Curious! How and what do you all take to treat your hypos?

silky1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Some very useful tips for us newbies - although I was "officially" diagnosed a week and a half ago (I'm convinced I've been so for much longer

For more years than i can remember I've had incidences where my sugar has felt like it's suddenly gone through the floor - making me cold, sweaty and clammy - making me grab for (usually) lucozade - now as I realise I used to go the other way

I was intrigued with someone's comment about having hypos during the night regularly - when I was in hospital the last time with pancreatitis - one of the nurses woke me in the middle of the night - checked my sugar and made me drink a can of (WARM) Lucozade.

Had I been awake I would have picked it up - my question is how on earth would a nurse know?

Eldorado

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
Some very useful tips for us newbies - although I was "officially" diagnosed a week and a half ago (I'm convinced I've been so for much longer

For more years than i can remember I've had incidences where my sugar has felt like it's suddenly gone through the floor - making me cold, sweaty and clammy - making me grab for (usually) lucozade - now as I realise I used to go the other way

I was intrigued with someone's comment about having hypos during the night regularly - when I was in hospital the last time with pancreatitis - one of the nurses woke me in the middle of the night - checked my sugar and made me drink a can of (WARM) Lucozade.

Had I been awake I would have picked it up - my question is how on earth would a nurse know?
Probably a routine check because of the pancreatitis. Unless she has super special powers. But my experience of nurses would make me doubt that very much....
I think I saw a TV program some time ago where dogs were able to detect low BG. Unfortunately my golden retriever can't, or he's not telling me anyway! Like the picture of your Labrador btw.

briantaffy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Probably a routine check because of the pancreatitis. Unless she has super special powers. But my experience of nurses would make me doubt that very much....
I think I saw a TV program some time ago where dogs were able to detect low BG. Unfortunately my golden retriever can't, or he's not telling me anyway! Like the picture of your Labrador btw.
Going low really depends on what kind of exercise I am doing. Walking I shall gradually come to a halt and keel over. Spinning I really need a good drink or dextrose. I have lost nearly all my warning signs, but a good [new] one for me is....remember when you inadvertently looked at the sun and quickly turned away - it left a seared white shape on your retina. Well, that is what I see when I go low. Never fails.

From young A-I Brian.

FlopsyMopsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I am just curious to how and what we all take to treat our hypos?
When I first became Type 1 Diabetic in 1993 I was told to have a glass of milk and eat 2 Digestive biscuits.
For the past 14 years though I have 15ml of Lucozade and Alpen Bars. I then wait 10 to 15mins and check my blood sugar again.
Lucozade for the instant sugar and Alpen Bars because they are made of oats and oats are a slow release carbohydrate, so less likely my blood sugar will drop again.
How about you?
Hi

FlopsyMopsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, yes I use Jelly Babies to bring levels back up quickly and then have a cereal bar for a bit more of slow release energy. I have been T1 since 1999. Things have changed quite a bit in that time. I always keep JBs in the car and cereal bars also in handbags, by the bed etc.

Reactions: 2 people

Bingki Rose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance and cruelty to animals and people
The TV program you saw about dogs being able to detect low BG is very true!
Both my Husky and my Border Collie can detect before I can.
I normally feel a hypo around 3.8 but my dogs would start fussing over me about 10mins before, they will jump on the bed and lick me, if im sat in a chair they will put their heads on my lap and cry and if im standing they nudge me with their noses on my legs.
I have never taught them they just do it.
They can sense the pear drop smell that we give off through our bodies when sugar drops.
Amazing dogs :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
My dog used to get under the duvet when I was hypo by coming up to the top from her normal sleeping place on the corner.
Generally speaking it was enough to wake me up having a dogs bum or tail stuffed in my face and then licking me!!

Miss her so much.

The day she died our other girlie that used to sleep on a duvet in the hall and never jumped on the bed.. Well that 1st night she lifted her paws up on the bed to be lifted up and went and laid down on the corner of the bed and she then took over as my guardian...

The hubby?? Well he's always shuffled in to the corner! Thankfully a 6' bed. No longer got my girlies now and miss that extra bit of security (and undying love) they gave me.

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Using pump so only correct Hypo tend to use 2-4 jelly babies. Or fruit pastilles if in hot climate as don't melt! Used to use sugar as child but absorbed less quickly than glucose hate glucose tablets. Also can use 1/2 can of normal fanta etc. I understand comments re female variations age associated after 49 years type 1, /hence change to pump as night time swings variations a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

PD Oz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I remember very clearly one of my first hypos - It was a 3.1 and I just ate crazily. 300 ml of lucozade, two slices of toast and some cereal... 28.1 an hour later! :O It certainly was a steep learning curve that first week :)
Indeed I remember overreacting to a 3am hypo of 3.2 with too many Jelly beans, and scottish shortbread biscuits in about the first month. Didn't get anywhere that gianormous reading though but was off balance for a couple of days. However after lots of trial and error I discovered that 3 jelly beans for me = about a 1.0 increase in BS levels. eg if 3.5 take 3 jelly beans then 4.5 rapidly thereafter etc A bit of water adds to the absorbtion. Good to get a little bit of water if happening at night and want to sleep a bit easier knowing this will help absorbtion. I aim to avoid overacting if close to a normal meal and the last dose of insulin is fading or has worn off. When I do start getting low and know it is still heading south (mainly mid afternoons and after activity if it does occur) I will slowly enjoy and savor some treat such as scottish shortbread and that tends to balance perfectly to the next meal.

Insulinman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Idiots
Hi All
Lucozade 1 - 2 - 3 Small glasses 50ml, "And" for solid CarB Fun size Mars, Not that I like them "YOU" Understand!!!!!
Insulinman still on a Pump.

AmandaD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
if its a middle of the night hypo its always Rice Krispies has been for the last 30 years they're just my 'hypo' food. If I'm out its sweets or lucozade. Got my new pump with CGM now which suspends if CGM indicates my blood sugar is falling too quick and will go into my low limit soon...absolutely great cos hypos are stopped before they happen :)

Xan2cv

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liars, nose pickers and eaters especially in public view, sweaty arm pits, smelly feet, DVT's and PE's they hurt a lot. High Sugars.
if I feel my sugars dropping slowly and I am slightly disorientated I'll eat an oat cereal bar.

if I feel as though I'm going to pass out

Liquid sucrose you can buy it in a blue tube made by silver spoon it is to keep icing on cakes soft.
a clear thick liquid almost tasteless one teaspoon has an instantaneous effect it is absorbed very quickly indeed. it works about five times faster than Dextrose tablets.

videoman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all there, after 55 years ,I have had many "HYPOS" and have always treated them the same way with either Ice Cream or Maynard’s sweets as it is the only time I can eat these things with a clear conscience

Yerusha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am just now learning about Hypo so not too sure how to recognize it as yet, strange though, since i have cut out literally all forms of sugar from my diet except the ones hidden in some foods like root veg and Rye Bread which i eat, i get a feeling of weakness at times more like a slight dizzy feeling.. Any ideas?

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
Depends what I can find in my son's sweet draw :) If nothing useful then I've always got jelly babies or dextrose to hand. I had hypo last night and found some tic tacs and over consumed , with my fasting blood glucose slightly on the high side this morning :-(

Icewing

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Glucose tablets are the best, I have packets lying all over the house, a packet in every jacket pocket and packets in the car.
After taking the glucose tablet and my sugars are at a safe level I usually eat a few crackers with peanut butter.
It works for me :)

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dates, glass of milk. My hypos haven't been extreme for years, and I test about ten times a day so I will often eat half an apple or half a banana to head it off rather than go into a full-on hypo.