BBC1 Thursday 21:00 Doctor in the House...

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
I honestly find this fascinating, not to mention inspiring! Ordinary drinks during the day, tea, coffee as well as water?

Reactions: 4 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sure. I think most variants of low carb allow tea and coffee as well as water. Some allow milk, others don't.

I don't recommend organic instant coffee as being any better than conventional instant coffee. Really not worth the money.

Myself, my husband and my mother all agree that organic tea bags can be better, depends on brand. Sainsbury's, Tesco, ASDA, Morrisons all do own brand. Clipper teas are organic, as are some of Twinings.

If you want info on your tap water, you should be able to call your water supplier and have them tell you whether it's fluoridated or not. All tap water in UK has to be chlorinated if supplied by a water company. The water company should be able to tell you whether the water they supply is hard or soft and how many mg of calcium per litre it contains. Some may be able to give more nutritional info e.g. sodium. potassium, bicarbonate etc.

Our water is chlorinated mineral water from a spring, for example, with 123mg per litre of calcium.

Last edited by a moderator:

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A tip I had a while back was instead of buying bottled water , just put a jug of tap water in the fridge (as I do) and after half hour it will taste much better, whether this is true or not I don't really know , but I like mine chilled and saves running the tap for a min or so (on water meter)...........:)

Don't want to go on (another :banghead:) organic verses not debate:) but as said above it can be cheaper compared to premium brands but is nearly always more expensive that the norm, I do prefer fresh/organic but for instance if you only have £20 for your weeks shop spending half of it on a organic chicken when you can get 3 for £10 in the next isle is just not an option for a lot of people.........no matter how much you value your health................

Reactions: 2 people

Magsx1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have done 24hr fasts every day for the last 14 days.
I have lost 13 lbs. My one meal is an LCHF dinner at around 6pm.
My pre-meal readings are between 3.8-4.2. The best 2hr postprandial reading was 4.
Fantastic short term impact. I don't think that it's for everyone..
Hope very much to keep going.
Well done on your weight loss, but I worry that the body will go into starvation mode and store anything as fat, would that happen on a fasting diet?

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have done 24hr fasts every day for the last 14 days.
I have lost 13 lbs. My one meal is an LCHF dinner at around 6pm.
My pre-meal readings are between 3.8-4.2. The best 2hr postprandial reading was 4.
Fantastic short term impact. I don't think that it's for everyone..
Hope very much to keep going.

I first read your post and thought "Bloody hell no food for 14 days" , :) but then saw you meant one meal every 24 hours, you dont say how many calories you are eating tho ...........

I.F. is very good , I have done it a lot in the past (way before it became the next big thing) but dont use it now as need to take meds with food (sometimes do a 16/8 tho)

You are basically doing a short term restrictive calorie diet by the looks, which will work for most people , as you say short term tho......I do prefer the steady eddie approach (LCHF) on its own........

Reactions: 6 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I have done fasts for six weeks over Lent before. It is difficult for the first 10-14 days, but then I sort of got used to it. By fasting I mean that I didn't eat anything before dark - usually around 7pm. I did drink water, tea and coffee, which is cheating a bit as the tea and coffee had a couple of spoons of sugar in them. But I usually lost around 7-8 lbs in six weeks which I would then regain over the summer.
I am losing more weight with the LCHF approach, around 1.5 lbs a week. Almost 2 stone in 14 weeks and still going down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 7 people

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have done fasts for six weeks over Lent before. It is difficult for the first 10-14 days, but then I sort of got used to it. By fasting I mean that I didn't eat anything before dark - usually around 7pm. I did drink water, tea and coffee, which is cheating a bit as the tea and coffee had a couple of spoons of sugar in them. But I usually lost around 7-8 lbs in six weeks which I would then regain over the summer.
I am losing more weight with the LCHF approach, around 1.5 lbs a week. Almost 2 stone in 14 weeks and still going down.
Well done, keep up the good work. My problem is that I am already underweight so have no fat to lose (or live off) and I don't want to be losing what little muscle I have got!

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I first read your post and thought "Bloody hell no food for 14 days" , :) but then saw you meant one meal every 24 hours, you dont say how many calories you are eating tho ...........

I.F. is very good , I have done it a lot in the past (way before it became the next big thing) but dont use it now as need to take meds with food (sometimes do a 16/8 tho)

You are basically doing a short term restrictive calorie diet by the looks, which will work for most people , as you say short term tho......I do prefer the steady eddie approach (LCHF) on its own........

Hi @mfactor,

Been doing LCHF for about15 months with tremendous results. Was already doing 16:8 for the most part.
Then, after much congratulatory back patting, ill discipline started to creep in and so i decided to try 24hr fasting.

Stopped counting calories a long,long time ago. But if you want me to hazard a guess, i'd say my LCHF meal is around 1,500 calories. Veggies (sauteed in coconut oil) + salmon/duck/lamb (with fat) + 3 eggs (fried in coconut oil) + 2-3 tablespoons of butter.

Black Coffee & Water keep me fine throughout the day.

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on your weight loss, but I worry that the body will go into starvation mode and store anything as fat, would that happen on a fasting diet?

i honestly don't know @Magsx1.
that was what i was always told BUT since i started LCHF more than a year ago i do not think it is that simple.
my ketones are at 2-4 throughout the day, so I am metabolising a lot of fat rather than storing it.

putting aside weight loss for a moment, for a T2 like me, getting my blood sugars under control was the priority & LCHF did that. the weight came off as a consequence. when i started to obsess about weight loss again, i found it distracting.

Going on to these 24hr fasts has given me fantastic blood sugar control and by focusing on that aspect, i suddenly find myself a stone down.

Fasting isn't for everyone. But if you want to try, start with pushing your meals closer together (and leaving wide spaces where you don't eat including sleeping hours), keep yourself well hydrated by drinking lots of water & my one meal of the day has a good amount of fish/lamb/duck/eggs & butter/coconut/olive oil so i am well fed.

good luck.

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I honestly find this fascinating, not to mention inspiring! Ordinary drinks during the day, tea, coffee as well as water?
black coffee is my drug of choice :) use to limit myself to a mug a day. now with IF, i take two. besides being an appetite suppressant, it is also a pleasurable experience for my reward center ;) two birds, one stone...

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done, keep up the good work. My problem is that I am already underweight so have no fat to lose (or live off) and I don't want to be losing what little muscle I have got!
fat has been a close friend since i was a child...:)

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Intermittent fasting seems to be a good way to go, I think I could do that without too much trouble whereas going very low calorie as per the ND for several weeks may be too harsh for me. I had just started the ND when I fractured my wrist very badly (5 breaks) so had to stop as I needed to concentrate on getting better rather than dieting. I was also worried that if I had a giddy spell and stumbled I might fall on my broken wrist and due to low bone density it can't be pinned and plated so that would have been it!

Great to hear of those who have been doing intermittent fasting, any others doing it and having good/bad results?

L_J

Type of diabetes
Type 2
That bit wasn't explained clearly. Maybe they thought they would confuse people if they went into more detail, but they sort of glossed things over.

At the beginning and end of the programme the husband was given HbA1c tests.
These can be measured in 2 different units. He was given scores of 9 (before) and 7 (after). Most of us, and most docs, use a different set of units for the HbA1c. In those units, his 9% = 75 mmol/mol and his 7% = 53 mmol/mol . Remember this is after he had come off 2 diabetes medications. This test gives an average reading over the last 2-3 months. So it is worth remembering that he scored 7 after only a month. He would score lower if he stuck to the diet for longer.

The finger prick test he did on himself was the usual blood glucose finger prick, and he got a result of 5.9 mol/l at that time.

This pic should explain.
Thank you for this graphic, it's just about the most helpful thing I've come across! I've copied it (ok, my fifteen year old did!) for constant reference.

Magsx1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i honestly don't know @Magsx1.
that was what i was always told BUT since i started LCHF more than a year ago i do not think it is that simple.
my ketones are at 2-4 throughout the day, so I am metabolising a lot of fat rather than storing it.

putting aside weight loss for a moment, for a T2 like me, getting my blood sugars under control was the priority & LCHF did that. the weight came off as a consequence. when i started to obsess about weight loss again, i found it distracting.

Going on to these 24hr fasts has given me fantastic blood sugar control and by focusing on that aspect, i suddenly find myself a stone down.

Fasting isn't for everyone. But if you want to try, start with pushing your meals closer together (and leaving wide spaces where you don't eat including sleeping hours), keep yourself well hydrated by drinking lots of water & my one meal of the day has a good amount of fish/lamb/duck/eggs & butter/coconut/olive oil so i am well fed.
good luck.
D

Thank you for your answer, I will try your method once I have got my head around it all