Choice of pumps

iHs

To iHs no licence back , but have done so much recording of meal contents , carb counting and BG pre and post meals to show the wide range of BS but very few lows , was a plus for a pump and hopeful the DSN hopeful being on a pump will make it easier to get my licence back . :)

fingers and toes crossed for you and hope that things will start to become much better and you get your licence back asap

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hospital staff do log on to this website.. I know mine did in Wales... I fortunately only had praise for them for helping me!!

That is the only reson I mention for not actually mentioning hospital names etc...

Reactions: 2 people

fozzie84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
is the handset really slow ?

I don't think it is. It takes a moment to do the calculation when you input carbs and any other info. But it doesn't take anymore time than changing needles on a pen. Sometimes it takes a little time to load all the data to look at past blood tests etc.. but I don't think it takes an unreasonable amount of time. If I had another pump to compare to I might think differently, but I don't really see any issues with the speed.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I don't think it is. It takes a moment to do the calculation when you input carbs and any other info. But it doesn't take anymore time than changing needles on a pen. Sometimes it takes a little time to load all the data to look at past blood tests etc.. but I don't think it takes an unreasonable amount of time. If I had another pump to compare to I might think differently, but I don't really see any issues with the speed.

Thankyou for the reply :)

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hospital staff do log on to this website.. I know mine did in Wales... I fortunately only had praise for them for helping me!!

That is the only reson I mention for not actually mentioning hospital names etc...
So saying OP had moved to ???a fantastic hospital in her opinion is not allowed. Seems rather sad to me as other in the area who want to pump or are moving house would love positive feedback. Staff members no they should not be mentioned as that obviously is not fair.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
So saying OP had moved to ???a fantastic hospital in her opinion is not allowed. Seems rather sad to me as other in the area who want to pump or are moving house would love positive feedback. Staff members no they should not be mentioned as that obviously is not fair.

I would love to say which hospital I go to because of the fantastic funding from the CCG in that area... But it would generate hell for that hospital....

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Patients have a right to change doctors, hospitals, etc these days. So they must be able to express an opinion about them and recommend them. As long as we don't say anything libellous we are free to talk, I think.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Yes... But look on it from a patient aspect too...

My hospitali n Wales dod a bulk purchase of 30 pumps 5 years ago ....... If I had mentioned their name everyone in those days wanting a puml would have asked for a referral to that hospital. I got mine within 2 weeks....all their patients who were in the pipeline would have been mad.... And new people would have been disappointed..

Weigh it up...

alohanicky2009

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fish , bad manners,
To clarify one reason I changed hospital was there is no pump friendly hospital in the county I live, 2nd I wasn't happy with some aspects of diabetic cares received at original hospital also Input gave me helpful and constructed advice and made me more pro-active ,

Hannibal

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
My daughter recently changed back from the Insight to the Combo - Roche were good about it and the diabetic team at our hospital were great. We'd had the Insight for three months and absolutely hated it - not only the speed of the handset and the frequent recharging but the new Link Assist Plus cannulas and the Link Assist applicator which caused her a lot more discomfort than the older Link Assist cannulas. I agree that the pre-filled cartridges were wonderful and bubble free but they were so small and needed frequent changing and to be honest, we're used to the priming process so going back wasn't too much of a hardship.

My daughter is 9 and has only been on a pump for four years so we only know the Combo and Insight and can't comment on others but as has already been stated, there are pros and cons for all of them and any of them (even the Insight) should prove to be better than injections.