Type 2 Getting down to an HbA1c of 7.5

whosbear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Some, but not many. Hate shopping at tesco!
I can never convert my HbA1c but in the last 7 months I went from 8.7 to 8.4 which to me was the good way. However my diabetes nurse seems I should be down to 7.5 or below.

I'm type 2 and have been since 2010. I'm on Metformin 500mg 1 - a - day, Metformin 850mg 2 - a - day. Gliclazide 80mg 3 - a - day. Simvastatin 40mg 1 - a - day and Sitagliptin 100mg 1 - a day. Plus Ramipril for High Blood Pressure.
With all this lot I can't move my HbA1c down low enough and will possibly be put onto insulin or something that is an injection but not insulin, I can't remember the name. Are there any other tips people could suggest?

I prefer vegetarian foods but in a family of four including one teenager, I'm the only vegi supporter. Both myself and my wife hate having to make different meals. We don't have a large freezer so it's not a case of making extra large portions for me. Can anyone help? Since I changed to Vegetarian food my health and my HbA1c has got a lot better.

I'm asthmatic too so diet drinks and some fruit drinks are out as they contain Amulsifia K or Asthpatam with narrows my airways. The only fizzy drink I now have in Coca Cola Life, which only contains natural sugar from the Stevia plant. Stevia are pH balanced and are recomended by diatricians for diabetics and others that are on a carbohydrate controlled diet. The only other drink I consume is Coconut water.

C

catherinecherub

I'm asthmatic too so diet drinks and some fruit drinks are out as they contain Amulsifia K or Asthpatam with narrows my airways. The only fizzy drink I now have in Coca Cola Life, which only contains natural sugar from the Stevia plant. Stevia are pH balanced and are recomended by diatricians for diabetics and others that are on a carbohydrate controlled diet. The only other drink I consume is Coconut water.
Coca Cola life does contain sugar as you will see from this nutritional information,
http://www.coca-cola.co.uk/drinks/coca-cola-life/coca-cola-life/

There are vegetarian recipes on the forum and you will find that vegetarians can have great success with their blood sugar levels.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/vegetarian-diet-forum.71/

If you tell us what you are eating, then we may be able to help you and see if there are any tweaks that you can make.

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome!

What is a typical day's food? Diet seems to play a bigger part in blood glucose levels than medication, for T2s, so maybe there are some foods that are sending your bg high, in addition to the sugar in the coke.

Do you test your blood glucose?

whosbear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi and welcome!

What is a typical day's food? Diet seems to play a bigger part in blood glucose levels than medication, for T2s, so maybe there are some foods that are sending your bg high, in addition to the sugar in the coke.

Do you test your blood glucose?
Yes I test regularly through the day. I'm an HGV driver so testing is advised by DVLA.
I know Life does contain sugar but not the amount an original coca cola has. One can will actually last me up to 6 hours too. So no more than one can a day if any at all.
Breakfast is usually unsweetened Museli with nuts added. Lunch could be a small sarnie with egg, tuna or cheese and tomato. Dinner does vary. Sometimes a vegi dish on my own or Fish fingers and boiled potatoes or perhaps a Jacket potato with tuna, or just cheese.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast is usually unsweetened Museli with nuts added.

In your position, i would be dumping half (or more) of the carbs, and filling up with more veg.
If i was eating that many carbs i suspect i would be on insulin by now.

Please don't take that as criticism. The NHS promote the Eatwell Plate, and have probably been encouraging you to eat like that - but it is just not suitable for us T2s. Unless we want to use insulin...

CharlotteLouise2468

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm a vegetarian, and find it difficult too (my partner is a massive meat eater!) but it's all about making those substitutes.

Like courgette spiralised instead of fresh pasta. They do high protein rolls in lidl (the bakery) substitute that for normal bread.

Reactions: 2 people

whosbear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Oh my goodness! Don't you just LOVE autocorrect?:D

Seriously though, in your position, i would be dumping half (or more) of the carbs, and filling up with more veg.
If i was eating that many carbs i suspect i would be on insulin by now.

Please don't take that as criticism. The NHS promote the Eatwell Plate, and have probably been encouraging you to eat like that - but it is just not suitable for us T2s. Unless we want to use insulin...
OH NO! It's the 1st time I'm using the Mobile forum. My apologies. May I just correct myself a say Breakfast is MUESLI!

Reactions: 3 people

whosbear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
That sounds good Charlotte Louise.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Can you let us know what your BMI is. I don't think there are that many carbs in your diet. I would be suspicious that you may be a Late onset T1 and not T2 as the tablets aren't really working. I suspect the non-insulin injectable may be Victoza or Byetta. These are normally offered to those who are overweight, so what your current weight is has a big influence.

whosbear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I know my weight is 86 pounds and my height it 5'8'' but I don't know my BMI or how you work it out. Sorry.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I'm assuming you mean 186lb if so then your BMI is 28.28 above ideal weight but not obese.

Neohdiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I test regularly through the day. I'm an HGV driver so testing is advised by DVLA.
I know Life does contain sugar but not the amount an original coca cola has. One can will actually last me up to 6 hours too. So no more than one can a day if any at all.
Breakfast is usually unsweetened Muslim with nuts added. Lunch could be a small sarnie with egg, tuna or cheese and tomato. Dinner does vary. Sometimes a vegi dish on my own or Fish fingers and boiled potatoes or perhaps a Jacket potato with tuna, or just cheese.

Definitely more carbs than I could tolerate and control my BG.

High carbs: Muesli (limit to a tablespoon or two max), coca cola life (swtitch to plain water), sarnie bun (omit), fish fingers (breaded, I assume - switch to broiled or baked without breading), boiled potatoes (omit), and jacket potato (omit).

Rough news - but if you want to control your blood sugar and avoid insulin, it may be necessary. My sig line details what I have to do to manage my diabetes. (Although I'm trying something additional/new for the next couple of months to see if I can trigger remission.)

First priority is to see how your body is reacting to food. Test before the first bite, at 1 hour, at 2 hours and (if the second hour is higher than the first) at 3 hours. (in other words, shift your testing so it is specifically related to when you are eating.) Knowledge is power! Anything that drives your BG higher than you want it to go should be omitted (or the portion size decreased), or tested again if the reaction is not what you expect. My personal tolerance is a BG higher than 7.8.

whosbear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thank you for everyone's comments. Sorry i HADN'T ANSWERED EARLIER BUT iV'E HAD COMPUTOR PROBLEMS. And looks like I'm still pressing the wrong keys too!
I have been eating a very small bowl of muesli theses last few days, rather than the larger bowl I was having. I do prefer the nuts and fruit over Shredded wheat or Weetobix etc. (Just some of the brands we have here). I have also been eating more Herring, Mackerall or Sardeens from the can, (and by that I mean tin can), Sorry but Iv'e watched Stuart Little and know what some Americans call 'The Can' Haa Haa.
I'll re-read again your comments when ever I need to refreash my thoughts on eating. I've go some handy books on Diabetes foods and will start making more of what I enjoy and hopefully get more of my family to enjoy them too.
Thank you all once again.

whosbear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi Folks, Just to let you all know. I've been very good with what I'm eating and keeping an eye on my Blood Sugar levels. I'v. averaging about 5-7 mol throughout the day. Nothing too bad through the night either. Because I was getting so depressed my Dr's prescribed me double amount of anti-deprescents to combat my sleeplessness. It's working. only another week before my next visit to my local GP. Hopefully I'll be able to return to work very soon. Still have Lumbago and Sciatic pain so I'll have to take things easy to start with but hopefully it will brighten me up a bit!