Sugar cravings

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi . It's now been 4 months since iv given up sugar and in the last week iv been having cravings . I even went to the sweets section at my supermarket . And started looking for some sweets with only a little sugar . And I know that there is no such thing . Iv tried sweets with artificial sweeteners and I don't like them . I'm assuming there are people that have given up sugar . My question is how long was it before the cravings stopped

Clive

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I don't think mine have totally gone away. I could kill for a cinamon danish or a box of chocolates, but they are off limits now.

Instead I settle for a square or two of dark chocolate (85% cocoa) or some sugar free jelly. They seem to fill the sugar void as I find it difficult to live in a 'savoury world'.

Reactions: 2 people

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I still get cravings for sugar but when I get them, I look at a bag of sugar and that usually puts me off

Reactions: 2 people

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't think mine have totally gone away. I could kill for a cinamon danish or a box of chocolates, but they are off limits now.

Instead I settle for a square or two of dark chocolate (85% cocoa) or some sugar free jelly. They seem to fill the sugar void as I find it difficult to live in a 'savoury world'.
Hi . How long have you been since you gave up
Clive

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I was diagnosed 13 months ago, so sugar/sweet things were out from then.

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi . It's now been 4 months since iv given up sugar and in the last week iv been having cravings . I even went to the sweets section at my supermarket . And started looking for some sweets with only a little sugar . And I know that there is no such thing . Iv tried sweets with artificial sweeteners and I don't like them . I'm assuming there are people that have given up sugar . My question is how long was it before the cravings stopped

Clive
If you like baking go to my blog. I posted bounty truffles there which are low carb and delicious.
www.daibeticgoodbaking.com

Reactions: 4 people

MrsHutt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
There are lots of sugar free sweets available! Aldi sell a good selection - the ones in little boxes, mints, hard caramels, fruit flavours - all sorts. Also you can get loads of different treats from such websites as Avidlite. Sugar free jelly also helps my cravings! I know some people don't think these are a good idea (and too many can have a bit of an effect on your tummy!!) But I think every now and again is OK!

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I gave up sugar in Feb '14 and every now and then I still crave something sweet. I always have sugar free baking in the freezer.

Bunjo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm a reasonably well controlled (diet and metformin) T2 and generally I don't get cravings - unless I have something particularly sweet or carbohydrate heavy, then the cravings strike about an hour or two later. Luckily 'something sweet' in small amounts, alongside other food like fats and protein doesn't seem to trigger the cravings.

It would be so easy for a small diet relaxation (a generous slice of white bread and butter) to become the trigger for another relaxation in answer to the cravings, and another relaxation, and so on.... the slippery slope is paved with minor relaxations.

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Clive
Sadly I don't think they ever go away, it's not like cigarettes where once you have got over the nicotine addiction it gets easier. Unfortunately I think chocolate will always trigger my mouth to start watering! If you don't have the will power to just have a little bit, then you will have to investigate and trial the low carb recipes - loads on here! :)

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sadly I don't think they ever go away, it's not like cigarettes where once you have got over the nicotine addiction it gets easier. Unfortunately I think chocolate will always trigger my mouth to start watering! If you don't have the will power to just have a little bit, then you will have to investigate and trial the low carb recipes - loads on here! :)
Hi . Thanks for the reply . Sadly it was not the news I hoped for but I did expect it. Went out Saturday for xmass meal on Saturday I had cheeses for a desert but there was an extra potion of xmas pudding on the table and it took a lot of will power not to eat it .
Again thanks for the reply and have a good Christmas

Reactions: 3 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you can avoid just taking a.bite you are doing extremely well as sometimes it is.just that.one bite that is your downfall.