How nice is cauliflower rice...

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We cook cauliflower rice at home by hand grating a cauliflower then frying it with lots of butter and appropriate seasoning. It uses loads of butter but it's worth it; a great carb substitute.

This is another great cauliflower cheese recipe, although I'm sure as everyone reads Country Life here you will all have seen it...:)eek:) - it doesn't look anything like the photos though.

Essentially, you break up a cauliflower sprinkle with oil salt and pepper and bake then add to creme fraiche and cheese and bake until melted. It makes a whole meal if you add cooked leeks and bacon.

http://www.countrylife.co.uk/life-i...recipes-ever-roasted-cauliflower-cheese-13551

Best

Dillinger

The Spiced Cauliflower Salad also looks appealing:
http://www.countrylife.co.uk/food-drink/spiced-cauliflower-salad-83750

Reactions: 2 people

Rudyard

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Never thought of cauli rice. Discovered spiced roasted cauliflower - a teaspoon of coriander & fennel seeds, crushed and springled in a roasting tin with beef dripping... It roasts out lovely, spicy and crunchy - a great texture against a simple chicken korma. I've also started pan frying diced butternut squash as an extra filler

Reactions: 3 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And your next mission (should you choose to accept it ;) ) is mashed cauli instead of mashed potato.

There are not enough yums in the world for this stuff.

Don't know how low cal you still are, but you can do all the things to it that you could with mashed potato, from cheese, cream, butter, to garlic, chives and spring onions. Just tailor it to your tastes and dietary requirements...

Reactions: 4 people

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We also make a cauliflower/brocolli cheese and add plenty of garlic cloves into the mix, its really nice and doesn't take too long to make :)
Yep, one of my favourites - in fact, I think my hubby is making one tonight - yummmm!

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I love home-made versions, but tried a ready made pouch this week which was nasty!
It doesn't taste too good if you microwave it in the pouch. It's a lot better if you fry it for 3-4 minutes to dry it out. I fry it with a bit of coconut oil, garlic, chilli powder and dessicated coconut.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Asda do a prepared "Savoury" Cauli rice. Slightly higher in carbs as it's got other veg in it (Sweetcorn, peas, carrots, onions and peppers I think) and spiced, I love it as I missed the old Bachelors packet savoury rice, just need to work our what the spices are so I can make my own. ;)

Reactions: 3 people

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
for rice -- put it in a food processor raw to "rice it " -- then stir fry or steam for 1 to 2 minutes and then stir fry

if subbing for potato steam first then mash like potato
Hi himtoo, Thank you will make some. Saw a pizza made with a cauliflower base this morning on TV looked good too.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Asda do a prepared "Savoury" Cauli rice. Slightly higher in carbs as it's got other veg in it (Sweetcorn, peas, carrots, onions and peppers I think) and spiced, I love it as I missed the old Bachelors packet savoury rice, just need to work our what the spices are so I can make my own. ;)
Aren't there any clues on the packaging?

If I'm doing cauliflower rice, I just vary the herbs and spices to align with the main event. For example, Indian spices, to use with curry or tandoori, or Chinese style spices, if I'm doing anything stir fired. It is just so versatile, if sometimes messy to make.

My food processor, with the grater blades has really come into its own with some of these things.

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't rate the packet stuff, butTesco do "Cauliflower couscous "in their prepared veg aisle. It's just grated cauliflower, but saves the hassle of washing up the food processor.

I've just had two tanlespoons in a stir fry with chicken, courgettes and half a red pepper. Yum. It's also great with curry.