Treats on special occasions

KimG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You are doing great Kim you obviously have the right attitude to your diabetes and what you eat ,not like a friend of ours with diabetes who was told by his nurse that he could have a treat every so often .When he comes to us each week he brings a pack of 4 cakes for himself and my husband ,he has 2 or 3chocolate biscuits on a Sunday and goodness knows what in the week ! Because his nurse says it is ok !
CAROL
Yikes! These nurses need to wise up to LCHF and not the "eat well" plan which is not really suitable.

Reactions: 4 people

Alzebra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One of my diversions when the chocolate is calling is a glass of red wine :happy: Despite my profile pic / avatar, I only drink about 3 175ml glasses a month so it feels like a luxury.

Reactions: 2 people

KimG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One of my diversions when the chocolate is calling is a glass of red wine :happy: Despite my profile pic / avatar, I only drink about 3 175ml glasses a month so it feels like a luxury.
Lol, my kind of glass, it's not too bad on carbs either:) well that glass might be;)

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
Thank you for that Alzebra:)

Thank you Poohtiggy. 26 years.
You deserved that treat then congratulations again, we got to forty by which time hubby was very poorly & passed away soon after but am blessed we had all those years

Reactions: 8 people

KimG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You deserved that treat then congratulations again, we got to forty by which time hubby was very poorly & passed away soon after but am blessed we had all those years
I'm sorry to hear that. You must have fond memories. ;)

Northerngirl

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
So pleased to read so many supportive comments on here. It's very hard to ask questions when you are new on here.

Reactions: 10 people

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
So pleased to read so many supportive comments on here. It's very hard to ask questions when you are new on here.
No worry, you ask a question somebody will have an answer, well mostly, we don't mind how many you ask. Asking questions is the best way to learn, how to understand this disease and it's complications, so please don't be afraid to ask, remember we all started at the beginning

Reactions: 9 people

elaineste

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Can I firstly say that the comments made by some of you on here are disgusting!! Your life's must be very boring if you never slow yourselves a treat every now and again. Even my diabetic nurse has said you can't be good all of the time. This lady is newly diagnosed and nd one of you decided to jump down her throat?!? I guess you would jump foam my throat once is tell you I'm 31 weeks pregnant and I have a treat once a week?! But guess what? I don't care what you think because before I was pregnant I couldn't go a day without chocolate or loads carbs or sugar and now I hardly touch the stuff! The treats I have once a week are either couple biscuits or fruit related. I think I'm doing really well that we'll I haven't put any weight on. Bet the diabetic police would jump on that.

Kim I'm assuming your type 2? If you are don't cut down the carbs too much. Experiment and see how many carbs in one meal you can have that is what I have done and it works. Also having a lot of protein with carbs and fibre help your body desk with the carbs and how they are used and released.

Please don't listen to these people or person should I say who think you can't have treats and must live on thus restricted diet 100 percent of the time because it's not true.

One blip every now and then is not going to affect your overall health

Moosepig

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes, people who think they know everything!
Yesterday was our wedding anniversary, we had an Indian buffet at our local Indian restaurant. I ate a little off plan, a little square of nan, raita on my salad and a couple of tablespoons of rice with 3 table spoons of prawn patia (a little sweet) and a few bits of dry garlic chicken for a starter. My super shot up to 11.5 after an hour, 9.5 after 2 hours and 7.5 fasting this morning. Does having this kind of treat on special occasions contribute to diabetic complications? Even if you have this type of food/chinese/Italian/Spanish once every 4-6 weeks? I'm not talking about going bonkers with food, but just enjoying a little bit of what I shouldn't really have?
If you'd got back to 7.5 fasting morning reading, I don't think you suffered too badly - my reading can be that first thing with a standard evening and night, you've got to live your life as well and enjoy some occasional treats.

Reactions: 6 people

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can I firstly say that the comments made by some of you on here are disgusting!! Your life's must be very boring if you never slow yourselves a treat every now and again. Even my diabetic nurse has said you can't be good all of the time.

I think its important to remember that we have varying degrees of this condition and there are a variety of ways to manage our health. Some are able to regulate/manage their condition with the help of medication, other choose to manage it solely by diet, exercise and a change in lifestyle The latter have to be disciplined with their choices as they don't have medication to rely on to adjust any spikes they may have if a "treat" should adversely affect their blood sugars.

I agree not all the replies have been supportive. Forums are made up of diverse personalities - some have the ability to articulate their suggestions better than others, others have no contact with the outside world except via the internet. Amongst the very genuine posters, there are the occasional trolls and imposters whose sad, empty lives consist of sabotaging the efforts of those whose choices they either disagree with or which they themselves cannot comprehend

After a while we learn to sift the chaff from the wheat, taking on board only the information which is right for our particular situation and discarding that which isn't.

Reactions: 13 people

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Just celebrated my 50th Birthday and went for it tbh. I keep good control throughout the year but I feel, like many others, when there is a special occasion having high sugars for a short while won't kill me. It's worked for me for the past 17 years and don't have a single complication although I know of others who have very good control and have developed problems so the 2 don't always go together. I say live a healthy life day to day and excersize regularly but allow yourself to let you hair down from time to time.

Reactions: 13 people