Where to put my cannulas

deb2008

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, I've been using a pump for about four years now, but one of my biggest problems is finding places to put my cannula without reusing the same places too much. I mainly use my hips around the sides but they can start hurting after sleeping on them then I'll wake with a bg of 20 like this morning Any good places people use? Thx

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I'm surprised your team! haven't explained to you where to put your cannulas
You have plenty of choice ......... tum for one.

deb2008

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It doesn't work for me in my tummy. Maybe cos I've got little kids, carrying them, it's always painful within an hour or two. Anywhere else?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
It doesn't work for me in my tummy. Maybe cos I've got little kids, carrying them, it's always painful within an hour or two. Anywhere else?
Well use a different cannula for different body locations, problem solved. If I can carry 20kg lambs with a cannula in my tum I'm sure you can carry a child without a problem :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
What about using your bum, I'll tag @donnellysdogs to advise as she would often use this area when using a insulin pump.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Arms I use and find very comfortable as well as legs however I find legs dont last too long as I catch it and pull it out. not a huge problem just more frequent replacements (2 days or so)

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
anywhere really with a bit of subcutaneous tissue.............i use my upper thighs and stomach, mostly thighs though........

you can usually still see the mark from the last one on my thighs so when its time to go back to that leg I just avoid that area.....

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@noblehead thanks, where abouts in bum is good cos I worried I'd sit on it and it would move. @Engineer88 thanks do u use the tricep part?

I've not used my bum as yet, did use it often on MDI for my basal insulin though.

Much like yourself I have a few concerns about using the bum............hence why I tagged DD to offer some advice.

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello. If you like hips have you tried your back? I started going right round to my back on both sides and find it effective and very comfy. I also use the area between my ribs and above my waist which works very well.

When I use my hips I never sleep on the side the set is in. I've trained myself to only sleep on one side - otherwise my sets get painful and don't work so well or fail. I'm sure my DSN told me this years back as well.

Also have a look at http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/faq/setspots.shtml

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi

Yes I used the only fatty bit on my body which was my bum cheeks.

I used these for nigh on 30 years- including 5 years of pumping. I can still use for MDI jabs. Can't use pump anymore as I haven't got enough fat anywhere now to keep a needle in permanently.

I couldn't use my stomach at all with cannula a as just to lean and muscly.

Now I'm off my pump I can still use my bum for MDI. It's still beautiful, no lumps or bumps, just that Cannot have needles in me permanently anymore.

Bum was wonderful. Used to use one side one week with pump on my arm, then swop sides and so on.

deb2008

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks @MushyPeaBrain, yes I go round the back a bit too, on the love handles area really! Cos that's the main fatty bit on me, can't seem to use my front tummy area at all, just not enough fat so uncomfy and painful. Thanks for the try too.
@donnellysdogs, I'll have to give the bum cheeks a try, would you say anywhere on them or the sides etc? I feel like if I sit on the cannula it will hurt?
Thanks so much everyone, I've never been on this forum before, it's really nice to have helpful supportive answers

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Thanks @MushyPeaBrain, yes I go round the back a bit too, on the love handles area really! Cos that's the main fatty bit on me, can't seem to use my front tummy area at all, just not enough fat so uncomfy and painful. Thanks for the try too.
@donnellysdogs, I'll have to give the bum cheeks a try, would you say anywhere on them or the sides etc? I feel like if I sit on the cannula it will hurt?
Thanks so much everyone, I've never been on this forum before, it's really nice to have helpful supportive answers

I used to sit down to put my sets in, so I could reach round as far as the crack if needed without fear of being sat on...I could not do any area that was over bone, ie the sides because I would feel like I felt the I hit the bone!!

Found it so easy that I never had to look, could do it blindfolded!!