Prescription test strips

Linagirl

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Do any of you get your strips on script!?

I had a chat with my GP who at first thought I had type 2 diabetes but decided not to put me on metformin due to my assertion that I was actually RH.

He told me that I was not entitled to get my strips on
Script but I don't understand as surely RH is just as dangerous as diabetes if the hypos are bad enough?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a specific list of conditions and diseases that qualify for free scripts.
Diabetics only get them if they are on meds for diabetes, not if they control it by diet and exercise, so even if someone has T2 they won't automatically get free prescriptions.

And if the disease /condition isnt on the list, then no free scripts...

Edited to add: sorry @Linagirl , must be brain dead this evening - thought you were talking about free prescriptions, not getting test strips on prescription - ignore my comment! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

martsnow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do any of you get your strips on script!?

I had a chat with my GP who at first thought I had type 2 diabetes but decided not to put me on metformin due to my assertion that I was actually RH.

He told me that I was not entitled to get my strips on
Script but I don't understand as surely RH is just as dangerous as diabetes if the hypos are bad enough?

I answered this question, a couple of weeks ago. I was diagnosed type 2, six weeks ago. I was given a test meter, by the GP (They are given them free by the 100s from the manufacturers) I was also given, a repeat prescription, for 100 test strips per Month. My Sister in law, goes to a different surgery, in the same town, and has had to buy, her own meter, and test strips. I think that it is, another, of these post code lotteries.

After reading this forum, I guess, I am in the minority, as a lot of people, have buy, their own, meters and test strips

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm only allowed 50 a month which isn't anywhere near enough but being as I'm not on meds I consider myself lucky to get any. Fortunately for me a lovely person I met through this forum has sent me some spares for which I am very grateful. xxx

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My endocrinologist had a conversation with my GP about such things as free prescriptions, test strips and being on the diabetic register, to get my foot and eye checks, the doctor at first reluctantly agreed.
Now my prescription clearly states, the reason, as testing is important.
Now my GP is fully on board and asks occasionally if I have enough.

I really don't believe there is hard and fast rules about prescriptions!

Last edited by a moderator:

Linagirl

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
I will keep pushing then as its so important whilst learning what foods your bossy can tolerate.

I have up gluten a few weeks ago and tonight we had Chinese. I decided I would have yuk sung with lettuce leaves and some dry ribs but the restaurant said they contained gluten. Ate them anyway (only two) and half the yuk sung which I didn't enjoy much.

My bloods were 6.7 after two hours so not bad. Interesting though my muscle spasms which had all but gone have come back with a vengeance! Definitely gluten intolerance for me.

Without the test strips I may have though I was having a hypo but I wasn't.

Reactions: 4 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I will keep pushing then as its so important whilst learning what foods your bossy can tolerate.

I have up gluten a few weeks ago and tonight we had Chinese. I decided I would have yuk sung with lettuce leaves and some dry ribs but the restaurant said they contained gluten. Ate them anyway (only two) and half the yuk sung which I didn't enjoy much.

My bloods were 6.7 after two hours so not bad. Interesting though my muscle spasms which had all but gone have come back with a vengeance! Definitely gluten intolerance for me.

Without the test strips I may have though I was having a hypo but I wasn't.

Your awareness will become better with good control, it did take me quite a while to get there.
This is one of the reasons we test and experiment, you would think that you would get higher blood glucose levels but they don't!

Know nowt about gluten intolerance, but I have read that RH ers can suffer with it and it does affect blood glucose levels.
You are definitely learning about the foods and it can be fun trying all the different foods until you hypo!!