Can you eat bread on a low carb diet?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have said before that i don't understand why people think they NEED bread. And i still don't. I've spent most of my life avoiding wheat, and recently that avoidance has spread to all grains - because i have a wheat/grain intolerance, which means that they make my bg spike silly high.

However, all the recent forum discussions on lidl high protein rolls piqued my curiosity, and i tried them. And was both surprised and delighted that they don't spike me! :D Must be the combo of soya flour and wheat protein, plus slow release fibre that doesn't cause the spike reaction.

I am delighted, and currently revelling in the unexpected joys of St Agur cheese on toast. Bacon rolls. Marmite on toast. Mr B is loving smoked salmon on cream cheese in his packed lunches, which is a wee bit decadent. ;)

For someone to say that i am not really low carbing because i have added 11g carbs in a high protein roll a couple of times a week, seems just a little absurd.

Reactions: 16 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My only carbs in a day is a piece of Bergen bread. Average between 9 & 13 gsm per slice.
Plus whatever gsm of carb are in the veg I eat (not very).
I am in ketosis, I very low carb!

What I don't get, is the necessity of increasing your carbs to satisfy or satiate your own temptations!
Just to eat more carbs than is necessary is illogical, once you have been diagnosed.

Reactions: 4 people

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just to eat more carbs than is necessary is illogical, once you have been diagnosed.

Yes, couldn't agree more.

My plan, once I started this journey was to remove all unnecessary carbs from my diet, so bread, spuds, pasta & rice went immediately.

When I eat one of those Lidl things it's not in place of, or because I crave bread. If it was either case I would eat bread, not something that bears so little resemblance.

This forum is and has been a great place for discussion and exchange of ideas on the subject of Low Carb and it would be a shame if certain subjects and foodstuffs became censored.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My only carbs in a day is a piece of Bergen bread. Average between 9 & 13 gsm per slice.
Plus whatever gsm of carb are in the veg I eat (not very).
I am in ketosis, I very low carb!

What I don't get, is the necessity of increasing your carbs to satisfy or satiate your own temptations!

Nosher, with respect, having read some of your food diaries, you do eat some other carbs, but I'm sure you are still low carb and in ketosis. For example, although modest amount, there are carbs in your yoghurt and berries, apples, and salad all contain carbs.

I know I'm being a pedant, but that's what I am. And I can be quite expert at it........................ :)

I'll grab my coat on the way out. ;)

Reactions: 6 people

superwoman1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am delighted, and currently revelling in the unexpected joys of St Agur cheese on toast. Bacon rolls. Marmite on toast. Mr B is loving smoked salmon on cream cheese in his packed lunches, which is a wee bit decadent. ;)

You've hit the nail on the head. It's not about bread itself it's what you put on it. I like a little bread with my butter! Can't quite bring myself to eat butter of the spoon!

Reactions: 4 people

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nosher, with respect, having read some of your food diaries, you do eat some other carbs, but I'm sure you are still low carb and in ketosis. For example, although modest amount, there are carbs in your yoghurt and berries, apples, and salad all contain carbs.

I know I'm being a pedant, but that's what I am. And I can be quite expert at it........................ :)

I'll grab my coat on the way out. ;)
Not only that but what is "Necessary" for one person may be completely unreasonable for another.

Personally, I hate the term "Low Carb" not because of what it represents, but because most people define the term based solely on what it means for their own body. "Low carb" is not a diet itself. It is a group of diets that may or may not involve ketogenesis, and it may or may not limit someone from eating bread.

With that in mind, if this subsection were titled "keto diets" I would absolutely agree that bread should be absent from anyone's diet trying to enter and remain in ketosis.....but that's not what it's called.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally I don't know what all the fuss is about regarding forums and sub forums. I am a regular and have been for nearly 2 years, yet I have hardly ever looked in separate forums. I just look at the recent posts and scroll through them, picking out any that look interesting. The only time I look in separate forums is if I want to start a thread in one of them.
Exactly what I do

Reactions: 2 people

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You've hit the nail on the head. It's not about bread itself it's what you put on it. I like a little bread with my butter! Can't quite bring myself to eat butter of the spoon!
Have you tried spreading butter on a slice of cheese? ;) Bread is not interesting to me any more.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not only that but what is "Necessary" for one person may be completely unreasonable for another.

Personally, I hate the term "Low Carb" not because of what it represents, but because most people define the term based solely on what it means for their own body. "Low carb" is not a diet itself. It is a group of diets that may or may not involve ketogenesis, and it may or may not limit someone from eating bread.

With that in mind, if this subsection were titled "keto diets" I would absolutely agree that bread should be absent from anyone's diet trying to enter and remain in ketosis.....but that's not what it's called.

Personally? I dislike all labels, as they can be unhelpful as each person makes their own subjective assessment based on a word or a few words.

I only talk about low carb on here. I'm my real world, if someone asks what or how I eat, I describe it as "Reduced Carb, Enough Fat", which I find can lead to discussion, rather than the shutters going up, based only on the words, "High Fat".

All of that said, a place like this does need some labels, in order to group like posts and topics together, and forum parlance tends to speak in terms of Low Carb, so it makes sense to use that in headlines.

Whilst waaaaaay up there ^^^^^ I stated I can eat bread on a low carb diet, I can, but I don't often bother as it frankly just doesn't hold a massive draw for me any more. If I am "in company" or breakfasting with friends, say, and the breakfast offering is a bacon sandwich or the like, I am content it isn't going to do anything catastrophic to me or my blood scores, but I have a fair understanding of my body and what I can and "can't" eat these days.

Having got myself into a good place, I can actually eat most things. I just choose, with some of the "biggies" not to or to limit their consumption to once in a while.

We each set our own risk parameters, and what we are willing to accept, and that's how it should be.

Reactions: 7 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been cautious about contributing this here, as it could appear flippant, but it has been puzzling me.
As I am currently on a low calorie diet, using the logic of the OP, does that mean I ought to be having food with no calories?

Reactions: 15 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been cautious about contributing this here, as it could appear flippant, but it has been puzzling me.
As I am currently on a low calorie diet, using the logic of the OP, does that mean I ought to be having food with no calories?

This isn't flippant at all. Using that logic you would need to have no high fat, high carb or high protein foods at all because all three contain a lot of calories. Lettuce and water would be good though. ;)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nope. Around 15 calories in 100 grammes of lettuce.

Reactions: 5 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is it organic lettuce? If not, you may be going to hell in a handbasket. I think these are the new rules :nailbiting:
Think I will stick with water, then.

Edit by Pipp to remove content that could cause belittling.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

catherinecherub

If this thread is going to be a continuation of sarcastic and ironic comments then it will be locked.

Reactions: 2 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My intention was to demonstrate that low carb does not mean 'no carb', just as low calorie does not mean 'no calorie'.
Edited by Pipp to remove ambigous content that could be deemed to belittle OP

Last edited by a moderator:
C

catherinecherub

Whatever you feel about the thread @Pipp, it is against forum rules to try and belittle another member.