1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Looking for food options to treat hypoglycemia

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Ido_Wolf, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Ali H

Ali H Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yes I know, I have friends with it. Providing you buy the genuine gluten free stuff there is no issue. I don't understand what you are trying to say tbh. It isn't like it used to be, the genuine articles are found all over the place now.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Neemo

Neemo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

not sure what ur gettin at, but my post was quite clear. Thanks! !

3. rachel162

rachel162 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

In terms of being slightly healthier I'd say something like raisins, small juice cartons, milk to initially treat, but for long acting carbs to ensure you don't go low later I'd struggle to stay gluten free! Maybe bananas, yoghurt, some kind of carby salad with potatoes or squash or something if you'd want to do the prep?

4. CarbsRok

CarbsRok Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Some people have no choice but to be gluten free and there's plenty of grub available to suit all palates. :)

5. rachel162

rachel162 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Aha sorry yes I just realised how I made that sound, I know a lot of people actually have to be gf, I just meant a lot of my go-to choices wouldn't be applicable.

• Like Like x 2
  6. hollyslot

hollyslot Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I don't know if you have nakd bars where you live, but I use them, the banana variety is about 95 cals and 17g carb x

7. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

Nakd bars are yum!! Lots of different varieties too.

8. Deleted Account

Deleted Account · Guest

I was recently surprised to learn that table sugar is not an ideal hypo treatment. The idea for hypo treatment is to take something which is easy for the body to breakdown into glucose. Table sugar is not glucose: it is a fluctrose and sucrose so the body has too break the bonds between the molecules.
    The advice is usually dextrose type tablet or a very sugary drink such as lucozade (but not the sports version). Personally, I stick with dextrose because it is small to carry, easy to control the dose and I never have a problem where I am not allowed to take it with me (some entertainment venues, for example, do not allow bottles).

9. Deleted Account

Deleted Account · Guest

I agree Nakd bars are great. However, they contain nuts which contain fat which slows down the absorption of the sugar into your body. The recommendation I have been given is a fast-acting sugar such as dextrose tablets to treat the immediate hypo and a slower acting sugar such as Nakd bars (or chocolate) to maintain your higher BG.

10. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Yes, however there is a risk of gluten contamination in dextrose tablets, which is what the OP was trying to avoid!

11. CarbsRok

CarbsRok Type 1 · Well-Known Member

OP will be fine with Gloco tabs as states on them gluten free :)

12. RuthW

RuthW Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Dates. Super healthy and higher glycemic index than glucose. I carry them in a little sandwich bag. It doesn't matter if they get squashed, and they are completely silent to eat.

13. iHs

iHs · Well-Known Member

@RuthW

When at home, I too now eat a giant date when the G4 indicates a low bg level. The Turkish dates are very big and lovely to eat (pricey though)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook