Choice of pumps

ausasha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Pump
Hi All.

I had recently been told that I will be put on a pump, I got my appointment for next week tonight. I have 3 choices, they are:

Medtronic 640g

Roche insight

Animas Vibe

After looking at some reviews I was thinking the Animas Vibe.

I would like to know what people are using and which pumps they are using and would recommend.

On a side note, I have been reacting to insulin and been getting lumps, sharp pain to the head and dizziness to the point where I had to leave my job as a
reception teacher. In a couple of weeks I will be tested to see which insulin I'm allergic to. I do worry that maybe these pains and dizziness might stay but I have been told that in most cases the body adjusts.

Any help would be great!

Thanks. :)

Nursery64

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Roche insight - best thing ever - I will not ever go back to injections - love it so simple - no complaints at all

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I have the vibe no problems with it.
It doesn't matter what pump you choose as you have nothing to compare it with so it will be great. The insight has rather a lot of teething problems so do look carefully if choosing that and you only have one choice of insulin to use (Novo) as they make cartridges to go in the pump. Other pumps are self fill with insulin of choice.

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had the same choice. I went for the Insight first of all but hated it.

I then got the Vibe and love it. It's easy and intuitive :)

I've been pumping 12 years.

ausasha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Pump
What abut Medtronic? Anyone happier with that?? Or should I still stick with the vibe??

ausasha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Pump
In terms of insulin, I'm not sure what they will put me on as I have been reacting to Humalog, Novarapid/Lantus and Novamix. I am being tested in a couple of weeks as to which one my body can tolerate.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Medtronic Veo 754 I use and have had no issues for 3 years.......

because I am big grown man and need more insulin than your average man or woman I had no choice but to get the 754 as this comes with a larger reservoir.....

just from a quick google there I have to say the 640g definitely ticks the boxes for the gadget lover in me.....

is it right you only keep pumps for 4 years then you get a new one.....?

;)

Last edited by a moderator:

iHs

I think the best way to find out about pumps is to try and meet other pumpers and see the pumps in real life and how the different menu screens work

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
In terms of insulin, I'm not sure what they will put me on as I have been reacting to Humalog, Novarapid/Lantus and Novamix. I am being tested in a couple of weeks as to which one my body can tolerate.
Have you tried pork of bovine insulin?

Reactions: 2 people

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
I have the 640g and think it's a great pump,but it's my first pump so I would have. Said that about any pump as I had no comparison.I have not had any problems at all.

Reactions: 4 people

QuirkyBit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've just been put on the pump a week ago and have the Insight. The meter has a few quirks but it was between the Insight and the Omnipod and I couldn't get on with the size of the Omnipod when demoing it. People often say the Insight meter is slow, which it can be but I don't find it to be a problem in daily use. The pump itself is great and has already made my BG more predictable. I was having problems with insulin absorption after 27 years injecting.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
Ive been on the Insight since 7th December and like you say QuirkyBit the handset is not fast like a mobile but it does what is needed and I have not had a problem yet with the pump or handset (touch wood)

ausasha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks all. I think I've made up my mind to go with the Animas Vibe. This time next week I will be on the pump!!! :)

Reactions: 7 people