Worried about Type 2

JoeyK

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
Other
I have been feeling symptoms of Diabetes (peeing at night and walking up thirsty), I'm going to the Dr next week but I recently had a urine drug test for work and it came back normal. I've known 2 people who found out through a urine drug test there was sugar. If I had sugar would it show up?

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
To my knowledge (and that doesn't mean much!) sugar levels need to be pretty high to be detected in the urine, I'm surprised that sugar would be detected in a drugs test though. As for symptoms, what you describe, peeing a lot and thirst are the two symptoms that everybody equates with diabetes, they are common but many don't have these symptoms at all. The thirst connected with diabetes doesn't just make you thirsty when you wake up, and it's not just thirst as you have described either, it's drinking masses of fluid and still feeling desperately thirsty all the time, not just at specific times of the day. The definitive check for diabetes is a blood test, but the finger prick test (available from many pharmacies like Boots) can detect raised levels immediately.

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi I had a urine test and glucose did show up in the results but my BG readings were very high.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Sugar in the urine is said to start at around 11 mmol blood sugar. You could have slightly elevated blood sugar and this test would show nothing. If in doubt go to the local pharmacy or GP for a glucose meter randon test.

JoeyK

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
Other
I'm getting a blood test next week. I'm 41 and about 40 lbs overweight. I have a food addiction but I have exercised pretty regularly for the last 15 years. Currently I try to do a half hour almost everyone day on the elliptical. I haven't had a blood test except for my thyroid (take meds for hypothyroidism) in 5 years but I'm ready to face my fears and find out everything that is wrong with me and hopefully fix what I can. Is it possible that I could have been walking around with blood sugar levels at like 300 and not know it or would I be pretty tired? Aside from the usually tired from stress etc....I function good at work and am active with exercise. The only thing I notice is I pee a few times at night and I feel thirsty at night also. I am usually not thirsty during the day but I force my self to alway drink a lot of water. I feet are dry and sometimes at night they feel warm and I have some pain but then sometimes I don't have it at all. I'm worried I'm going to find out I'm in kidney failure or something.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Joey, I answered your other thread. With respect, nobody here can diagnose you, that is for your doctor to do. There is no reason to assume you would have kidney failure, and even if you get a test and you do have diabetes, provided you follow a good healthy lower carb diet, less potatoes, rice, pasta, bread and cereals, you can keep it under control. Try not to overthink this.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Hi @JoeyK

Don't sweat it too much. As @Galja said you seem in reasonable shape. You are doing the right thing by getting checked out so relax up until the test and then you can deal with any diagnosis you receive. If Diabetes is involved you have found a great site to help you with that.

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I guess it depends what the urine test was for. If it was a 'drug test' to see if you're cheating in the Tour de France or using illicit substances, then maybe sugar wasn't something that was tested. You're better off talking to your GP and maybe having a blood test as there could be other causes of the same symptoms.

I thought sugar started to show in urine when blood sugar is at around 10 mmol/l, or about double 'normal people' blood sugar levels.

Southbeds

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, now that you have found this site why not take a look at the lowcarb forum if you don,t have diabetes you can lose that 40 lbs, if you do you can get a head start and control your own health by lowering BG levels