and one of those that does not tend to cause weight gain is Venlafaxine. These can all be augmented with other drugs, and only after trying those sorts of options would a doctor usually move to a tricyclic, because of the side effects and risks. They are usually seen as a last resort, so it's a shame you have been taken to that after only trying a couple of other drugs.

Citalopram was the one I couldn't remember, thanks :) to be fair to the doctors I tried each of the 2 others for 3 months before changing, Citalopram was very ineffective and the side effects were worse than how the depression felt.

I think a talk with the doctor would be useful, as for weight gain I've lost approx 3 stone in the past 3 months so a bit more on wouldn't bother me.

Last edited by a moderator:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
All drugs can have side effects of one sort or another.... The best thing for me has been vit D and my gym referral....

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey Big Stew, after 8 years of trying different medications throughout the 90's, I gave up. But long before that happened, I began taking nutritional supplements so when I did finally begin coming off my medications, slowly, and with my doctor's support and guidance, it worked out okay for me.

Depression has so many causes, often multiple causes, which I think is why it's so challenging to treat, though I do know a few people who were able to find a medication that worked very well for them. :)

I encourage you to begin exploring additional treatment options. Here's one, but do your own research and continue talking with your doctor... https://www.orthomolecularhealth.com/health-conditions/depression/ This approach to treating conditions like depression has been around for more than 60 years, and there are even a few psychiatrists who use it with their patients in the US. PM me anytime if you have questions (or ask me here). :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
A few weeks ago I went through a realy bad time with anxiety and my Dr put me on 20mg Citralopram.
The anxiety got worse for about a week and the panic realy bad,but after a week I started to feel much better and realy feel fine now,I may be on them for six months.
It has not made any difference to my blood sugar.or weight.
All the best

Maxy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hoovering

Hi BigStew,

Hope you're coping okay mate.

This may be a little off-topic as it's a different class of medication in itself- but I take medication for diagnosed ADD, dexamphetamine sulphate. Personally I've found that this hasn't affected by blood sugar levels although my appetite has been affected which could have an indirect effect. However different drug, different kettle of fish.. plus all individuals are affected differently.

I just wanted to add and see if this is the same for you- I find lack of control, steep rises and declines in blood sugar levels causes extreme anxiety and episodes of depressive thoughts. I asked Doctors for help but they never followed up. Thankfully as of recently control is getting better and promisingly so is my mental health.

How is your control and do you feel your depression is directly affected by diabetes and vice versa?

All the best,
Max

rose200_9

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I take anti depressants for years and three years ago diagnosis with type2 diabetes I notice that my blood sugar level is really high its between 15-18 I take insulin twice aday I don't know if it was my diet or the meds that made me type2 who knows I am still on the tablets I also take psychotic meds so that's dose not help keep an eye on your BG level and report it to your doctor or nurse hope this helps.

borderter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
Started mirtazapine last week and yes bgs are up then so is appetite its ferocious and today blood pressure up lots too .Thats the bad points but on the plus side feel a little less phobic and anxious so what to do ?no idea so Big Stew I hope you get a solution ,diabetes is hard enough without our extra problems some days I feel like throwing all meds in the bin

martsnow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Antidepressant drugs are a minefield in themselves. I have been taking then for nearly thirty years along with sleeping tablets and tranx. Found out that all these meds have severely damaged my liver, and will shorten my life by ten years. Do I struggle through each day on the meds or stop them and risk suicidal depression, which has robbbed me of three family members all to suicide.

Its my choice so I carry on taking the meds, and now have just been diagnosed with type 2 so have more meds to take

All medication comes with its own risks what you gain on the swings you lose on the roundabout. In this life everything has its price,

I hope your depression starts to lift soon, just remember you are not alone

THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL IS PROBABLY AN ONCOMING LOCOMOTIVE !!!!!!!