1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

background retinopathy

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by keishamarie, Sep 30, 2015.

1. keishamarie

keishamarie Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I have my yearly eye tests each year and after 2 years of have Diabetes I was told that i had background Retinopathy and that this couldn't go and would basically be there forever, then after another year they told me it had gone and that my eyes were fine?

Has anyone else had this or know about this..

• Like Like x 2
  2. urbanracer

urbanracer Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Depends on the severity @keishamarie , with mild retinopathy, it can often go once your blood sugars get back to a near normal level. I too am clear now according to the last results.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Bumley

Bumley Type 2 · Member

About a couple of months ago I went to a talk given by an Ophthalmic Surgeon who talked about Eye conditions relating to Diabetics. I asked him almost the same question as you did. He asked me if my HBA1c levels were high when the background retinopathy was seen and since then had they reduced? My reply was yes His answer was that when BS levels went back to normal the background retinopathy went away.

4. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Hiya I have background retinopathy, it's been picked up twice in the last 2 years, I was concerned but have learned that with good control is should disappear eventually.

It will come and go depending on your control, it's a good kick up the a** to keep it under control..!

• Like Like x 4
  5. poohtiggy

poohtiggy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

In 2014 when I had my test the Opthalmologist said she could see background retinopathy, the results are then double checked and when my letter came there was no mention of it. This year my letter stated I have Background Retnopathy so I guess it can come and go depending on BS levels at the time of test

• Like Like x 2
    #5 poohtiggy, Sep 30, 2015 at 7:37 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2015
  6. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

It's as much about levels as it is about steadiness. If you avoid the roller coaster it tends to be better.

• Like Like x 2
  7. keishamarie

keishamarie Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thankyou guys, this has helped alot! i appreciate it

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook