Who wants to live forever?

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
If you do want to live forever and you're taking statins then you are out of luck I'm afraid.

The average extension to your life is between 3 days for primary (no previous heart attack) and 4 days for secondary prevention (previous heart attack) with statins. That's a whopping 72 to 96 hour reprieve versus placebo.

http://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/5/9/e007118.long

So, we know at least (at the very least)18-20% of people will have side effects (some of which are very serious), we know that statins will only reduce your absolute risk of CVD by about 1% (which going from 4% to 3% is a 33% relative risk reduction - the figure you will be given), and now we know they won't get you to the end of next week in real terms before you shuffle from this mortal coil if your numbers are up.

What is the point of statins again? They lead to exceptional shareholder value that's for sure, but frankly that seems about it.

Best

Dillinger

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 13 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I want to live until my time is naturally up and watching my teen grow into a beautiful young woman. I am not on statins.

RRB

Reactions: 6 people

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Neither my husband nor I take statins - he has been offered, but has refused. So what, our lives will be three or four days shorter. Three or four days in which we don't (with 100% certainty) have to pay taxes to fund all these pointless and avoidable drugs.
Sally

Reactions: 5 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And at least part of those 3 or 4 days would be used up by extra visits to the GP re statins and finding the 'right' one and collecting repeat prescriptions for them etc.

Reactions: 9 people

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
My husband was offered statins and blood pressure pills he said no thank you . He is doing a lot of research at the moment and is certain he aint taking meds

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Priceless - thank you.

I have my little rejection speach already rehearsed, for when I get the offer...

Reactions: 2 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Priceless - thank you.

I have my little rejection speach already rehearsed, for when I get the offer...
The rejection speech in my head contained the phrase, "...so what are you going to do...follow me around with a funnel?"

The reality is that after a few polite declines, nursey stopped asking. She now just ticks her "doesn't want statins" box :)

Reactions: 4 people