Medtronic MiniMed 640G System

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
Hubby has ordered some Panasonic Eneloop batteries as they are one of the best rechargeable batteries on market. Once they have been charged they won't discharge if left in my bag as spares. :)

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hubby has ordered some Panasonic Eneloop batteries as they are one of the best rechargeable batteries on market. Once they have been charged they won't discharge if left in my bag as spares. :)
I suspect you will find the pump can not use rechargeable batteries. So check this out. before you use them as you could damage your pump and the warranty will be invalid.

Reactions: 6 people

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I suspect you will find the pump can not use rechargeable batteries. So check this out. before you use them as you could damage your pump and the warranty will be invalid.
Rechargeable AA batteries can be used with the 640G.

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
I was told by the Medtronic Rep that I couldn't use rechargeable batteries in my 640 g.My NHS trust supply my batteries.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was told by the Medtronic Rep that I couldn't use rechargeable batteries in my 640 g.My NHS trust supply my batteries.
The user guide says you can use a fully charged AA NiMH (HR6) nickel-metal hydride rechargeable battery.

I know we couldn't use rechargeables with the Veo but they seem to have changed it for the 640G.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Same here, but why they don't supply decent lithium like Animas I don't know.
Lithium last at least twice as long
I refuse to have Animas supply the batteries for my pump. They charge £8 for two batteries. I picked up 10 batteries for £13.95 and would rather pay that than have my ccg ripped off to that amount.

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
My 640G was supplied with 2 Lithium batteries. Will look into using the rechargeables, thanks for the heads up on that! Only 3 more days of injections!!! :)

srv128

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My 640G was supplied with 2 Lithium batteries. Will look into using the rechargeables, thanks for the heads up on that! Only 3 more days of injections!!! :)
I think my 640G was also supplied with two batteries but they were the same as the ones Medtronic supply as a replacement. Standard AA energiser batteries.
Having a look back over time (6 months now) I can see the 1st battery lasted just 12 days obviously as I was playing with the dame thing so much getting used to it. The 2nd and 3rd batteries although slightly better only achieved 22 and 18 days but guess that's because at that time I was also using the Enlight sensors. Having stopped using the sensors (self funding so cant afford it) I have to say that the next 4 batteries after the sensors lasted 26, 24, 21, and 26 days, with the current one on its 14th day so in total I have used 8 batteries in 5.5 months, which no doubt will make 8 in 6 months if this one last another 10 days.
Certainly is you average out the last 4 batteries it look like the standard AA Medtronic supplied batteries will last about 24/25 days each for me so will need about 15 to get me though a full year which I don't thinks really that bad, Yes my old Veo lasted far longer than that but hey it did not have as many bells and whistles at the new 640G has.

As to cost of the batteries I have no idea as they are funded by the NHS like all of the Medtroinic spares and the price doesn't show up when ordered on-line, but no doubt as @CarbsRok stated above I bet its way more than if we were to purchase them.

Good luck in 3 days :)

Reactions: 2 people

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Have checked on Medtronic website, as long as the rechargeable batteries are fully charged AA NiMH nickel-metal hydride rechargeable batteries it's fine to use them in pump and so the Panasonic eneloops are good to use. ;-)

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks everyone for good luck wishes... am going to need it! I'm going on holiday two and a half weeks after being put on pump so that should be interesting! Lol! :p

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
As to cost of the batteries I have no idea as they are funded by the NHS like all of the Medtroinic spares and the price doesn't show up when ordered on-line, but no doubt as @CarbsRok stated above I bet its way more than if we were to purchase them.
I have the price list from Animas so can see exactly how much my CCG is charged. Hence why I now refuse point blank to order batteries from them.

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Big day for me tomorrow! Exciting! Got my Novorapid in the vials ready (haven't seen the vials in years as I've been on pens for a long time! Like a blast from the past seeing them again! Lol!), pump ready, nurse has my supplies ready and has set up an account for me to order more. :) Eeek!! :)

Reactions: 4 people

ConsultingTimeLordElf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You might want to take a notebook with you as they tell you lots of information and fast. Also take plenty to drink and maybe some snacks as you can be there for hours.
Good luck!

Reactions: 2 people

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

i can't order via medtronic website as the prices are all up there, even though i keep telling them they are yet to sort my account, or can't! i don't know, anyway they charge £5 for 4 AA energiser batteries for the 640g

Reactions: 4 people

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Interesting @candi-girl, I'm hoping they will set up an account for me asap (if they haven't already!). I have rechargeable batteries (best you can get) so fingers crossed! I will make sure I bring a notebook with me too, thanks for tip!! ;-)

Reactions: 3 people

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I am up and running and so far so good. Blood sugar is currently 6.0 after having lunch. It was weird not injecting!! :)

Reactions: 7 people