How many times do you check blood sugar

satishaksh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi how many do you guys check kids blood sugar . Right now we check 4 times a day and I worried about checking to many times , it's lot of pain hurting that little fingers . We don't use thumbs and that means 8 fingers are pricked continuously and this makes me more worried than injections . She is taking two injections right now. Hard to deal with 2 year old , will this ever go away.

We check first thing morning, after breakfast , after lunch and before going to bed. She isn't carb counting and that's why we check after food because we are not sure whether she will eat everything and she likes to snack in between a lot. Help

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I check something like 7 to 10 times a day. First thing, after breakfast, before lunch after lunch, etc. I also test in between meals sometimes if I'm going to go for a walk or something similar.

I think her fingers will gradually get used to it. Use the sides of the fingers rather than the 'pad', use a finger pricker on the lowest setting you can that will still slow you to get enough blood. Also, maybe wash her little hands in warm water before as it can help getting the blood to flow easily.

Could you have a favourite cuddly toy and pretend that the toy has blood tests too? Or maybe a reward chart with stickers for being brave?

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi I'm type 1 and my daughter is t1 too age2-posted a couple of times to you before.
I actually only test hers before breakfast before lunch, maybe mid afternoon, before tea and before supper/bed. Then I may check later or during the night depending on what she is or if she is restless.
If she seems out of character or isn't well I've tested more frequently. Like you I don't want to test too much.
My dd has now gone on a pump and I don't bolus until I know she is going to eat her carbs as she is a difficult eater.
Why are you not carb counting out of interest?
I try to keep my daughter in a pattern of roughly the same carbs at the same time so I can understand her rate requirements.

Reactions: 2 people

satishaksh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Sarah thanks for replying me, it's very helpful. We haven't started carb counting because doctor in India said we don't have to just now and I am guessing she is in honeymoon period and we are only giving set amount of carbs . her numbers are steady, hba1c at the time diagnose is 10 and doctor said we are aiming to bring it down to 8 to start with. Good that your daughter is on pump and I would like that for my daughter. But will see what happens when she returns back to Aberdeen. What you think of cgms? Will it help the multiple pricking.

malhotrn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You could try freestyle libre as they are now available for children, although it is not a cgm... just bought one for my son and it is great! The website is:
www.freestylelibre.co.uk
You can also get a lot of information about it on this forum under the section -Blood Glucose Monitoring

mkzp123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We use the Accu Check Mobile
We find it simple and has a built in cartridge with 6 lancets which saves time getting it set up etc

https://www.accu-chek.co.uk/gb/products/metersystems/index.html?product=mobile

As Azure stated you will probably test around 5-8 times a day
Just remember to keep rotating fingers & to prick on the sides of the fingers

This forum is really helpful and you will get great advice from all parents

I think it will be best for you to spk to your doctor prior to your daughter coming back to the uk so they can refer you to the diabetes team at your local hospital who will assist you further

Hope your daughter is fine - its probably too much to take in at first as it was for all parents but all kids with type 1 diabetes are little soldiers who will carry on as normal once they get into a routine.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi There
I just wanted to pick up on what a couple of other people have mentioned --- routine !!

all children( not just diabetic) like routine , it helps them as they develop and they know their boundaries.

this is the strongest tool( not medical of course) in looking after your child.

i was not as young as your child when I was diagnosed but as an example I ate the exact same breakfast , and lunch every day for years - so the routine helped to keep my bloods more on an even basis.

i genuinely wish you and your family all the best

Reactions: 4 people

satishaksh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone thanks for your replies. @malhotrn can we use freestyle libre for 2 yr old kid. What pricking device is best for small children?