Burnout?

lprosch

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there

Been googling in desperation and found you again.

Well... burnout sounds a bit dramatic I guess, its more like despondent. Almost two years in and it feels like a can't be bothered anymore, with only the rest of my life to go. This too shall pass right? The feeling, not the diabetes ;-).

It seems a very hard to keep up with good diabetes management practices feeling like this and I hoped that people could share their experiences in this regard?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi there @lprosch
welcome to the forum :)

burnout is pretty much the exact word and is not dramatic at all
here is a link to the very subject on the forum http://www.diabetes.co.uk/emotions/diabetes-burnout.html

there are lots of us here that have had similar feelings as you sound like you are going through right now.

keep posting , nobody will judge you for feeling this way , and a big hug [[[[[hug]]]]] from me

all the best.

Reactions: 2 people

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yep had a "Burnout" earlier this year, had had a very bad 6 months(depression anxiety and job loss) :banghead: and just could not be bothered, my bloods were okish, (high single figures) so I just thought "sod it" , ate what I liked drank like a fish etc etc , and just felt worse and worse and did not even test for about 6 weeks.....

Then I did test and was high double figures (22 the highest :() and started noticing numbness in my toes , so went back to my normal diet which was okish but my bloods would not drop.....

So had a bit of a moment and and decided that no half measures would do , so went strict LCHF and started taking my weight training seriously again (hate cardio but weight training works well to lower my bloods)......(.I do walk but nothing structured just walk when I can instead of using the car )

2 months later , I am 2 stone down , and my bloods are very good (compared) at an average of around 6.0.........

But I feel normal for the first time in a long while, not out of the woods but getting there.:)

So yes it will pass :) , not an expert or anything but LCHF works for me and lifting weights works for me.....

One thing that I take from my years of lifting is the 80/20 rule, ie. you are not going to be perfect ,,, be it diet , exercise or diabetes, but if you get these things right 80% of the time and slip or cheat 20%, you are doing good :)

I also find myfitnesspal invaluable in keeping my foods on track http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/mfactor123

Hope it gets better for you

ATB Jase

Reactions: 5 people

martsnow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there

Well... burnout sounds a bit dramatic I guess, its more like despondent. Almost two years in and it feels like a can't be bothered anymore, with only the rest of my life to go. This too shall pass right? The feeling, not the diabetes ;-).

It seems a very hard to keep up with good diabetes management practices feeling like this and I hoped that people could share their experiences in this regard?

I am sorry that you are feeling the effects of burnout, but I can empathize with the way you are feeling. My whole life has changed and I was only diagnosed type 2 six weeks ago. My whole world feels like its been turned upside down.

On the whole it feels like I have been imprissioned and my free will has been taken away from me..............

Every day seems like an uphill treck. Every day a battle. I think we take eating as almost an autonemose reaction giving it no real thought.

Now we have to think:-
What shall I eat
When will I eat it
What amount shall I eat
What combinations shall I eat
What effect will what I eat have on my weight
Then the Bigeeee:- When I do eat what effect will it have on my BG

What we thought was once almost an automatic process has to be broken down into baby steps

Take each fay as a whole new day, you cant change tomorrow, but you can have a big influence on it

Good Luck

Mart

george895

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there

Hi there Iprosch,
This might be of help to you it's Eight Tips For managing Diabetes Stress/Burnout, it's never been published here in the UK but it might help. I have type 2 diabetes. http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.c...th/eight-tips-for-managing-diabetes-distress/

lprosch

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You wonderful people!

Thank you for the replies, have to say it a relief just to have a chat about it. What a mess this is ;-).

I am a big fan of exercise and used to do 1 hour cardio a day. Now I don't feel like bothering. But good point; I am gonna just not think about it and hit the gym again.

I find it hard to talk about this with my family and friends as it seems to make them worry too much.

I struggled so much this year with work travel to remote sites in Malawi, Tanzania etc. with the constant worry about getting the insulin through the borders. It is completely legit but sometimes the officials get the facts wrong. Constantly looking for a fridge in 40 degree temps. Trying to find meals which was not carb served with a side of carb. Sorry, now I am just complaining ;-).

I sooooo appreciate this chat right now!

Asante Sana!! (Thank you very much)!!!!

Reactions: 4 people

martsnow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there Iprosch,
This might be of help to you it's Eight Tips For managing Diabetes Stress/Burnout, it's never been published here in the UK but it might help. I have type 2 diabetes. http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.c...th/eight-tips-for-managing-diabetes-distress/

I think this is brilliant....................Thanks
I wish I had known this when I was diagnosed, (its only been six weeks) then I would not have felt abnormal with the way I am feelings
Regards

lprosch

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Mart

You hit the nail on the head; everything became so complicated so quickly ;-). Hopefully, soon, it will just be the new normal.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I have felt like this so many times, its just another thing on top of many other things to worry about and I never used to be one to worry !

I've learn't to try and be more gentle on myself and those around me, to be calmer and more considerate of others, so to stop thinking so much about myself but to do things for others, add a little sunshine into their lives where possible. It's a day by day thing for me, I try not to think about the future now. As long as I can keep below 10 most days i'm happy, when I was first diagnosed about 4 years ago I was made to feel that I had to conform to 5-8mmol/l, for me that's impossible so when i learned to accept that what I do is the best I can do each day and if I get below this level then i'm ok with that. It took the pressure off me slightly and i've had great support from a lovely nurse who backs me fully.

I've also learn't that from a female perspective that managing type 1 is alot harder as we have hormones that are constantly changing which can affect our insulin resistance during the month, so it's never a level playing field to manage, however if we can adapt our insulin requirements and be more mindful we can be prepared for it.

Speak out too - that helps ;)

Reactions: 3 people

lprosch

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You make such good points Juicyj.

(One day at a time) + (space) x (give a little) = Everything will be OK.

Don't interrogate my maths here ;-), but sure its correct.

lprosch

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is it me or....... ?

Just got told off for having a hard time by one of my friends, saying... "diabetes burnout..... collect yourself, not everything is a disease". For crying out load... I never said it was, its a feeling. Anyway..... ;-)

Bye good people, chat soon ;-).

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Is it me or....... ?

Just got told off for having a hard time by one of my friends, saying... "diabetes burnout..... collect yourself, not everything is a disease". For crying out load... I never said it was, its a feeling. Anyway..... ;-)

Bye good people, chat soon ;-).

Sorry but that to me sounds a little harsh, your friend would have no concept of what living with type 1 is like, it could of been their way of trying to make light of your situation but still regardless it's an unfair comment. Personally when friends throw comments like that at me I tend to steer away from them, rather than put them straight, I have some friends who completely get it and they are the people I am drawn to.

Stay positive, there are plenty on here who understand how you feel and remember these feelings are temporary, they will pass ;)

Reactions: 4 people

lprosch

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for all the comments and the understanding. It makes such a difference. After a weekend of reflection and thought, inspired by this little community, it is beginning to look like the light at the end of the tunnel, may not be a freight train ;-). If it still is... well... today I am enjoying this unsweetened soya milk, cinnamon infused, cappuccino to start a new week ;-).

Have a lovely day!

Asante Sana!!