Dreams an reality

NowClosed11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Of late .. Since my four day honey moon things have got pants
My dreams used to give me clues to the fact they where indeed dreams .... An from there take control of the dream and move it along to my will - also - some may not see this - but can also give me warning of things yet to come ... As in processes things that u have to do - and when u get to so these things for real u almost get a déjà vu.

But now there is no warning - no signs
And all seem rather to real... I wake to find my self more tired - almost as if I have run
Had a fight . Failin out of the sky with no way of slowing down... Having to put a gun to someone's head and pull trigger ....covered in sweat... Not hypos .... But ....
It now takes even longer after waking to know what has happend and what was a dream

It's doing my head in an is making this chap even more angry as it seems I am losing control over the last few things I had

Like I said prob not a subject many can relate to ... But I guess to boil it down

Since starting meds ( am on nova rapid and inslatard ) but mainly since the honey moon was over this got worse

Anyone else ?!

Last edited by a moderator:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi,
I do know what you are going through.

I have always had vivid, full Technicolor, lucid dreams.
Since I was a kid, whenever I was ill I would have these dreams.
The thing is, I remembered them!
I have Reactive Hypoglycaemia, and when my blood glucose levels were fluctuating all over the place, hyper than hypo, they returned with a vengeance.
I have wrote about some of them in my blog (link below).
As well as the my dream related deja vu. Which I have regularly.
It can be disturbing but some of them are really wonderful.

You are not alone in this.

I do believe that it has to do with blood sugars.

Reactions: 2 people

rochari

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
>But now there is no warning - no signs
And all seem rather to real... I wake to find my self more tired - almost as if I have run
Had a fight . Failin out of the sky with no way of slowing down... Having to put a gun to someone's head and pull trigger ....covered in sweat... Not hypos .... But ....
It now takes even longer after waking to know what has happend and what was a dream<

Yup, been there and have a few of the t-shirts. I can only let you know what caused it for me and your situation may be different. You've described exactly what I had particualrly the falling down from the sky. The worst thing for me was how nasty the dreams could be and when waking from one covered in sweat, I'd fall asleep to go back into the same or similar dream. There was always something evil in the background of the dream and strangely it seemed to find my weak points and use them against me. I thought I was going mad. My GP listened and suggested my sugar level was perhaps dropping as I slept and this was 'natures way' of waking me to eat and fix the problem. Not sure about this but his solution fixed it i.e. eat a slice of bread before bedtime.

Of course, solutions will be different for everyone but, for me, it was definately the drop in my sugar level that caused those bl**dy horrible nightmares.

Bill

S

Shar67

The sense of doom is common in chronic illness, in this case you brain is over reacting, sometimes it is because you have a problem that is worrying you but you haven't asked for help as you are worried it will be bad news - this is all subconsciously.
I remember driving one day and this sense or daydream about being involved in a car accident that I survived but was hurt real bad, later when walking, I though I need to go to the doctor there is something wrong with me but I don't know what, so I didn't go. I ended up in ICU fighting for my life, you don't know how much you rely on breathing until your body decides not too.
Have a good think about how you are feeling and speak to someone even if you have to be referred to a physiatrist or mental health team it is better for you to get it out in the open

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I used to have chronic nightmares and sleep talking. Really bad. I would tell hubby them when he woke me during the night or he already knew because of my talking.
This has gone on for decades.
Since eliminating any sweeteners at all or preservatives I have absolutely beautiful sleep even if I have things on my mind (moving house soon)....the only thing that will still stir me is pain. I have done something to my neck for the past week and this wakes me up screaming the most horrendous language as I literally can't move. However even screaming has not given me the chronic nightmares or incessant sleep talking.

I don't actually like dreams because mine were so bad.. However I do think a lot is down to the unnatural foods we eat. Mine was sugar free gum. And twice a year a bottle of drambuiee with diet cokes. But I also check every label even for things like white wine vinegar to make sure I buy the purest foods possible to put in my coking. I never have bought any ready meal at all etc...

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't actually like dreams because mine were so bad
You might not remember the nicer ones. I would guess that you more likely to remember dreams when you are anxious, and not sleeping well in any case.
(just googling suggests a whole lot of stuff about vitamin B6 and vivid dreams. I suspect a lot of woo mixed in with some nuggets of truth)

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to have this and it wasn't until I had the Freestyle Libre with the overnight data that I realised that I was going hypo overnight followed by a liver dump and waking with normal BS reading.

With my basal adjusted I now get a much better sleep and no longer wake feeling like I'd run a marathon or fought the world.

Claire007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can relate to this. I have been having horrendous vivid nightmares since diagnosis and within the nightmare, I tell myself, 'It's ok, it's only a dream, wake up.....' So then I 'wake' but I'm not actually awake I am still in the nightmare only this time it's even more terrifying because I tell myself 'oh god it's actually real' ( I'm not sure if anyone can understand my description there!)
When I eventually wake up, I am sobbing, soaking and scared to death. My husband works away and I honestly contemplated getting into bed with my teenage son I was in such a state.
Imagine how bad that must have been!? Have you seen a teenage boys bedroom?
I can't recall if I took my BS when I woke.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I can relate to this. I have been having horrendous vivid nightmares since diagnosis and within the nightmare, I tell myself, 'It's ok, it's only a dream, wake up.....' So then I 'wake' but I'm not actually awake I am still in the nightmare only this time it's even more terrifying because I tell myself 'oh god it's actually real' ( I'm not sure if anyone can understand my description there!)
When I eventually wake up, I am sobbing, soaking and scared to death. My husband works away and I honestly contemplated getting into bed with my teenage son I was in such a state.
Imagine how bad that must have been!? Have you seen a teenage boys bedroom?
I can't recall if I took my BS when I woke.

Used to do that too... Could go back to the same nightmare dream after describing it to hubby! One night described twice and both times went back to the same dream. I rarely see them as really related to my day time thoughts either to be honest.

Sometimes open my eyes and can't actually figure out where I am either.

So glad that now sleep is better, although my Fitbit tells me I am awake or moving for at least 1/2 my sleep time. Hubby gets 90% of his sleep as sleep time in wonderful long blocks except if he gets up to go to the loo. Mine still show from just 3 hours to 4 hours true sleep each night.