BBC1 Thursday 21:00 Doctor in the House...

iHs

It's not the spices!!! Genetically they have a predisposition for diabetes. You must have met one of 'those' nurses who know nowt.

Sorry but the nurse was a doctor working at the dialysis unit and was Asian

Magsx1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just want to say, I love this forum, to be able to come on here and chat about stuff has really helped me, I was hitting despair when told I have diabetes, I was always slim when young up to the age of 40 then 5stone decided to "hit" me! I tried diets and couldn't get on with them and just resigned myself to being fat although I absolutely hated looking in the mirror, never went clothes shopping as I never looked right in anything sold in shops so just bought off a catalogue, ok, I'm not quite there yet another 2 stone at least to go maybe 3 will see what I feel like at the time, but it's only through coming on here that I now have hope and incentive, so thank you one and all

Reactions: 8 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It was a huge plate of nachos. And he labelled it 'a snack' ......

Lol. That what it was.. Thanks. I saw the base as some sort of full on carb. & thought "why are you dissing the cheese." :D

Reactions: 4 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I think that's a weird thing for the doc to say because things like ginger, turmeric, cinnamon, nutmeg, cayenne, fenugreek for example are good for us.

I can only assume that it's different for patients on dialysis, who have to watch phosphorus and potassium levels, for example.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Its still not the spices, in fact turmeric and chilli and a few other spices are said to help diabetes. It tells you really that even the medics know very little about diabetes. Less muscle more belly fat is more likely a cause as to why Asians get diabetes.
I remember a program a while back about low birth weight babies in India, and that they had a very high chance of developing diabetes in later life. And that's before they started on spices.

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know it's not a popular view point on these forums, but when someone e.g. Dr Chatterjee advocates ditching the processed carbs, that means eliminating them, not eating toast, rolls and cereals. You may be fine with them now, but that doesn't mean that you'll be fine with them later.

There are good reasons for advising people to ditch processed carbs, not just because they raise BG - they can be inflammatory too and some people may have hidden gluten intolerances.

I agree with you in regards the processed carbs but a problem with a lot of people including the doc on this show is that they go from one extreme to the other.............( I know it was tv so maybe that skewed it a bit)

People are then far more likely to stop following the advice altogether, you see this all the time with strict diets, and this was not only strict he added in a days fasting as well :wideyed:

The guy was on a awful diet from a diabetic point of view and putting him on a more sensible regime of just low carb would probably have got him great results just from dropping the rubbish stuff....and made it far easier to stick to :)

Then asses how he was doing on a moderately low carb healthy lifestyle and then make adjustments

Maybe they wanted the big woohoo at the end,, it was TV after all............:)

Jase

Reactions: 6 people

Magsx1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with you in regards the processed carbs but a problem with a lot of people including the doc on this show is that they go from one extreme to the other.............( I know it was tv so maybe that skewed it a bit)

People are then far more likely to stop following the advice altogether, you see this all the time with strict diets, and this was not only strict he added in a days fasting as well :wideyed:

The guy was on a awful diet from a diabetic point of view and putting him on a more sensible regime of just low carb would probably have got him great results just from dropping the rubbish stuff....and made it far easier to stick to :)

Then asses how he was doing on a moderately low carb healthy lifestyle and then make adjustments

Maybe they wanted the big woohoo at the end,, it was TV after all............:)

Jase
I agree, sometimes it seems like a mountain to climb, where if you do step by step you get there, to do it all in one go is hard and off putting .

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can definitely see that the production team would want to have dramatic, positive results to publicise. I think too, that if the family had done a lower carb diet, that it wouldn't make such an impact on the viewers who watched the show. It's quite a powerful message, to see them taking a stand for their health and chucking out the fizzy drinks and cereals. That's probably a motivator for many viewers.

If someone goes to www.dietdoctor.com/lchf and studies the photos on that page, the photos shown, are of real food. Meat, fish, butter, olive oil, eggs, milk, lettuce, avocado etc. Not processed food.

Not sodas, candy, sweeteners, sugar free jam, bread, rice, pasta, fish fingers, Quorn, 0% fat yogurt, sugar free jelly etc etc etc.
That's part of the whole process. Swapping the standard Western diet of heavily processed food, for real food.

If eating real food is daunting, it shows how divorced we are from the roots (literally) of the food that we eat.

There are probably people readng this post, who've never come across a cow in real life. Who haven't ever visited a farm, let alone a food manufacturing plant. That's not their fault, it just shows how industrialised our world is and how processed our food is.

It's all packaged with nice photos of farm animals, milk churns, green fields, Italian kitchens etc but that frozen Margherita pizza probably has ingredients from 60 countries and has never been anywhere near Italy. Fifty years ago, people in the UK didn't have freezers and microwaves at home and there wasn't a single McDonald's.

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can definitely see that the production team would want to have dramatic, positive results to publicise. I think too, that if the family had done a lower carb diet, that it wouldn't make such an impact on the viewers who watched the show. It's quite a powerful message, to see them taking a stand for their health and chucking out the fizzy drinks and cereals. That's probably a motivator for many viewers.

If someone goes to www.dietdoctor.com/lchf and studies the photos on that page, the photos shown, are of real food. Meat, fish, butter, olive oil, eggs, milk, lettuce, avocado etc. Not processed food.

Not sodas, candy, sweeteners, sugar free jam, bread, rice, pasta, fish fingers, Quorn, 0% fat yogurt, sugar free jelly etc etc etc.
That's part of the whole process. Swapping the standard Western diet of heavily processed food, for real food.

If eating real food is daunting, it shows how divorced we are from the roots (literally) of the food that we eat.

There are probably people readng this post, who've never come across a cow in real life. Who haven't ever visited a farm, let alone a food manufacturing plant. That's not their fault, it just shows how industrialised our world is and how processed our food is.

It's all packaged with nice photos of farm animals, milk churns, green fields, Italian kitchens etc but that frozen Margherita pizza probably has ingredients from 60 countries and has never been anywhere near Italy. Fifty years ago, people in the UK didn't have freezers and microwaves at home and there wasn't a single McDonald's.

Yep agree, , i watched a channel 4 program last year about different countries diets,,, The Worlds Best Diet http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-worlds-best-diet/articles/all/how-was-the-list-compiled I was expecting the usual (Mediterranean or japanese etc) diets to come out on top, but was surprised (and pleased) when Iceland :wideyed: yes iceland came out as top ................why ? Lack of processed food :)..........

No 5 portions of fruit/veg that some people struggle with, just lot of fresh food that had not been messed with.............

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 people

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A question tho, the doc banned ALL squash ...?

I drink a lot of water with a splash of no added sugar squash, and looking at the bottle thats about 0.2 g sugar per glass, ..so cant quite see why ? .........1-2 grams spread over the day ?

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I've stopped drinking squash. I used to drink the 'no added sugar' type, but just drink tap water now if I need a long cold drink.
I watched the program last night on BBC iplayer and thought it was good, I hope my GP watched it too! :)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
it shows how divorced we are from the roots (literally) of the food that we eat.

I've never met a cow I didn't like.. ;)

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To reiterate, Dr Chatterjee is trying to get the family switching away from processed food and drink.

You can look at a label and say it's only 0.2g of sugar, but look at the other stuff. There are bound to be sweeteners, maybe acidity regulators and preservatives.

Do we really know what many years of these chemicals do ? No. Are they tested as safe, long-term ? No. Are they tested together ? No.

The only preservatives in my food, are from sausages and bacon, if I eat them. There's no added sugar, no sweeteners, no thickeners, acidity regulators, emulsifiers, stabilisers. No trans fats or weirdo esters of this that and the other.

It is possible to eat conventional food, that doesn't contain so many chemicals and doesn't cost more. You just have to read the labels more carefully.

People on this forum say that organic is more expensive and some of it is, but not all. Organic own brand butter, for example, is cheaper than brands like Anchor (btw stuff on sale in UK is no longer made in NZ).

If you buy Taste The Difference, Extra Special, Finest etc ie the premium own brands, these can be more expensive than organic. And since the supermarkets can and often do allow additives in these and the feeding of GM feed, it becomes unclear, why these premium products are more expensive - or indeed, premium.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do we really know what many years of these chemicals do ? No. Are they tested as safe, long-term ? No. Are they tested together ? No.

Puts me in mind of the 1989? Batman film where the Joker's fiendish plot was to put dangerous chemicals in cosmetic & cleansing products..? Individually they were harmless. But used together (lipstick & perfume for instance.) made the victim's face contort affecting the facial nervous system to look like the Jack Nicholson portrayed comic strip bad guy...
It's a long time since I've seen that movie.
Yep, a total work of fiction with the Batman plot. But people can get bad reactions from certain chemical mixes...

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have done 24hr fasts every day for the last 14 days.
I have lost 13 lbs. My one meal is an LCHF dinner at around 6pm.
My pre-meal readings are between 3.8-4.2. The best 2hr postprandial reading was 4.
Fantastic short term impact. I don't think that it's for everyone..
Hope very much to keep going.

Reactions: 6 people

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't think that it's for everyone..
Maybe after christmas .....
Seriously though - sounds like you've achieved some good results here. Don't think I'd have the willpower for this :(

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe after christmas .....
Seriously though - sounds like you've achieved some good results here. Don't think I'd have the willpower for this :(

to be honest..in two weeks, i got really hungry maybe around 5 times BUT never even close to the point of being "ravenous".
the hunger would pass quite quickly.
after the first 3-4 days of getting into the habit, it was relatively easy provided i had a good, fulfilling LCHF meal and not skimp on the fat & kept myself distracted.
the longer it went, the lower my sugars got, the better my appetite control was.
my ketones were between 3-4 & there was a clear correlation with weight loss.
certainly worth a try after x-mas. good luck.