Does a low car diet reduce fasting BG ?

bronte

Hi,
Low carb certainly reduces your FBG as well as your BG levels. What are your levels like at the moment and what do you eat so perhaps we can help your more?
best wishes
Helen

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Certainly does. I was running at an overnight fasting level of 6.8, & that dropped to 5.5 when I cut the carbs.

Spiral

That depends. I can hit over 7 on an empty stomach :? :cry:

A combination of the dawn phenomenon and liver dumps, I think. Check out the recent threads on these topics in the search facility. I can be in the mid 5s on waking, but hit over 7 within the hour before breakfast :shock: :shock:

What makes a difference (on some days at least :? ) is timing of meals and having a little snack before I go to bed. I don't always feel like eating when I get up these days - in my carby days I was constantly hungry and always ready to eat.

I have breakfast at 9 when I get to work, but at weekends I often don't eat until well after 10am.

NickW

A small amount of non-carb food as soon as you get up may help slightly curb the morning rise, as it helps the body's hormone cycles switch over. I know what it's like not wanting to eat first thing, but even a small bite might make a difference - worth a try perhaps?

wallycorker

It is my opinion that the fasting level is affected by the general level of control - i.e. the tighter the control throughout the day leads to a reduction in fasting level. Of course the fasting level will vary from day to day - that is to be expected. These days, mine varies between 4.1 and 6.8 with an average of around 5.3 mmol/l - it is only very rarely above 6 and when it is I can quite often figure a possible reason from what I ate the day or evening before.

Doczoc

wallycorker said:
It is my opinion that the fasting level is affected by the general level of control - i.e. the tighter the control throughout the day leads to a reduction in fasting level. Of course the fasting level will vary from day to day - that is to be expected. These days, mine varies between 4.1 and 6.8 with an average of around 5.3 mmol/l - it is only very rarely above 6 and when it is I can quite often figure a possible reason from what I ate the day or evening before.

My experience is similar really, I'm lucky I don't seem to be plagued by dawn phenomenon or liver dumps. I'm disappointed these days with a waking BG that isn't low 4s or high 3s. As for overall control, I'm down from a Hb1AC of 10.9 to 5.3 in just 6 months, with no meds, so a low carb diet certainly works for me.

wallycorker

Doczoc said:
My experience is similar really, I'm lucky I don't seem to be plagued by dawn phenomenon or liver dumps. I'm disappointed these days with a waking BG that isn't low 4s or high 3s. As for overall control, I'm down from a Hb1AC of 10.9 to 5.3 in just 6 months, with no meds, so a low carb diet certainly works for me.
Those are great numbers Doczoc even lower than my 'on rising' fasting levels and I'm still on metformin for the time being at least. Your HbA1c dropped faster than mine too but same level now both a superb 5.3% - I'm going for my next one tomorrow interested to see what that will be. 4% Club maybe - but I don't think that it will be that low.

How did you effect your improvement? Have you posted your story? Mine's here if you haven't seen it before:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=10512

People keep saying that we are all different. However, I'm coming to the conclusion that most of us Type 2s are very similar indeed.

Personally, I wasn't consciously following a low-carb diet during the course of my improvement. I was eating a very low-fat, wholefood diet but also calorie counting to lose weight. It was only later that realised that it was the fact that I'd cut out a lot of the carbohydrate because of the calorie counting and that had been a big factor on improving my diabetic control. I only found my way to these forums after I had made most of my improvement. That's when the penny dropped as to what had been happening!

Stick at it!

Best wishes - John