Low carb

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Hi. I started mine nearly a month ago, but only really got to grips with it recently. Most important of all is testing before and 2 hours after meals to see what may no be working. It is vital to record food eaten, times, readings...to be able to draw worthwhile conclusions. May sound simple but even how to record is a consideration as food and readings don't always coincide. I keep a notebook with my meter and record food on the left, times in the middle and readings on the right...keeps it easy. Anyway, I found cutting out bread altogether was the sure way to avoid big spikes. I also avoid cereals, potatoes and try to limit myself to food with a carb content of 10g in every 100. Good stuff - avacados (very good fruit that won't raise the levels and help with oils), asparagus with meals actually seems to lower it!. You're fine with fish that isn't battered, most meat (inc sausages if they are 90% meat) and some cold meats, and eggs. Omelettes and boiled eggs are good but don't overdo it coz they can a bind you up a wee bit. Avoid milk as much as I can. low carb veggies are important as you need some of their good stuff in you (broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, leafy salad - all stuff that grows above ground...avoiding the stuff closest to hell (where sugar demons tempt us with jelly babies for ever). For breakfast or snacks I have slices of smoked cheese and strips of dried bacon. I have ice lollies if my levels are good...and often if they are not. Other snacks - pepperamis seem ok in small amounts, nuts, sugar free sweets and the occasional wafer biscuit. Happy eating..good luck.

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The one thing great about low carbing......... Breakfast/Brunch

A Fry Up :) , Bacon , high meat sausages (tesco pork and leek 3 gram carbs), mushrooms (as many as you wish) , a slice of Lidl protein roll and some eggs all cooked in good oil and less than 8 grams of carbs........

And a mug of filter coffee with double cream and stevia mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Heaven :D

Sadly no baked beans or black pudding, :(

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all I am starting my low carb tomorrow any help would be great
Have a look at the info ithe lowcarb diet forum on here. Particularly useful is the post by @sanguine, which has all the info you will need.
Best of luck, and keep posting with progress updates.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, well done, keep us up to date with what you eat and how your blood sugar levels react. You'll need a meter if you haven't got one already :)

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm drooling at the thought of a fry up now..

Being able to eat some really good free range eggs, fried in any of these (lard, dripping, butter, ghee, coconut oil, olive oil, palm oil) with some really good sausages and a pile of mushrooms is utter pleasure. Some people are OK with baked beans and fried bread or toast, others aren't.

Last edited by a moderator:

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Have a look at the info ithe lowcarb diet forum on here. Particularly useful is the post by @sanguine, which has all the info you will need.
Best of luck, and keep posting with progress updates.

Thanks Pipp :)

Hi @Sherries , have a look at some of the links below.