What pressure is being put on the government to ban sugar in non dessert products?

NowClosed11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree to a point but taste buds change over time. Think how yours have. It's all about reducing processed food as I'm guessing you would stay away from recipes containing sugar if you were cooking from scratch.

We have to start somewhere and I agree with the traffic light label system as a start.

Nope I still make cakes and bread and cook
But the levels I put in don't change my intake has !!!
And yes some dinners I make have been changed
Well one needs a whole jar of honey
That had to change lol

But yes the food I eat has changed a bit
But how I prep food has not
As fresh I know what it is

The main issue is with pre pack and made foods
We as humans mostly take the easy rout to food these days
Owing to work - life - etc
Shame really ...
As last night I did honey backed chicken
That was the one that had a jar full ... Once
Now just a table alone and dry roast
So we and people can make that choice
Just most don't or don't have time
Or just don't care am sorry to say

Ok
I will stop now lol

NowClosed11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree to a point but taste buds change over time. Think how yours have. It's all about reducing processed food as I'm guessing you would stay away from recipes containing sugar if you were cooking from scratch.

We have to start somewhere and I agree with the traffic light label system as a start.

Oh and welcome lol by way
Just seen u new
Me to kinda
Is good on here
Just need to leave anger at the door
That's the hard part - as still ****** I have D lol

Bigbloke48

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lies,
I was even looking at the ingredients in toothpaste as that always tastes sweet to me. What do I find. Sweeteners, Abrasives and some that cause bleeding gums. I scrub now using no paste. I did this as an experiment at first not telling anyone to see if my family noticed as they would tell me if my breath had unpleasant odours. Non did. So I told them and they were shocked by still didn't say my breath smelt. When I went recently to see my dental hygienist for my 6 monthly check up her first words were,without looking first, so you're here for a clean. I said no to see if anything is needed and explained about my experiment. She had a look and said they're good apart from a little bit St the bottom. My reply was I'll scrub there a bit longer then.

My point is most people(read Me) just go blindly with what the 'experts' say without question (not now though). In the dental industry case it's adding ingredients that perpetuate the need to visit the professional to rectify what they started in the first place with bad advice.

Of course they will disagree after all they have to protect their investments. Hence the massive marketing strategy to the masses.
Awhile ago I remember an adverts saying you can't repair damage to teeth by brushing alone. What have they brought out now. Toothpaste that 'repairs and is stronger than the enamel' . I'm guessing another marketing ploy to get more of the market.

NowClosed11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was even looking at the ingredients in toothpaste as that always tastes sweet to me. What do I find. Sweeteners, Abrasives and some that cause bleeding gums. I scrub now using no paste. I did this as an experiment at first not telling anyone to see if my family noticed as they would tell me if my breath had unpleasant odours. Non did. So I told them and they were shocked by still didn't say my breath smelt. When I went recently to see my dental hygienist for my 6 monthly check up her first words were,without looking first, so you're here for a clean. I said no to see if anything is needed and explained about my experiment. She had a look and said they're good apart from a little bit St the bottom. My reply was I'll scrub there a bit longer then.

My point is most people(read Me) just go blindly with what the 'experts' say without question (not now though). In the dental industry case it's adding ingredients that perpetuate the need to visit the professional to rectify what they started in the first place with bad advice.

Of course they will disagree after all they have to protect their investments. Hence the massive marketing strategy to the masses.
Awhile ago I remember an adverts saying you can't repair damage to teeth by brushing alone. What have they brought out now. Toothpaste that 'repairs and is stronger than the enamel' . I'm guessing another marketing ploy to get more of the market.

Simple answer
Yep
And Yarp

Bigbloke48

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lies,
Nope I still make cakes and bread and cook
But the levels I put in don't change my intake has !!!
And yes some dinners I make have been changed
Well one needs a whole jar of honey
That had to change lol

But yes the food I eat has changed a bit
But how I prep food has not
As fresh I know what it is

The main issue is with pre pack and made foods
We as humans mostly take the easy rout to food these days
Owing to work - life - etc
Shame really ...
As last night I did honey backed chicken
That was the one that had a jar full ... Once
Now just a table alone and dry roast
So we and people can make that choice
Just most don't or don't have time
Or just don't care am sorry to say

Ok
I will stop now lol

Haha. No you've done it. Addmitted to the world you cheat. Lol It's the first step to rehabilitation lol

You're right it is a shame as people don't realised the harm they are doing. Ie potentially shortening their lives.

It's only when the doc says" if you don't take this seriously you'll die. People around here with T2 diabetes die around 62yrs of age. So at age 66 you're living on borrowed time. Big wake up call.

It's good to rant but without getting stressed.

Reactions: 2 people

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you don't eat processed foods then you won't eat hidden added sugars.
I think the government will have difficulty implanting the recent SACN advice to reduce the not so hidden intake of sugar anyway.
The sugar contained in the diet of average 4-10 year olds in the UK doesn't come from non dessert products. Apparently, It comes
  • 30% from soft drinks and fruit juice
  • 29% mainly from biscuits, cakes and breakfast cereals
  • 22% from sweets, chocolate, table sugar, jams and other sweet spreads
  • 12% from yoghurts, fromage frais, ice-cream, and other dairy desserts
Moreover
  • sugars account for 12.4% of adult daily energy intake and 15% of young peoples
  • teenagers consume 3 times more sugar than the new SACN recommendation, with most coming from high-sugar drinks
Reducing the amount in these products and getting people to reduce consumption of them should do more to reduce sugar intake than putting the emphasis elsewhere.
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/phe-urges-parents-to-cut-sugary-drinks-from-childrens-diets

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Be very careful, 'scrubbing' teeth. The best way is from the bottom upwards, at at angle so you don't damage the gums, at the front and back too. My dentist is great, the best one I have had. On my first appointment she told me it should be 90 % care from the patient and just 10 % from the dentist. MY teen, who is nearly 15 has never had any fillings,which is brilliant, but I have had a lot of work done. However my 6 year old granddaughter has had at least 4 fillings, so I'm concerned about that and she is type 1.

Bigbloke48

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lies,
If you don't eat processed foods then you won't eat hidden added sugars.
I think the government will have difficulty implanting the recent SACN advice to reduce the not so hidden intake of sugar anyway.
The sugar contained in the diet of average 4-10 year olds in the UK doesn't come from non dessert products. Apparently, It comes
  • 30% from soft drinks and fruit juice
  • 29% mainly from biscuits, cakes and breakfast cereals
  • 22% from sweets, chocolate, table sugar, jams and other sweet spreads
  • 12% from yoghurts, fromage frais, ice-cream, and other dairy desserts
Moreover
  • sugars account for 12.4% of adult daily energy intake and 15% of young peoples
  • teenagers consume 3 times more sugar than the new SACN recommendation, with most coming from high-sugar drinks
Reducing the amount in these products and getting people to reduce consumption of them should do more to reduce sugar intake than putting the emphasis elsewhere.
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/phe-urges-parents-to-cut-sugary-drinks-from-childrens-diets
Yet another think tank with probably yet another recommendation for people to reduce their intake. Instead of forcing the food industry to massively cut the amounts of sugar and sweeteners they put in. Watch this space.

Bigbloke48

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lies,
What about including the following statements on high sugar food stuffs; "WARNING: This product contains high amounts of sugar which can seriously affect your health"

Just like the smoking tag line. I know people still smoke as an addiction but isn't sugar addiction as harmful albeit in a different way.

One could say the government are reluctant because the financial implications alone are massive.
If they implement such strategies then more people live longer so have to payout more in pensions etc.

Words are cheap it's action that is needed.

NowClosed11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Errrr sugar has been found to have mind altering functions
A dopamine effect
But no gov
Will
Say it's an addictive

Funny that eh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
What about including the following statements on high sugar food stuffs; "WARNING: This product contains high amounts of sugar which can seriously affect your health"

Just like the smoking tag line. I know people still smoke as an addiction but isn't sugar addiction as harmful albeit in a different way.

One could say the government are reluctant because the financial implications alone are massive.
If they implement such strategies then more people live longer so have to payout more in pensions etc.

Words are cheap it's action that is needed.

Actions speak louder than words.......................

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They will keep putting sugar in food until we stop buying it . I don't think that the government should ban sugar but I think It would be nice if there was information on the label saying how much sugar has been added to a product along with the total sugar . We don't need a nanny state telling us what we can eat . Better education and information . If government banned sugar it would create a black market . I'm just thinking of a back garden with sugar cane growing or sugar beet
Clive

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Since switching to organic food in 2012, my tastebuds got gradually more and more sensitive. A well known brand of tomato soup tastes sweet n sour to me. Tinned tomatoes taste sweet. Cherry tomatoes taste almost as sweet as grapes. Rollmops taste sweet.

Simultaneously, as my tastebuds have improved, my tolerance for processed carbs has gone down.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App