teen refusing to do insulin

Tracey 68

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi I have a 19 year old who hasnt done bolus insulin for at least 2 weeks, don't know if she has even done blood sugars worried about her but when I mention it she shouts at me saying I don't trust her don't know what to say or do

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't envy your position (having a teenager) and you are not going to win easily. The thing about not trusting her suggests she has a plan. It looks like you will have to watch very closely and at the first sign of trouble call an ambulance. Good luck and I hope things work out well.

Tracey 68

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you for the reply I am worried sick about her she is usually a really Happy girl but lately she has been really quiet, I have another teen with newly diagnosed diabetes and am finding it all stressfull at moment don't know what to do

Reactions: 2 people

NowClosed11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for the reply I am worried sick about her she is usually a really Happy girl but lately she has been really quiet, I have another teen with newly diagnosed diabetes and am finding it all stressfull at moment don't know what to do
Hi
Dose she take part in any forums or in any groups ? And do u get any "U" time !!?
Sounds like an over load for u
How long has she been D ?!

Tracey 68

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi no she doesn't take part in any groups and forums she was diagnosed Nealy 5 years ago and her sister was diagnosed 4 weeks ago

NowClosed11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So she don't talk to anyone with D on these kinda things or has an outlet in respect to chatting freely from fam on it ?!

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
diabetes in the family.........?

try and get her to help her newly diagnosed sister.......!!

do they get on? maybe a silly question with teenagers.....

Reactions: 4 people
C

catherinecherub

Hi I have a 19 year old who hasnt done bolus insulin for at least 2 weeks, don't know if she has even done blood sugars worried about her but when I mention it she shouts at me saying I don't trust her don't know what to say or do
Lots of 19 year olds live away from home and maybe, just maybe she feels you need to take a step back and let her get on with it.

As parents we worry all the time and she could be feeling that she will never be independent if you feel the need to police her and her diabetes. Teenagers can be secretive and decide to exclude their parents from their diabetes management as well as their social life. Why not wait in the wings and let her come to you when she needs help.

This may sound harsh and I am sure you are a loving, caring mother.

Have you read this?

http://behavioraldiabetesinstitute.org/print-preview/BDITeenEtiquette.pdf

NowClosed11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
diabetes in the family.........?

try and get her to help her newly diagnosed sister.......!!

do they get on? maybe a silly question with teenagers.....
And on top of that -as idea of helping sis is great one !!! Maybe get them both to sign up here or see if a local meet up for under 20s

But - I think it maybe that she has no out let
Then agin it could be more than just D
But sounds to me that like me - as I don't take it time to time coz it just makes me feel .... Well am sure u can see that in her

I hope she finds a way to outlet her issues and gets back to being her !!

But u should get her on here if can
Seems To
Be helping me -
By name u can see it still gets me lol - am 12 weeks in .... From being told
Anyway am gibbering away -
Give her hug te her about the others here
The leave to her I guess

Right shall go away

Reactions: stewpot65
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I have 14 year old, non diabetic and I feel quiet frustrated and want to :banghead: sometime. Now you have two children with diabetes, whoa I do feel so much for you and your children, it isn't easy.

It's love isn't it, it's not a case of not trusting them( but we do have those niggling moments) As a parent we love them no matter what. She's 19, she is an adult and she is living her life.............. I hope she will see ( a light bulb moment) what potential harm she could be doing to herself.
Tell them both that you will always love them and be there for them, through the good, the bad and the ugly.
Be calm and carry on being the loving, caring parent that you are. Take care.

Good luck and all the best RRB :)

Tracey 68

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
No I think she needs to talk to someone but since being transferred to adult team she only sees consultant once a year and nurse only if daughter contacts her I have asked her again this afternoon about it again she threw her meter at me and is packing her bags to leave think I may of driven her away

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
No I think she needs to talk to someone but since being transferred to adult team she only sees consultant once a year and nurse only if daughter contacts her I have asked her again this afternoon about it again she threw her meter at me and is packing her bags to leave think I may of driven her away

I just think you have hit nerve there, she knows you know and doesn't like it. Give her some space for things to hopefully calm down and the red mist disappears.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe I'm being overly cynical, but I wonder if there isn't some sibling rivalry going on here? She's been the diabetic "star" of the family for so long and suddenly she's no longer centre of attention? Maybe a ploy to bring the attention back to herself?

S

Shar67

There could be a hundred reasons why she is doing this, you are going yo have to get her to open up to you, getting angry with her will not work,
Is it possible she might be pregnant, and is in a dilemma, or she is blaming herself for her sister becoming diabetic or the most likely she is fed up with he whole diabetes illness and cannot see the dangers.

Julez2890

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Tracey... I'm just new to the forum and was reading your post... I rebelled really badly when I was in my teens and stopped taking my insulin- be very careful as the results are terrible... I don't think it's worth the risk waiting for to see what she is going to do as insulin is so crucial for her to stay safe!! Sit down and talk to her and get her to go to her diabetic consultants...

bevg

I would stop "nagging"( as she is seeing it) her and flapping like a mother hen. no doubt you are worried and love her but she is an adult. back off a bit and use your eye's and not your mouth. she know's what to do so leave her to it.

Leah Haddock

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya I'm 18 and have had type 1 diabetes for 16 years now, i used to be the same and they provided me with insulin pens which had a button on the end which provided how much insulin has been taken and how many hours ago it was taken, this would solve your arguing with your daughter over whether she has done her insulin or not:)

Payton

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Hi Tracey,

Being 18 so fairly close to your daughters age I can say I have neglected my diabetes in the past too, but I did have reasons for it. I didn't like the fact I had diabetes and I hoped it would just go away, I also didn't like being different from my friends knowing they could eat and drink without having to do anything and finally I didn't like that the insulin was making me put weight on so it was a confidence issue. I also found with exams, work and other family stresses I'd neglect my health and put those things first and try to juggle everything.

However when my mum found this all out she did yell at me and tell me off and stop me doing things I wanted to do and wouldn't trust me. But I found that sitting and trying to explain these things as to why I was neglecting my health helped, I also began to see the psychiatrist at the diabetes centre and have more appointments and regular contact with the diabetes team. Just having someone to sit down with and say 'okay you were making a big mistake but let's get back on it lets get testing and let's start giving insulin again'

I don't know what your daughter is going though or why she's doing it but I hope she manages to sort herself out. Hoping this has helped you a bit and made you not feel alone. If there's anything else I can help you with don't hesitate :)

Kathrynalison

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm 21 and was exactly the same as this lass!!! Threatening her with death and such is just gonna make it worse. I refused insulin when someone would tell me to do it! I didn't want anyone telling me how to run things, I wanted to do it on my own but everyone thought they were helping by just going on all the time and it made me feel like all I was was a diabetic, not a person and that I couldn't do anything without people mentioning it. It would never be "how are you, what do you want to do today?" Or anything like that. It was only ever "how are your sugars, have you had insulin today?" If this is what this girl is going through I feel for her x

Reactions: 13 people