Water and some can derelict (seertner) for me with porridge

Des Gray

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Hi, i am T2 my BL 4.5 - 9.5 before and after meals , I take only 1 x 250 glucovance,( metformin ) a day , Been drinking nearly 2 Lt. Full cream milk a day. I was thinking if stopped having milk, I could be diet only, it would be hard ,I love it after about 50 years, I am now 85 .

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have organic pasteurised unhomogenised whole milk from Abel & Cole although I drank skimmed for many years. I am going with my gut instinct (literally) and drinking less milk but more full fat yogurt, kefir, creme fraiche, double/single/clotted/sour cream and fromage frais. I had a nose on a website for lactose intolerant people and learned that the higher the fat content, the lower the lactose will be.

If I can get live helpful bacteria and keep my fat, calcium, protein intake the same/higher (also eating more spinach) then I'm not fussed about milk.

Ianmc1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to have IBS or I thought but now being diabetic and changing my diet it's more or less stopped

Reactions: 2 people

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Per 100ml the carb content doesn't really vary by much whether the milk is skimmed, semi skimmed or full fat. They certainly don't add sugar to it .
Milk Protein Fat Carbohydrate Calcium Calories
Whole 3.4g 4.0g 4.7g (lactose) 122mg 68kcal
Semi-skimmed 3.6g 1.8g 4.8g (lactose) 124mg 47kcal
Skimmed 3.6g 0.3g 4.9g (lactose) 129mg 35kcal
source http://www.milk.co.uk/page.aspx?intpageid=327
Skimmed milk is slightly higher in calcium (because that is in the non fat, watery bit) but much lower in vitamin A than full fat

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
The Lactose in milk is a sugar but it isn't like glucose, fructose or sucrose which affect everyones blood glucose level.

Disaccharides like lactose are quite large molecules, they are not absorbed by the small intestine. For lactose to be absorbed, it must be broken down into simpler sugars called monosaccharides. In order to do this, the body produces an enzyme called lactase in the small intestine.

Not every adult person produces Lactase to break down the lactose in milk into simpler sugars, For people of norther European stock and other areas where dairy products have been a major element of the diet for thousands of years about 30% of the population don't break down down lactose.
For those who have genes from other parts of the world where milk is not traditionally consumed the statatistics are reversed an 70% of those population don't break down lactose.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Where does it say porridge has to be made with milk? Ive often made porridge with water and salt not sugar. Along the same theme I got bored with porridge tasting the same day in day out so I started experimenting with other liquids. Flavoured teas are one of my best so far. Make the tea up leave it to go cold and cook the porridge with it the next day. There are tons of different flavours you can add to porridge without adding the sugar and milk.

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
Where does it say porridge has to be made with milk? Ive often made porridge with water and salt not sugar. Along the same theme I got bored with porridge tasting the same day in day out so I started experimenting with other liquids. Flavoured teas are one of my best so far. Make the tea up leave it to go cold and cook the porridge with it the next day. There are tons of different flavours you can add to porridge without adding the sugar and milk.

That won't change the fact that porridge is oats and oats are cereals which are Carbohydrate and top the must avoid list for some.

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Skimmed milk is fine for me. As us porridge. I use instant cuppa porridge with maple syrup. It's a small portion but just right for breakfast

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That won't change the fact that porridge is oats and oats are cereals which are Carbohydrate and top the must avoid list.
I can eat porridge and still be under 20grams of carbs for the day

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
Kyi where did you find the nutritional information you are using. Simple fact is without milk a normal 40g serving of Quaker Scott's Porridge contains 24g of Carbohydrate (excludes fibre content).
By way of comparison with other breakfast cereals two Wheetabix biscuit weigh 36g of which 26g is Carbohydrate.
For Cornflakes the carbohydrate numbers are only very slightly worse 34g of Kellogs Cornflakes contain 28g of Carbohydrate.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That won't change the fact that porridge is oats and oats are cereals which are Carbohydrate and top the must avoid list for some .
Not everyone has to avoid porridge and/or cereal - I have hot oat cereal and oatmeal with whole milk and flaxseed for breakfast during the week and it does not spike my BS. I can also eat branflakes with almonds, hazelnuts and, if available, blueberries with either whole milk or cream. We all react differently so the only sure way to be certain is to test.

Barry Holt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Drivers who speed in built up areas
Not everyone has to avoid porridge and/or cereal - I have hot oat cereal and oatmeal with whole milk and flaxseed for breakfast during the week and it does not spike my BS. I can also eat branflakes with almonds, hazelnuts and, if available, blueberries with either whole milk or cream. We all react differently so the only sure way to be certain is to test.
I should be so lucky haha

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I should be so lucky haha
I know i guess we're all different as to what we can/cannot eat. I haven't been brave enough to have some pizza yet and a wrap still increases my BS to anything between 9 and 12 so they're still off the menu!

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Daphne, have you tested your BG 2, 3, and 4 hrs after porridge? It may not spike your BG so high, but still have the same effect overall. So many people have trouble with any grains, even the non-gluten ones.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sadly, skimmed or semi skimmed milk have more sugars than full fat milk. Sugar is added to it to replace the fat content. Full fat milk is the best choice unless you convert to cream.

@Bluetit1802
How much sugar is added to skimmed/semi skimmed milk?
What type of sugar is added?