Stopping smoking

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I too have been wondering how you're getting on @drahawkins_1973 ?

I've treated myself to a vapy thing today in the hopes of giving up next week...not sure I'm ready if I'm honest but chances are I'll never be ready so just got to pitch in and just do it. Don't like the idea of all those chemicals in vapy thing but can't be as bad as all the rubbish in cigs...and if it works...Great!

Hope you're doing well and your will power is holding out.

Reactions: 2 people

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I've treated myself to a vapy thing today in the hopes of giving up next week...not sure I'm ready if I'm honest but chances are I'll never be ready so just got to pitch in and just do it. Don't like the idea of all those chemicals in vapy thing but can't be as bad as all the rubbish in cigs...and if it works...Great!

Hi Natalie.
It never feels like the right time does it.
I think the e-cig helps. I don't use it all the time but when I had a glass of wine my resolve was going and so I used it then.
I'm two weeks in now and at the point where I feel I am turning a corner. I don't want a normal cig now as I can't think of having to go through the last 2 weeks again which I think means I'm prob getting over the chemical addiction. I still think I'm missing the habit of doing it but I think I need it less.
If you need some support if you give it a go next week then please post and I'll try and help!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Natalie.
It never feels like the right time does it.
I think the e-cig helps. I don't use it all the time but when I had a glass of wine my resolve was going and so I used it then.
I'm two weeks in now and at the point where I feel I am turning a corner. I don't want a normal cig now as I can't think of having to go through the last 2 weeks again which I think means I'm prob getting over the chemical addiction. I still think I'm missing the habit of doing it but I think I need it less.
If you need some support if you give it a go next week then please post and I'll try and help!!

It's never going to be easy.

Although having said that...I did it a few years back using hypnotherapy and found it fairly easy if I'm honest...the day after I gave up I found myself standing in a pub drinking a glass of wine and surrounded by people smoking and I didn't even flinch.
Difference is that I wanted to do it then...at the minute I feel a bit bullied which is never a good reason to do it...if anything it makes me want to smoke more...must be my rebellious streak lol.

I do have another reason though...I spoke to a diabetic friend of mine last week in an attempt to get her to come along to the meet in London in a couple of weeks time...she had to decline as she was recovering from a toe amputation...despite knowing that she gave up many years ago and is a fair bit older than me etc etc...it put the fear of god into me...and I know this is a very real smoking related complication that I'd really love to avoid...I'd never realised how fond I am of my toes until now lol.

If it's not too personal a question...what was it that finally forced you into making the decision to give up?

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry to hear about your friend.

I've always known smoking is bad but it's never been enough to make me stop because you just don't think it will happen to you.

Anyway I was having to have some dental work done and my dentist said I really shouldn't smoke as this and being diabetic was making things worse. I just thought right a good time to try.
I'm amazed I've managed so far to be honest. So nothing as severe as losing a toe but maybe it was just enough of a nudge in the right direction.
I plan to count up my savings as I go along and if I make it, pay to have my teeth whitened as a reward. Vain I know it's a good incentive at moment.

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry to hear about your friend.

I've always known smoking is bad but it's never been enough to make me stop because you just don't think it will happen to you.

Anyway I was having to have some dental work done and my dentist said I really shouldn't smoke as this and being diabetic was making things worse. I just thought right a good time to try.
I'm amazed I've managed so far to be honest. So nothing as severe as losing a toe but maybe it was just enough of a nudge in the right direction.
I plan to count up my savings as I go along and if I make it, pay to have my teeth whitened as a reward. Vain I know it's a good incentive at moment.

She'll be fine...she's tough as old boots bless her ;)

Sounds like as good a reason as any...and the incentive helps...which is a good thought...I need to dream up one of those before Monday...something to aim for will make it so much easier.

Best of luck...hope the weekend goes well :)

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
She'll be fine...she's tough as old boots bless her ;)

Sounds like as good a reason as any...and the incentive helps...which is a good thought...I need to dream up one of those before Monday...something to aim for will make it so much easier.

Best of luck...hope the weekend goes well :)
Hi Natalie.
Are you going to go for it tomorrow?
Will be willing you on. Did you pick something to treat yourself to with the money you save?
Good luck!!!
Andrea

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Natalie.
Are you going to go for it tomorrow?
Will be willing you on. Did you pick something to treat yourself to with the money you save?
Good luck!!!
Andrea

Hey @drahawkins_1973

I failed :(...was all going really well until my daughter passed her driving test yesterday...bubbles just didn't seem right without a smoke...regretting it in more ways than one today :hungover:.

I'm not going to stress over it...I'm going to start again next week...I think I'll aim for Tuesday...so I can get my stressy Monday morning out of the way...as this was something I found quite hard yesterday.

I've still not thought of an incentive...although thinking a holiday might be nice :)

How're you getting on? Any easier this week?

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Natalie,

Congratulations for you daughter passing her test. Was it first time? (took me 3 attempts but got there eventually!).

Things are definitely getting easier as time goes on. I always thought I'd never be able to stop my first cig of the day but actually I got to work today and realised I hadn't even thought about it. I do hope I am over the worse and I don't relapse.

Don't be too down on yourself, as you said there is no point stressing just give it another go.

A holiday...sounds like a good plan :)

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you. It was her fourth attempt...she suffers quite badly with nerves so was a bit of a big deal...bless her. She was unbearably full of herself last night though...absolutely ecstatic
Now for the next part...cars and sleepless nights...this parenting thing never ends eh.

It's a small set back...but I'll get there

Last edited by a moderator:
C

chris lowe

Good luck, just go for it. First few weeks will be the worst but if you can mange to grit your teeth and get through it you'll be doing well and it can only get better as you go further on.

C

chris lowe

It's never going to be easy.

Although having said that...I did it a few years back using hypnotherapy and found it fairly easy if I'm honest...the day after I gave up I found myself standing in a pub drinking a glass of wine and surrounded by people smoking and I didn't even flinch.
Difference is that I wanted to do it then...at the minute I feel a bit bullied which is never a good reason to do it...if anything it makes me want to smoke more...must be my rebellious streak lol.

I do have another reason though...I spoke to a diabetic friend of mine last week in an attempt to get her to come along to the meet in London in a couple of weeks time...she had to decline as she was recovering from a toe amputation...despite knowing that she gave up many years ago and is a fair bit older than me etc etc...it put the fear of god into me...and I know this is a very real smoking related complication that I'd really love to avoid...I'd never realised how fond I am of my toes until now lol.

If it's not too personal a question...what was it that finally forced you into making the decision to give up?
Sorry to hear about your friend. Your friend giving up when she did probably saved her whole foot. Some people just can't give up whatever the price. My sister in law has emphasemia but just can't (or just doesn't want) to give up. She knows what it's like as well as her mother had it as well

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Coming up to my 4 week mark. Still haven't had a normal cigarette! Hoorah. I'm still using my e-cig, not constantly but just when I'm out in the pub when I'm having a glass of wine. And I have swapped to a nicotine free liquid so I'm sure I'm getting over the nicotine addiction

I still get cravings where I really really fancy a cigarette but I'm so pleased that I'm managing to resist!!! It does worry me that I'll always have a niggling to have one, does that ever go away???But didn't think I'd get this far so I'm trying to keep positive.
I'm counting up my money saved for my treat :)

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm up to 10 weeks!
I must admit I've put a little weight on :-(
But keep telling myself to keep going and I can lose that over time.
I'm still using my e-cig esp when I have a glass of wine which is not ideal but for now it's really helping the odd craving I'm still having.

Reactions: 8 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm up to 10 weeks!
I'm still using my e-cig esp when I have a glass of wine which is not ideal but for now it's really helping the odd craving I'm still having.

Well done you :D It's hard but so worth giving up....you will be fit enough to run any extra pounds off if you keep it up :)

Reactions: 6 people

Janiept

Expert
I'm up to 10 weeks!

Well done drahawkins it's good to hear from you, in fact I was wondering how you were doing just today. I have been given an e-cig as an incentive to give up so the day is getting closer. I'm down to 7 'normal' cigs a day but still worrying about weight gain. Do you think you have gained because you're eating more or because your metabolism has slowed down?

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done drahawkins it's good to hear from you, in fact I was wondering how you were doing just today. I have been given an e-cig as an incentive to give up so the day is getting closer. I'm down to 7 'normal' cigs a day but still worrying about weight gain. Do you think you have gained because you're eating more or because your metabolism has slowed down?
Hi Janiept.
About the weight gain, I think it's probably a bit of both, a bit of extra snacking but also due to metabolism slowing down too.
I say that because I felt a bit sluggish and tired for a while but now definitely feeling better.
I really don't want to put you off stopping if you're worried about weight gain but sadly I did find it did affect my weight.
I know people will say a few pounds is better for your health than smoking but it doesn't feel like that when you want to stop does it!
Good luck when the day comes will be here for support if you need it :)
Andrea

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel bad now Janiept about telling you about the weight gain as I know you're worried about it.
But it has levelled out and it may not be the same for you so please don't let me put you off!!!

Janiept

Expert
I feel bad now Janiept about telling you about the weight gain as I know you're worried about it.
But it has levelled out and it may not be the same for you so please don't let me put you off!!!

No don't feel bad i'd prefer it if you were honest so thanks for your feedback.
The only (?) problem I have at the moment is that the doctors have me on a cocktail of meds which has caused me to gain 8lb :eek: despite the fact that i'm eating exactly the same food as before health problems, so the thought of gaining even more if I finally manage to quit the cigs is a bit daunting.
Oh well,winter will be here before we know it, so that's another good reason to stop and not have to brave the elements ;)

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogant and ignorant people.
Hats off to Rowlands Pharmacy they are super quick this time with my delivery. Only order some more Nicorette Carts on Friday and postman just knocked me up half hour ago with the package. Enough nicotine to sustain me for another 3 months or so. Think id go mad if i wasnt getting me hit lol much safer than those **** sticks i used to use 2 years and 7 months ago. Its amazing how many peeps ive seen with them E-cigs i dont really like them things and they seem more expensive than my trusty Nicorette. E-cigs are banned in some places such as buses and Trains and Wertherspoons. Nicorette isnt. I remember once one security bloke approached me in the bus station and asked is that an E-cig you are using and i said nope he said thats fine then we dont allow people to use them.

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogant and ignorant people.
Well done to all those who have given up and to those who are thinking of giving up you dont need to despair help is at hand. I used the NHS stop smoking service they were brilliant and i could not have done it without them. It also boils down to determination and thinking of what you could do with the money you save and how much more healthy you will be. There are other ways to help as well with those E-cigs which i havent tried that liquid ones. I started out on an E-cig that looked like a real cig except it was harmless it was a pain charging it each night. Giving up was the best thing i ever did. Good luck folks you can do it :)