background retinopathy

keishamarie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have my yearly eye tests each year and after 2 years of have Diabetes I was told that i had background Retinopathy and that this couldn't go and would basically be there forever, then after another year they told me it had gone and that my eyes were fine?

Has anyone else had this or know about this..

Reactions: 2 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I have my yearly eye tests each year and after 2 years of have Diabetes I was told that i had background Retinopathy and that this couldn't go and would basically be there forever, then after another year they told me it had gone and that my eyes were fine?

Depends on the severity @keishamarie , with mild retinopathy, it can often go once your blood sugars get back to a near normal level. I too am clear now according to the last results.

Bumley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pettiness and lazy minds

About a couple of months ago I went to a talk given by an Ophthalmic Surgeon who talked about Eye conditions relating to Diabetics. I asked him almost the same question as you did. He asked me if my HBA1c levels were high when the background retinopathy was seen and since then had they reduced? My reply was yes His answer was that when BS levels went back to normal the background retinopathy went away.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hiya I have background retinopathy, it's been picked up twice in the last 2 years, I was concerned but have learned that with good control is should disappear eventually.

It will come and go depending on your control, it's a good kick up the a** to keep it under control..!

Reactions: 4 people

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese

In 2014 when I had my test the Opthalmologist said she could see background retinopathy, the results are then double checked and when my letter came there was no mention of it. This year my letter stated I have Background Retnopathy so I guess it can come and go depending on BS levels at the time of test

Last edited by a moderator:

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It's as much about levels as it is about steadiness. If you avoid the roller coaster it tends to be better.