ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1442345173.126415.jpg

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Thats better!! X

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
What about any snacks between meals or evenings

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Nicola has quite high doses of insulin.. Her total daily dose is far larger than the 38 units suggested. Her correction doses on pump used to be far different to what say mine were.

The 38 units was just a made-up figure to explain the Rule of 100 @donnellysdogs, it was never suggested that this was Nicola's TDD.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I dont get how the 100 rule works because every day is different as it depends on what i eat!? Me & @Cloe-1992 are confused! X

You add up your TDD over say a week and then divide by seven to get your average TDD, then you divide 100 by that figure to get your correction factor, as said earlier its only a rough guide but it shouldn't be too far away.

Reactions: 4 people
D

Deleted member 83869

You add up your TDD over say a week and then divide by seven to get your average TDD, then you divide 100 by that figure to get your correction factor, as said earlier its only a rough guide but it shouldn't be too far away.
Totally off record but are you now pumping?! :D And ohh makes sense now... thank you

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks Noblehead.. I wasn't trying to suggest it was Nicolas TDD, only that she may need some help to get to work it out....I've never found TDD worked for me as I have a 30/70 ratio etc cos of my one meal a day and lower carbing... So didn't like to advise too much...thanks for helping Nicola..

Reactions: 3 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
How are you finding it?

Really good Nicola, love pumping insulin and so pleased to be rid of the injections, particularly like the bolus options on the pump and the ability to have a lie-in on a weekend without waking in double figures.

Thanks for asking :)

Reactions: 2 people
D

Deleted member 83869

Really good Nicola, love pumping insulin and so pleased to be rid of the injections, particularly like the bolus options on the pump and the ability to have a lie-in on a weekend without waking in double figures.

Thanks for asking :)
That's okay :) i'm glad its working out for you! :)
What pump are you on?

emmalhunter

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Okay so at 14:40 I was 15.1 injected 6U of rapid 15:20 my blood is 5.1 had a biscuit with no bolus and a tea with 2 sugars 30 mins later 4.5, had another choc biscuit as I know its not a hypo yet....I am now 2.7 and well *** :(
Don't correct so harshly.. 4units as a correction is a good guideline for a max. Each unit will drop you by 3mmols on average so it's no wonder your going so low.
Take it easy and avoid overcorrecting or you'll just need to eat more.
Hope that helps Emma xx

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Don't correct so harshly.. 4units as a correction is a good guideline for a max. Each unit will drop you by 3mmols on average so it's no wonder your going so low.
Take it easy and avoid overcorrecting or you'll just need to eat more.
Hope that helps Emma xx

There are other factors to consider.. Not everyone is a 1 to 3 correction dose. We don't know how much IOB (active insulin) there was and the acting time of her insulin may also need tweaking since reurning to MDI.

A lot to look at but a basal test start would be great place to start.

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liars, dishonesty and general bad people.
Okay so at 14:40 I was 15.1 injected 6U of rapid 15:20 my blood is 5.1 had a biscuit with no bolus and a tea with 2 sugars 30 mins later 4.5, had another choc biscuit as I know its not a hypo yet....I am now 2.7 and well *** :(
---------------- right if you are on any type of bolus like me you need to understand exactly how it works I am on Novorapid and Lantus solostar - my Lantus is an 18hour longactive background insulin taken at 10 - 12 pm at night. my novorapid is a fast acting insulin which is 4 hours active and peaks at 2 hours meaning i inject for meal before hand (very important ) then I test after the 4 hours are up. you need to figure out how your insulin works and make sure your on the right ratio Insulin - carbs . hope this helps :)

nigelho

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When do you test after each meal. DAFNE recommends 4 hours after you've eaten as most quick acting insulins take that time to work. If after 2 hours you're high, it doesn't matter as it depends on what you've eaten. I don't know if you carb count but try 4 hour testing and see what your BSs are.....don't over correct .....never correct after 2 hours if you're high.