Get Angela home (gofundme)

Crimsonsoul

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi my name is Jamie Noriega

My mum (Angela) has been type 2 diabetic for 20 + years.

While she was on a girls holiday in benidorm last week she fell in to a diabetic coma and is currently in hospital marina biaxa in villajoyosa Spain.
This came as a complete shock to all her family and friends, her partner and myself rushed out to be by her side as soon as was humanly possible.

When she took her travel insurance out she did declared her medical conditions, but the insurance company have said she chose not to cover these and are not liable.
The phone conversation she had with the advisor on the day she booked the insurance has been currupted.
We are trying to fight this with the ombustman but that will take time and that is something that we do not have at this moment.

In the mean time she is still in a coma and we are getting quotes of between 18,000 and 25,000 to fly her back to a ICU unit in the UK.
We have been in touch with our local media (the sheffield star and bbc radio sheffield) to help us.
But we still have a long way to go to final be able to bring her back to her friends, family and most importantly her 2 grandchildren (4yrs and 2yrs) who know there is something wrong but are not fully aware of the situation

This is the fundraising campaign for Get Angela Home : https://de.gofund.me/7d67q88k

also here is our local papers link that they ran on the front page for us yesterday. (14/10/15)
http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/famil...-ill-sheffield-gran-stranded-abroad-1-7513051

Thank you for your time to read our situation any help would be grateful.

Jamie Noriega

C

catherinecherub

I am bumping this post up to show that sometimes travel insurance, however good we think it is, may have pitfalls.

I do hope that you are able to bring Mum home soon @Crimsonsoul. This must be a dreadful time for the family and my thoughts are with you all.

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi my name is Jamie Noriega

My mum (Angela) has been type 2 diabetic for 20 + years.

While she was on a girls holiday in benidorm last week she fell in to a diabetic coma and is currently in hospital marina biaxa in villajoyosa Spain.
This came as a complete shock to all her family and friends, her partner and myself rushed out to be by her side as soon as was humanly possible.

When she took her travel insurance out she did declared her medical conditions, but the insurance company have said she chose not to cover these and are not liable.
The phone conversation she had with the advisor on the day she booked the insurance has been currupted.
We are trying to fight this with the ombustman but that will take time and that is something that we do not have at this moment.

In the mean time she is still in a coma and we are getting quotes of between 18,000 and 25,000 to fly her back to a ICU unit in the UK.
We have been in touch with our local media (the sheffield star and bbc radio sheffield) to help us.
But we still have a long way to go to final be able to bring her back to her friends, family and most importantly her 2 grandchildren (4yrs and 2yrs) who know there is something wrong but are not fully aware of the situation

This is the fundraising campaign for Get Angela Home : https://de.gofund.me/7d67q88k

also here is our local papers link that they ran on the front page for us yesterday. (14/10/15)
http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/famil...-ill-sheffield-gran-stranded-abroad-1-7513051

Thank you for your time to read our situation any help would be grateful.

Jamie Noriega

Jamie - I'm very sorry to hear of your family's plight and I wish you well for a decent outcome on all fronts. Now that you are in the hands of the Ombudsman, you are in a waiting game with that aspect, as you already say.

Just one point I would make for the benefit of anyone reading this would be to ensure that any person with existing medical conditions to be covered under medical or travel insurance checks each time a policy or insurance certificate is issued that the pre-existing conditions are noted, in writing. If the standard paperwork doesn't do this, then Companies should be happy enough to accommodate. This check should happen on renewal as well as at the outset.

I appreciate this doesn't help your Mum or your family, but those who read this could be wondering how they could ensure this couldn't happen to them.

The very sad, and sometimes expensive fact is that with insurance the devil is often in the detail, and it's better to fight a corner when the insured person is fit, than a the point of any claim.

I do hope things turn a more positive corner for you all.

Crimsonsoul

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Just a quick update the hospital are hoping to be able to remove her ventilator over this weekend to see if she can breath on her own.
She is still in a coma but her eyes have opened.

If anyone has contributed towards her go fund me page i really appreciate it and thank you.

Reactions: 4 people

Crimsonsoul

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I cannot thank the diabetes.co.uk community for everything you are doing to help get my mum home, my family and especially myself really appreciate all the help.

Today has been my sons 5th birthday and the first he has had one with out his nanna being around, what made me feel sad and at the same time so proud of him was when he offered the money he got out of his cards to help get his nanna home.

On another note even do she is still in a coma the hospital have been able to remove the ventilator and she is breathing for her self with the help of a tracheostomy.

stallard

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Insulin
I hope all goes well. It may be a horrible time for you all. Good luck keeping my finger's crossed for you all take care

Crimsonsoul

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Just an update my mum has now been moved to neurology she is still in a coma but everything elae is normal so just hoping she wakes up some time soon.
We have been contacted by a company called salop medical services who are a family run road ambulance service that have said they can transport her for no more than 12k which makes our fund raising target even closer to reach.

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Over half way there - we'll share it in the newsletter again in this week. Please keep us updated x

Crimsonsoul

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
thank you everyone that has follow the fund raising for my mum.
last week we employed salop medical ltd to go and collect my mum after taking the remainder of the money out via a loan as we wanted her back as soon as possible.
we have today had an update from salop medical, the most detailed one we have had in the 22 days since we had to leave her in spain.

After reading through her medical report they and the hospital now believe she may have suffered a severe stroke which in turn as caused her to suffer an hypo, but with her sugars being so low they have assumed that it was only a diabetic coma so never started looking at or treating anything else till she never came round once her sugars were stable.
They have also said that they is severe swelling to the brain and the notes state do not revive if she goes into a cardiac arrest.

So at the moment we are hoping and praying that from when they depart spain (8am in morning) they will be no complications, they will arrive safely back in the uk at 8am Thursday and hopefully in Sheffield by 12pm so that her family can be able to see her again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crimsonsoul

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Just and update and to close this thread,
My mum passed away surrounded buy her family on the 24th november.
There was nothing the hospitals in the uk could do and i would like to thank everyone that helped get her home so she could be surrounded by the people she loved.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Jamie, thank you for taking the time to update us, at what must be a terribly sad time for you. My thoughts are with you and your family xx

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So sorry for your loss, thoughts are with you and yours. Hope you find some peace this coming season. A loss of a loved one is never easy xxx

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm so very sorry to read that, Jamie.

Thinking of you and your family and sending all my sympathy. You couldn't have done more for your mum.

Azure
xx

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
May her memory be eternal.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Condolences to you and your family Jamie, such sad news.

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Just and update and to close this thread,
My mum passed away surrounded buy her family on the 24th november.
There was nothing the hospitals in the uk could do and i would like to thank everyone that helped get her home so she could be surrounded by the people she loved.

Really sad to hear that. Sending our best wishes, please let us know if there's anything we can do or help with.