Looking for food options to treat hypoglycemia

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
"Gluten free" doesn't equate to no gluten..Rather the semantics this meaning relates to is if the food contains 20 parts per million or less..

Additionally, there is also real possibility of cross contamination during the manufacturing process.

https://www.coeliac.org.uk/gluten-free-diet-and-lifestyle/food-shopping/law-on-gluten-free/

I have a niece who is a coeliac, she has adopted a gluten free/processed carbs free diet - best course of action IMO, as even 'crumbs' of gluten can lead to small intestine damage.

Yes I know, I have friends with it. Providing you buy the genuine gluten free stuff there is no issue. I don't understand what you are trying to say tbh. It isn't like it used to be, the genuine articles are found all over the place now.

Reactions: 2 people

Neemo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I know, I have friends with it. Providing you buy the genuine gluten free stuff there is no issue. I don't understand what you are trying to say tbh. It isn't like it used to be, the genuine articles are found all over the place now.
not sure what ur gettin at, but my post was quite clear. Thanks! !

rachel162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In terms of being slightly healthier I'd say something like raisins, small juice cartons, milk to initially treat, but for long acting carbs to ensure you don't go low later I'd struggle to stay gluten free! Maybe bananas, yoghurt, some kind of carby salad with potatoes or squash or something if you'd want to do the prep?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
In terms of being slightly healthier I'd say something like raisins, small juice cartons, milk to initially treat, but for long acting carbs to ensure you don't go low later I'd struggle to stay gluten free! Maybe bananas, yoghurt, some kind of carby salad with potatoes or squash or something if you'd want to do the prep?
Some people have no choice but to be gluten free and there's plenty of grub available to suit all palates. :)

rachel162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Some people have no choice but to be gluten free and there's plenty of grub available to suit all palates. :)
Aha sorry yes I just realised how I made that sound, I know a lot of people actually have to be gf, I just meant a lot of my go-to choices wouldn't be applicable.

Reactions: 2 people

hollyslot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know if you have nakd bars where you live, but I use them, the banana variety is about 95 cals and 17g carb x

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Nakd bars are yum!! Lots of different varieties too.

D

Deleted Account

I'd suggest that you buy sugar cubes and find a little pot to put them in. Pure sugar, no issues. Your hypo is treated. Isn't that what you are after?

There isn't really a "healthy option" for treating a hypo. You should be eating something to raise your bg level quickly. Are you asking for something that you can consume after the glucose intake to stay any other hypo symptoms?
I was recently surprised to learn that table sugar is not an ideal hypo treatment. The idea for hypo treatment is to take something which is easy for the body to breakdown into glucose. Table sugar is not glucose: it is a fluctrose and sucrose so the body has too break the bonds between the molecules.
The advice is usually dextrose type tablet or a very sugary drink such as lucozade (but not the sports version). Personally, I stick with dextrose because it is small to carry, easy to control the dose and I never have a problem where I am not allowed to take it with me (some entertainment venues, for example, do not allow bottles).

D

Deleted Account

Nakd bars are yum!! Lots of different varieties too.
I agree Nakd bars are great. However, they contain nuts which contain fat which slows down the absorption of the sugar into your body. The recommendation I have been given is a fast-acting sugar such as dextrose tablets to treat the immediate hypo and a slower acting sugar such as Nakd bars (or chocolate) to maintain your higher BG.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I was recently surprised to learn that table sugar is not an ideal hypo treatment. The idea for hypo treatment is to take something which is easy for the body to breakdown into glucose. Table sugar is not glucose: it is a fluctrose and sucrose so the body has too break the bonds between the molecules.
The advice is usually dextrose type tablet or a very sugary drink such as lucozade (but not the sports version). Personally, I stick with dextrose because it is small to carry, easy to control the dose and I never have a problem where I am not allowed to take it with me (some entertainment venues, for example, do not allow bottles).
Yes, however there is a risk of gluten contamination in dextrose tablets, which is what the OP was trying to avoid!

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Yes, however there is a risk of gluten contamination in dextrose tablets, which is what the OP was trying to avoid!
OP will be fine with Gloco tabs as states on them gluten free :)

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dates. Super healthy and higher glycemic index than glucose. I carry them in a little sandwich bag. It doesn't matter if they get squashed, and they are completely silent to eat.

iHs

@RuthW

When at home, I too now eat a giant date when the G4 indicates a low bg level. The Turkish dates are very big and lovely to eat (pricey though)