Curious! How and what do you all take to treat your hypos?

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If I'm at home I'll usually just have some lucozade but if I'm out walking or at work I tend to have a snack of some kinds as I have a tendency to keep dropping low if I don't.

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
3 'glugs' of lucozade or some other sweet drink or 6 dextrose. If I will eat within the hour that is all that I will do but other than that I will have 20g of carbs and it just depends what is about and what I fancy. Might be anything from crisps to toast to a couple of biscuits. In my bag I have dextrose and whatever is cheapest when I run out. It is animal chocolate biscuit things at the moment.

Reactions: 3 people

loliver1

When I was first diagnosed it was suggested I use glucose tablets and then some carbs- I used digestive biscuits if it was a short time before a meal and toast and peanut butter for longer I am going to be on a pump and will only need quick acting sugars so glucose tablets or a sugary drink- I am going to have little cans of coke or bottles of 7 up

Reactions: 2 people

Moosepig

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes, people who think they know everything!
I remember a few years back I got up with very low suger level. I had half a box of cat munchies dipped in jam. I would not recommend it to anyone so now I use Gluco Tabs far less fishy.
Yuk!!!! I don't think my cats would be impressed if I stole their food......i can recover on half a jelly baby followed within an hour by a banana - so sugar sensitive!!

Bingki Rose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance and cruelty to animals and people
I use liquid glucose prescribed by my GP it works much quicker than tablets.
Yes I have seen these! I do believe for some people like ourselves that liquid works faster.

Bingki Rose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Has anyone used the Dextrose 'Sport Nutrition' Tablets? I just noticed them in a local store yesterday.
I personally haven't no. I don't like Dextrose, I prefer Gluco Tabs ( sold in Boots) less chalky.

russell621

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, sugar water is the quickest acting for me, boiled water on 3 teaspoons of sugar, then a little cold water to make it drinkable, starts working with in minutes

Eldorado

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
If I'm at home I drink some fruit juice (raspberry and rhubarb is my favourite). If I'm out I'll eat a Goodies bar. They're 16g of carb and 116 calories. Actually quite nice. A sort of soft oaty bar, no nuts, and the apricot or raspberry is rather nice. It's a fine line between something I don't mind eating if I have to and something so nice I will eat it anyway! Otherwise 3-4 of the Juicy Gluco Tabs. Can't stand those dextrose things. After many years I've finally realised it doesn't really take all that many carbs to get back on track again. I used to do more uncontrollable bingeing than was strictly necessary.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I think that one of the most important things is to have something we like when hypo. If a person was to offer me coke when hypo they would get an argument or indeed anything that was a sugary cold drink. Purely because I dislike them. Same with even chocolate or sweets. It wouldn't matter. I know once I even refused a creme egg!

Eldorado

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
I think that one of the most important things is to have something we like when hypo. If a person was to offer me coke when hypo they would get an argument or indeed anything that was a sugary cold drink. Purely because I dislike them. Same with even chocolate or sweets. It wouldn't matter. I know once I even refused a creme egg!
I agree. A hypo for me is the perfect excuse to have something that's normally forbidden!

Reactions: 3 people

Matt J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm easy, so anything sweet for me - but it may as well be something you like so I usually go for chocolate, Years ago I used to have dextrosol tablets, absolutely awful. I used to find half eaten packets in my coat pockets with the tablets stuck together. I also get dextrose gel from the docs - it used to be called hypostop but the pharmacy just gives me any generic brand now, It looks like and has the consistency of wallpaper paste and again tastes awful - but it does the job.

Bingki Rose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
How many of you get or have had the " What does a hypo feel like?" question, while you are having a hypo? lol :stop:

I do feel for people who are just curious and we end up ripping their heads off :rolleyes:

Reactions: 4 people

Bingki Rose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I'm easy, so anything sweet for me - but it may as well be something you like so I usually go for chocolate, Years ago I used to have dextrosol tablets, absolutely awful. I used to find half eaten packets in my coat pockets with the tablets stuck together. I also get dextrose gel from the docs - it used to be called hypostop but the pharmacy just gives me any generic brand now, It looks like and has the consistency of wallpaper paste and again tastes awful - but it does the job.
Oh god yes Hypostop! Like you said it does the job but :***:. Didn't realise they still did a hypostop actually, I haven't had it for over 10 years now.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
We get any generic brand now too of the old hypostop.
I've never been asked ever by anybody what a hypo feels like.. Just reminded on a few occasions of the stupid things I say or do!! Ie calling ambulance man "baldie"- something I would never in normal thoughts!!

oldnevada

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sugar, in all it's iterations.
I'm using Dex4. Bloody expensive but 1/2 a tablet works fast. Rarely have to take a full tablet. I may take a tbs of jam with it.

jayantilal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am type 2 and on tablets. Occasionaly I get hypo. This is especially in the early mornings. I think this is because I eat less in the evening or at night and take less about half dose of my diabetes Metformin of 800 mg. Normally metformin does not cause hypo but it might be other herbal and vitabims like glucosomine which are added with other substances might be causing my hypos. I take few tabs of Detrox tab of glucose and also some chocolate biscuit or two until I feel my sugar getting normal. The government and health authorities have curtailed giving test strips to type 2 diabetis people and I buy my own strips to cope with measuring my sugar everyday.

bobandpat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use 1 or 2 Glucotabs followed by 15gm sultanas or raisins. Doesn't matter where I am always use the same. I have the 10 tube of tabs in virtually every coat/jacket/bag/cycle handlebar bag and I put the fruit into empty glucose strip pots, they carry the 15gm that I need nicely and fit into pockets etc. no problem. Also I'm getting something towards my 5 a day if I have to use anything.

I usually need to rest for 10mins for it to work though so if we're out on our tandem or walking that's a good excuse for a rest, his legs are longer and faster than mine so I have trouble keeping up with him. :D

Reactions: 4 people