Regular moderate exercise log

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Intended for small walk this morn.. 6700 steps and took 1hr 15 mins cos of pain in my neck (not the hubby!!) walked as was so stiff and sore this morn. Just thought 30 mins would free up my mind away from the pain.. It did as the sunshine was so fabulous.

Reactions: 2 people

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
... Sometimes I am dead keen and enthusiastic and do all kinds of stuff, but I rarely continue as I intend.... I'm not so youthful anymore ... And walking is achievable. ...

I feel I'm being successful in moving myself on from occasional walks to an almost-every-day-walk person and think two things have helped.

One was getting a fitness monitor. Literally all I use it for is the steps / distance measuring, and in 4 weeks I've doubled my average daily distance, just hanging on in there now at the 10,000 steps. I like the mindlessness of it - I just go off and walk, and check come the end as to whether I'm near the day's goal. That's made me walk round the block or round to the supermarket before now, for the bit extra which means I get the satisfaction of feeling the thing buzz when I hit the target!

The other has been to just plan for the walks. Most days, I'm now realising it's possible to fit the walks in, but I was very prone to getting too settled into other (sedentary) things. I still spend most of the rest of the time in sedentary things, but planning as seriously for the walking as the other things is a first for me.

Reactions: 4 people

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
90 minutes walk today (to the fabric-selling area nearby and back - my favourite walk!)

I'm trying to combine my walks with other "chores" so i can't weasel out because I'm "too busy". This week I'm planning to walk to the shop where I saw a weights bench on sale recently to see if they actually sell weights as well. It's also about 45 minutes away but downhill on the way there and uphill on the way back - so that direction's always a bit demanding).

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
... I'm trying to combine my walks with other "chores" so i can't weasel out because I'm "too busy".

Ruth - I do just the same thing! My shopping's now getting split up over several 'walks' and what'll fit into a small rucksack.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hello, daughter is starting school in that nasty staggered way they do. So have had a week off work and a whole 2hrs to myself a day. So gym every day this week! Mix of low speed high incline treadmill, rowing (10-20mins a time), body weight and kettlebells. Not possible once back at work so then we'll see what fits in!
Keep up the good work everyone!

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello, daughter is starting school in that nasty staggered way they do. So have had a week off work and a whole 2hrs to myself a day. So gym every day this week! Mix of low speed high incline treadmill, rowing (10-20mins a time), body weight and kettlebells. Not possible once back at work so then we'll see what fits in!
Keep up the good work everyone!
That sounds great. You have found some free time! I wish I could find a gym round here.

sheikmilc

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Living in Malta temperatures 30-38 C and quite humid so at age 64 I take a walk in the morning and evening with the odd swim.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Well done Ruth. Half an hour of walking for me today. Half an hour swimming yesterday.

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A 7-mile hill walk - a first for me for many, many years! Exhausted, but feeling seriously pleased with myself. And all in lovely weather.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Blimey! We're promoting you to the "Regular extreme exercise log" thread any day now

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Blimey! We're promoting you to the "Regular extreme exercise log" thread any day now

I think I'm in a bit of a state of shock myself! Came home and had to have a long nap!

FADM2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
is it considered moderate exercise: 20 mins yoga (8 sun salutations) and other standing poses??

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
is it considered moderate exercise: 20 mins yoga (8 sun salutations) and other standing poses??

Definitely! My starting point (back in May when I was diagnosed T2) was the occasional walk on a sunny afternoon, and the short walk to my nearest supermarket. Pretty much all of the rest of my time was being spent in one sedentary activity or another.

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
so what's ur exercise routine these days?

I started off just vowing to go for a walk every day, 30 minutes minimum, but it was sometimes divided between two short walks. Somewhere or other I'd read that was a sort of minimum. Once I started to get used to that - and it was re-arranging, re-planning each day that I found so difficult - I increased the target to 45 minutes or an hour. But before I got very far with that I bought a fitness monitor (a Garmin Vivosmart), which I love because it works it all out for me - and slowly but relentlessly ups the target level! It uses the measuring in steps and I'm now up to the 10,000 average, which for me, can be a couple of hours of walking (PLUS rest times). What this means in distance is that I can now do a 6 and even a 7 mile walk - but with long rests in it and afterwards! But I'm enjoying it much more than I expected to and don't mind having to do this for the rest of my life.

FADM2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
sounds good! thinking of getting a fitness monitor.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My usual 90 minutes' walk again today. I think I want to get one of those trackers too. It sounds great.

I still haven't bought my new weights yet. Next week, I hope. For now I'll just keep walking.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
none for me today, quads and feet aching a bit, but calves surprisingly OK.

I think maybe a bit of gentle rowing tomorrow.

Next week though, while away with work I may take my swimming trunks as the hotel has a pool.