A day in the life of a T1D...

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Given it's Diabetes Awareness Month, and I've become a crazy blogger for the 30 days of November, I thought it would be a great idea to have one day in November where as many T1Ds as we can muster (and T2s if they want to) record their day, from getting up to going to bed. @Administrator, I think it would be something you could publish on the DCUK webpage. I'm going to post the same idea in the Diabetes UK forum. I'd like to see as many as possible joining in.

The idea is that we pick a date, say November 16th, and on that day, you record a diary of everything you do, highlighting every single time you think about/do something related to Diabetes. We then each post our day in this topic. I think it would be an eye opener for many!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 18 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
i'm up for it --for some reason am totally unable to scan in my normal handwritten diary page ( i am a blithering idiot with some technology but not others - LOL )
any online version i could just fill in and attach to my post on this topic ??

would love to do this !!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thanks @CarbsRok, that's not quite what I had in mind. It doesn't really give a view on what people really do (I had a flick through a few). What I was looking for was a Day in the life, i.e.:

4.50am - Got up, felt a bit wobbly, checked blood. 4.5 is okay. Must be going down with something.
5.05am - Time for a shower - took off the pump, set it aside and got in the shower
5.15am - After dressing, reattached the pump, attached to my waist band, had to reorient it to make sure the outlet was down - let's keep those pesky bubble near the plunger.
5.45am - ran for the bus, nearly missed it - panting a lot - scanned Libre and it said 3.2. Ate 3 glucose tablets.
6am - Sitting on train, tested glucose - 4.1. Glucose worked.

Sort of a diabetic thoughtstream showing just how frequently people think about or act on their diabetes, and other things!

Reactions: 12 people

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
e.g. 9.30am starving, test again still at 7. Can't eat breakfast until I'm 5.5 (been up since 6.30). Is my basal wrong or have my needs increased again with pregnancy.

Reactions: 6 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
e.g. 9.30am starving, test again still at 7. Can't eat breakfast until I'm 5.5 (been up since 6.30). Is my basal wrong or have my needs increased again with pregnancy.
Lol, yes! I guess what I am trying to do is properly capture the way that people think, and question themselves and whether things that happen are diabetes related. Just to show externally that as a HCP without it, you really don't have a clue, unless you have a chronic condition. Maybe each participant also states their A1c value as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
or

7:53 Stood shoulder to shoulder crammed on the train - feeling low but can't test - people will think what a weirdo.......

Reactions: 9 people

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
or

7:53 Stood shoulder to shoulder crammed on the train - feeling low but can't test - people will think what a weirdo.......

That's one of the extra bonuses of the Libre - much easier to do a quick test without getting a load of kit out, especially if you're trying to hold it all and balance on a moving train too!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Given it's Diabetes Awareness Month, and I've become a crazy blogger for the 30 days of November, I thought it would be a great idea to have one day in November where as many T1Ds as we can muster (and T2s if they want to) record their day, from getting up to going to bed. @Administrator, I think it would be something you could publish on the DCUK webpage. I'm going to post the same idea in the Diabetes UK forum. I'd like to see as many as possible joining in.

The idea is that we pick a date, say November 15th, and on that day, you record a diary of everything you do, highlighting every single time you think about/do something related to Diabetes. We then each post our day in this topic. I think it would be an eye opener for many!

That's a brilliant idea, the 15th is the day before my granddaughter's birthday:) ( if the 15th is used), but maybe a weekday, as more people are at work then, what about Wednesday the 19th,? it's just a little thought) o_O
As it's a Sunday, I am hoping for a very ordinary, calm day.:rolleyes:

RRB

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's a brilliant idea, the 15th is the day before my granddaughter's birthday:) ( if the 15th is used), but maybe a weekday, as more people are at work then, what about Wednesday the 19th,? it's just a little thought) o_O
As it's a Sunday, I am hoping for a very ordinary, calm day.:rolleyes:

RRB

We could do with a mix of work and social activities really so it's tricky to say what day would be best - the weekend would probably give more variety of activities but then would miss the fact that it is an issue even in a 'normal' 9-5 Monday to Friday office job. And the commuting too!

Reactions: 2 people

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
rub it in why don't you @BeccyB :rolleyes:
Thankfully I don't take the train, but just a thought that we should include what we sometimes don't do because of diabetes (not that it should stop us doing most things!)
I think it should be a 'normal' working day for most.

Reactions: 2 people

Emma158

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would love to get involved. Newly diagnosed and I don't think many people understand how much time is spent thinking and planning around things.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
OKay then, let's do Monday 16th - I want it to be in the middle of Diabetes Awareness Month so that any news from it falls in the right period.

Reactions: 6 people

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That works for me...just one other thought though...maybe Friday 13th...unlucky for some...but being a Friday could maybe combine work and social side of things...after work drinks and difficulties of dining out aspect...just a thought...don't want to confuse anything

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
what about a week in the life of a T1D...

We have at least 1 person doing one day in the week, so say I do Monday 16th, Tim does tuesday, Emma Wednesday, Beccy Thursday, Natalie Friday (you party animal!), Tigger Saturday and himtoo Sunday ?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
OKay then, let's do Monday 16th - I want it to be in the middle of Diabetes Awareness Month so that any news from it falls in the right period.

That's my granddaughters birthday :)