1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Who wants to live forever?

Discussion in 'Non-Diabetic Medication' started by Dillinger, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Dillinger

Dillinger Type 1 · Well-Known Member

If you do want to live forever and you're taking statins then you are out of luck I'm afraid.

The average extension to your life is between 3 days for primary (no previous heart attack) and 4 days for secondary prevention (previous heart attack) with statins. That's a whopping 72 to 96 hour reprieve versus placebo.

http://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/5/9/e007118.long

So, we know at least (at the very least)18-20% of people will have side effects (some of which are very serious), we know that statins will only reduce your absolute risk of CVD by about 1% (which going from 4% to 3% is a 33% relative risk reduction - the figure you will be given), and now we know they won't get you to the end of next week in real terms before you shuffle from this mortal coil if your numbers are up.

What is the point of statins again? They lead to exceptional shareholder value that's for sure, but frankly that seems about it.

Best

Dillinger

• Like Like x 13
    #1 Dillinger, Oct 2, 2015 at 2:49 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2015
  2. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

I want to live until my time is naturally up and watching my teen grow into a beautiful young woman. I am not on statins.

RRB

• Like Like x 6
  3. sally and james

sally and james Family member · Well-Known Member

Neither my husband nor I take statins - he has been offered, but has refused. So what, our lives will be three or four days shorter. Three or four days in which we don't (with 100% certainty) have to pay taxes to fund all these pointless and avoidable drugs.
    Sally

• Like Like x 5
  4. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

And at least part of those 3 or 4 days would be used up by extra visits to the GP re statins and finding the 'right' one and collecting repeat prescriptions for them etc.

• Like Like x 9
  5. WackyJacky64

WackyJacky64 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My husband was offered statins and blood pressure pills he said no thank you . He is doing a lot of research at the moment and is certain he aint taking meds

6. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

Priceless - thank you.

I have my little rejection speach already rehearsed, for when I get the offer...

• Like Like x 2
  7. The rejection speech in my head contained the phrase, "...so what are you going to do...follow me around with a funnel?"

The reality is that after a few polite declines, nursey stopped asking. She now just ticks her "doesn't want statins" box :)

• Like Like x 4
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook