Libre sensor somewhere else than the arm?

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Has anyone tried applying libre sensor on a tummy or a thigh? I don't want to waste the sensor and I wonder if the readings would be ok if I put it somewhere else

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone tried applying libre sensor on a tummy or a thigh? I don't want to waste the sensor and I wonder if the readings would be ok if I put it somewhere else

I haven't ewelina. I have stuck to my arms (pardon the deliberate pun), as I have had some sensors giving wonky numbers, and they asked where the sensor is located last time that happened. I have read of others using tops of thighs, and I think tummies too.

My post was more to keep yours near the top of the recent postings page than offer up any earth-shattering wisdom. I'll be interested to hear other responses though. :)

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I tried it once on my hip. I had terrible readings and it fell off after five days.

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've worn them on my upper thigh continuously for the last 7+ months (swap between left and right leg each time). No issues and they have been very accurate.

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've worn them on my upper thigh continuously for the last 7+ months (swap between left and right leg each time). No issues and they have been very accurate.
Great! I think I will give it a go. I don't like the look of it and I'm planning to wear sleeveless dress for New Years Eve

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Great! I think I will give it a go. I don't like the look of it and I'm planning to wear sleeveless dress for New Years Eve
Yeah, I started wearing it there because I didn't want it to be visible when I went on holiday earlier in the year.

Ended up liking it there so much that I've never gone back to the arm! It's discreet and convenient to scan.

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Hi Ewelina
I always wear mine on my thigh, accuracy much better for me there

Bluemarine Josephine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Ewelina!
I hope you enjoyed the most wonderful Christmas!

I am using Libre since it was released, January last year.
When I place the sensor on my left arm, which is my Cinderella arm, my readings are almost identical to my Bayer’s blood readings (I sometimes have 1 mmol or difference). When I place the sensor on my right arm, my Libre is between 3-4 mmols off (usually lower than the reading from taking blood). I would suggest that it might have been a faulty sensor but, this happens 9 out of 10 times when I use my right arm.

I used my upper left thigh for my previous sensor and it worked very well, the readings were as consistent as when I use my left arm (either identical to my Bayer readings or about 1 mmol off, which is not a big deal really) so for me it worked quite well. I intend to use this site again to verify the consistency or the readings. I also like the fact that it is very discrete.

The only thing is, if you like to sleep on the side, you might feel the sensor annoying you or, sometimes, due to the weight pressure (I guess?), the reading from the sensor may be lower than your actual level. I find that happening also when I place the sensor on my arm and I put some weight over my arm when I sleep…

Regards
Josephine

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello Ewelina!
I hope you enjoyed the most wonderful Christmas!

I am using Libre since it was released, January last year.
When I place the sensor on my left arm, which is my Cinderella arm, my readings are almost identical to my Bayer’s blood readings (I sometimes have 1 mmol or difference). When I place the sensor on my right arm, my Libre is between 3-4 mmols off (usually lower than the reading from taking blood). I would suggest that it might have been a faulty sensor but, this happens 9 out of 10 times when I use my right arm.

I used my upper left thigh for my previous sensor and it worked very well, the readings were as consistent as when I use my left arm (either identical to my Bayer readings or about 1 mmol off, which is not a big deal really) so for me it worked quite well. I intend to use this site again to verify the consistency or the readings. I also like the fact that it is very discrete.

The only thing is, if you like to sleep on the side, you might feel the sensor annoying you or, sometimes, due to the weight pressure (I guess?), the reading from the sensor may be lower than your actual level. I find that happening also when I place the sensor on my arm and I put some weight over my arm when I sleep…

Regards
Josephine
Thank you Josrpnhine. Hope you had a good one too :)
I will definately try it on my thigh now and thanks for the warning regarding what side I sleep on!hope todays lunch will work out better for you

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi just recently stuck one on my thigh while I was on my hols.

A couple of things I noted:
1) On insertion it bled a good amount, this is unusual for me as I never had this on my arm.
2) It seemed to take a couple of days for the swelling to drop down and the readings to become accurate.
3) There was little or no change to the skin reaction I have now and I still have a mark on my though a week and a half after removal.
4) I really could not have anything in my pocket near the sensor as it kept catching. I eventually resorted to sticking a tegaderm patch over the top to prevent it being pushed around or catching when I dressed.

As Josephine said depending on how you sleep it may be troublesome, it was for me, but after a few days I got used to it.

I went for thigh more to see if my reaction was the same so next sensor will be on top of a tegaderm patch and see how that goes.

/A

asyarlk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had a few on my stomach and haven't had a problem. Will try my thigh next though, is this around the pocket area?

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had a few on my stomach and haven't had a problem. Will try my thigh next though, is this around the pocket area?
That's more or less where I stuck it, after shaving the hair.
One things I forgot to mention is it did itch a bit because of the hair and I did end up with some crescent shaped bruises around the edges of the sensor since I was probably sleeping on it that way.

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, pocket area for me too. I also shave the hair, but I fire over a Compeed anyway as otherwise I get a rash. One thing I do recommend is to try and find the "fattiest" area you can in the pocket area (which usually tends to be a bit further inwards). I've never experienced bleeding or issues when sleeping.

Eglinton71

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had my first bad reaction and from postings it seems Compeed might be one solution. Which Compeed product do people suggest I try?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, pocket area for me too. I also shave the hair, but I fire over a Compeed anyway as otherwise I get a rash. One thing I do recommend is to try and find the "fattiest" area you can in the pocket area (which usually tends to be a bit further inwards). I've never experienced bleeding or issues when sleeping.

I haven't tried other application sites, yet, but I am interested, as I am about to spend some considerable time in the heat, and neither fancy explaining the button on my arm, nor the curious "crop circles" in my tan!

Pinewood, may I ask if you go for "the "fattiest" area you can" for comfort, or accurancy? I am a skinny old bird, and I seem to have had a greater proportion of sensors "go off-piste" than many others, and I wondered if it was me, rather than bad luck.

For the avoidance of doubt, I am absolutely not suggesting anyone else is less than super healthy weight and and Adonis/Aphrodite of the physical world; I just have a very, very low body fat percentage.

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had my first bad reaction and from postings it seems Compeed might be one solution. Which Compeed product do people suggest I try?
Compeed Blister Plaster Medium.

Pinewood, may I ask if you go for "the "fattiest" area you can" for comfort, or accurancy?
Both... I find the sensor is less likely to fail to start up and provides more accurate readings when applied to the fattier area of the thigh.

Karen_H

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi
Whereabouts on your thigh are you putting the sensors? I have one on my outer thigh at the moment, which after the first day of horrible results seems to have been as accurate as on my arm, but I do tend to lay on my side, and therefore on the sensor.....has anyone tried it on their front or inner thigh?
Thanks for any help

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
Whereabouts on your thigh are you putting the sensors? I have one on my outer thigh at the moment, which after the first day of horrible results seems to have been as accurate as on my arm, but I do tend to lay on my side, and therefore on the sensor.....has anyone tried it on their front or inner thigh?
Thanks for any help
I wear it kind of between front and the side so I dont lie on it when sleeping on the side