Has Anyone Had a Good Experience of Metformin?

Tenzarin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's hard to say whether metformin or change in diet has had the bigger impact as I started them together - it's probably a combination of the two that's working.

I'd definitely be reluctant to stop taking it at this point.

Reactions: 4 people

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When initially diagnosed, I was offered Metformin and politely declined. Since then I have been diagnosed with a fatty liver (a huge relief given some of the things I thought might be wrong with me). When I spoke to the consultant following the second diagnosis he said I should consider Metformin as it could have positive benefits for the fatty liver and Diabetes. He also suggested it would help with weight loss. He emphasised I should only consider this as my diet (LCHF) and exercise were already moving things in the right direction. But I did come away from that meeting with the Consultant thinking, perhaps I will give it a try.

Problem is searching through the forum there was no shortage of members with a poor experience with this drug.......anyone with a positive experience? Has it significantly altered your numbers? Do you think it has helped you lose weight? Or has it just had you farting like a trooper and afraid to stray too far from the bathroom :)

Hi . I was diagnosed with type 2 3 months ago . My levels where very high at 27 . I was given metformin and gliclazide . Iv now come of the gliclazide . And I'm now talking metformin 2 x 500 mg one at lunch and one with evening meals . Iv had no side effects . So I can only say my experience has been good . My levels now are between 5 and 7 . My advice would be if you need them give them a go . It seams some people have no problems with them and until you take them you will not know if they are going to be OK for you

Clive

Mr tosh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I had the same dilemma recently but decided to give it a try, and I have to say that after my initial fears and a lot of good advice from the people on here it seems to be doing some good, especially with the morning phenomenon. Bloods are down from an average of 13 to a steady 8.0 an waking after just 3 weeks. I haven't had any noticeable side effects at all from 3x 500 sr metformin. All things considered I think it is worth giving it a try

Reactions: 2 people

Klangley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I had the same dilemma recently but decided to give it a try, and I have to say that after my initial fears and a lot of good advice from the people on here it seems to be doing some good, especially with the morning phenomenon. Bloods are down from an average of 13 to a steady 8.0 an waking after just 3 weeks. I haven't had any noticeable side effects at all from 3x 500 sr metformin. All things considered I think it is worth giving it a try

Thanks @Mr tosh I have pretty much decided I will ask to try Metformin in my next Doctors appointment (Thursday). Completed my second HbA1c test yesterday, results then. Certainly sounds as if it is making a significant improvement to your BS....long may it continue.

Klangley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK day one with Metformin. One tablet only with breakfast. Noticed a slight metallic taste in my mouth before lunch, but so far so good :)

flossymartin05

Hi...I have been taking glucophage for 6weeks now and have had very few problems.The nurse prescribed this as it is kinder on the stomach than ordinary metformin.She left it to me to increase it from 500mg a day to 2000mg which I am now taking .I increased it weekly....gradually whilst eating a low carb diet...I do feel a higher carb diet can make stomach problems worse with metformin.
I haven't lost weight but my DN reckons metformin is not always going to do this...but my bloods have come down a bit from the mid teens to 8/9 s.I am due back in 3 weeks for bloods...HbA1c etc.Hope this helps....do try it.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Klangley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi...I have been taking glucophage for 6weeks now and have had very few problems.The nurse prescribed this as it is kinder on the stomach than ordinary metformin.She left it to me to increase it from 500mg a day to 2000mg which I am now taking .I increased it weekly....gradually whilst eating a low carb diet...I do feel a higher carb diet can make stomach problems worse with metformin.
I haven't lost weight but my DN reckons metformin is not always going to do this...but my bloods have come down a bit from the mid teens to 8/9 s.I am due back in 3 weeks for bloods...HbA1c etc.Hope this helps....do try it.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Day 2 on Metformin. I am taking the advice, from this forum, of starting on one per day for the first 4 days. No noticeable effects overnight, perhaps some extra wind and a few grumbles from my stomach. Fingers crossed this continues.

I haven't read up on Glucophage but thanks for the tip. I will look at it if simple Metformin doesn't do the trick.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been taking Metformin SR for about 8 months. I have had no adverse effects, I started on 1 per day and am now on 4. No weight loss, no upset system and no real effect. I also take Gliclizide 4 per day, very slight effect on glucose levels, also on a new med called Empagliflozin 10mg 1 a day. Adding the latter has reduced my glucose levels to normal but I feel like a chemist shop! Over medicating is a constant worry. I try to keep to a strict diet but am a bit weak willed of an evening! Work in progress! I have never had a hypo no matter how much meds I take the only thing that has lowered my readings is not eating which is not such a good idea. The last med moves the glucose to your urinary system so now I am worried about infections and desperate thirst also been taking it for two days now and almost blacked out twice after standing up a bit quick! Frightening experience!

Klangley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Day 3 on Metformin. Still only one a day. Unfortunately today some of the negative symptoms turned up. Stomach cramping, diarrhoea and some nausea. Still tolerable.....just.

Mafat

Day 3 on Metformin. Still only one a day. Unfortunately today some of the negative symptoms turned up. Stomach cramping, diarrhoea and some nausea. Still tolerable.....just.

Hi

I used to take 500 MG Metformin twice a day.Once with breakfast & one with dinner.I noticed i that if you take Meformin with very low carb intake you will start having stomach cramping & Gas Etc. Hence I stopped Meformin & breakfast too & started with 18 hours of fastings.

Klangley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

I used to take 500 MG Metformin twice a day.Once with breakfast & one with dinner.I noticed i that if you take Meformin with very low carb intake you will start having stomach cramping & Gas Etc. Hence I stopped Meformin & breakfast too & started with 18 hours of fastings.

Interesting @Mafat I certainly qualify as having a very low carb diet. I had read that people have problems with Metformin when they step outside a LCHF diet overdo it on the carbs. But that's the first I heard of LCHF making it worse. I rarely feel like breakfast understood that Metformin should be taken with food, so I have been having my omelette every morning. From this forum I am expecting a couple of weeks of problems. But if it hasn't evened out by next Thursday I will be of it....I have a 21hr flight to Australia and don't fancy spending it on the toilet.....although on the plus side I guess there is lots of leg room.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Diagnosed 1 1/2 weeks ago and started on Metformin that evening, took one a day for the first week (evening meal) just started on 2 (morning and evening) have had a lot of looseness.. and last night really bad diarreah. Spoke to the nurse today about some blood tests and told her this. She's moving me onto the slow release so will let you know how this works.. looks like I'm in the 25% bad reaction group.

Klangley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Diagnosed 1 1/2 weeks ago and started on Metformin that evening, took one a day for the first week (evening meal) just started on 2 (morning and evening) have had a lot of looseness.. and last night really bad diarreah. Spoke to the nurse today about some blood tests and told her this. She's moving me onto the slow release so will let you know how this works.. looks like I'm in the 25% bad reaction group.

I actually mentioned the slow release but the Dr said I would be fine on the normal version (apparently its slightly cheaper). Today I was much better, although I got some cramps whilst on my daily walk.....thought for a minute it wouldn't just be bears that sh*t in the woods :)

Reactions: 6 people

Mad Mickey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When initially diagnosed, I was offered Metformin and politely declined. Since then I have been diagnosed with a fatty liver (a huge relief given some of the things I thought might be wrong with me). When I spoke to the consultant following the second diagnosis he said I should consider Metformin as it could have positive benefits for the fatty liver and Diabetes. He also suggested it would help with weight loss. He emphasised I should only consider this as my diet (LCHF) and exercise were already moving things in the right direction. But I did come away from that meeting with the Consultant thinking, perhaps I will give it a try.

Problem is searching through the forum there was no shortage of members with a poor experience with this drug.......anyone with a positive experience? Has it significantly altered your numbers? Do you think it has helped you lose weight? Or has it just had you farting like a trooper and afraid to stray too far from the bathroom :)
Apart from smelling like a polecat at times, I have no major issues as far as I know.

Wilki.356

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Klangley.
All I will say, we have all different diagnosis to everyone.
What works for someone, may not work for you until you try it. Then you can strike it off your list of "not working". Always keep an open mind.
It works for me, I will always try different and new idea's to control my levels better.
Good luck.

Nigelh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Im on 4 a day. I had a couple of moments at first when the world fell out of my backside, but that didnt last. I also had an uncomfy pain in my liver for ages which seemed to move about...so i started taking a little apple cyder vinegar a few times a day, (swigged from the bottle) and since then i feel great and no pain.. Plus its good for lowering blood sugars and cholesterol.

Klangley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Im on 4 a day. I had a couple of moments at first when the world fell out of my backside, but that didnt last. I also had an uncomfy pain in my liver for ages which seemed to move about...so i started taking a little apple cyder vinegar a few times a day, (swigged from the bottle) and since then i feel great and no pain.. Plus its good for lowering blood sugars and cholesterol.

I will try the Cider Vinegar, thanks mate

Nigelh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Have some water to hand to wash it down as it can be quite harsh at first. You only need a couple of tablespoons at a time.. google it, youll be surprised.