Bolus for a three course meal

becky.ford93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hoping someone can help me. I have a Christmas meal with my team at uni coming up (not for a few weeks yet!) But as I'm sure many of us will go to an event like this in the coming weeks, I was wondering how you all recommend bolusing for a three course meal? I'm having mackerel pâté (figured this was the lowest carb option as a starter, since I don't need to eat all the bread), Turkey roast and cheesecake. Ideally I'm planning to bolus when my main arrives and just guess how large the pudding will be. What would you other type ones do?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Sounds reasonable. Then top up when you see the pudding size, if necessary.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
whenever I go out ( usually for an indian meal , with pappadums , then a starter course , then a main with sides including rice , naan , and veggies -- i never really do puddings ( personal choice )

I always take 3 separate injections , 1 with each course( i also split the main course injection ( high fat)so 4 injections technically ) -- it just means testing later into the night then normal but as usually up till well after midnight on a night out it is not really a problem

at pub type meals it is usually just 2 injections ( 1 with starter and 1 with main )

Reactions: 4 people

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would inject when my main arrived and I could take account of starter and main carbs, I would take an estimate on dessert but on the safe side to avoid a hypo - and then if it turns out to be huge an extra injection will be needed :-(

It's worth being nosey and seeing if there are any other tables that are on the mains and desserts at the beginning of your meal and counting up what is on their plate if you can do it discretely (go the long way round the room to the loo and back a different way)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I would normally Bolus at the start of the first carby course which might be the starter or main. Typically for a Christmas meal I would assume 100gm carbs which for me would 10/11 units.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'd bolus for each course separately (if it needed a bolus). That means I can assess the carbs better, and also allows for any delay between courses.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'm with @BeccyB here, I'd eat the starter and take account of the carb value when your doing the bolus calculation for your main, if you do have a dessert then just bolus for that too Beccy.

If your unsure of the carb content of your food then err on the side of caution and give a reduced bolus dose, you can always correct later in the day, better that way than going hypo and it spoiling your meal out. Have a great time.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'd probably not bolus for the starter unless I was going to eat the bread.(if I was low I might) I'd bolus for the main course when it arrived and again for the dessert.
I have vivid memories of not long after diagnosis that the insulin 'worked' before my main course was really absorbed (fat content probably) I waited so long for a dessert that I was shaking and pouring sweat My poor husband was desperately trying to find a waiter to get me something to eat. Now I only bolus for what I can see .

Reactions: 6 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I'd probably not bolus for the starter unless I was going to eat the bread.(if I was low I might) I'd bolus for the main course when it arrived and again for the dessert.
I have vivid memories of not long after diagnosis that the insulin 'worked' before my main course was really absorbed (fat content probably) I waited so long for a dessert that I was shaking and pouring sweat My poor husband was desperately trying to find a waiter to get me something to eat. Now I only bolus for what I can see .
great point @phoenix -- at home it is easy to bolus 20 minutes ahead because we control the ingredients -- in a restaurant this is not always true so waiting till the plate arrives means you can see the ingredients and know there will be no further delay in service

becky.ford93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for all the great advice everyone. There's a huge group of us going so now that I consider it I think it probably is best to inject before my main and dessert once I have them both - even if I end up feeling like a pin cushion! :p think I'd rather be a little high in a situation like that than too low, otherwise I'll just end up worrying.

Reactions: 2 people

marktype1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad blood sugars, not being able to eat chocolate fudge cake.
Personally I wouldnt bolus until after the whole meal. This is frowned upon by my doctor who advises doing it before meals but ive never had an issue with injecting after a meal and this can be backed up with blood readings. Im not a big fan of having a hypo in social situations so taking it after is my preference.