BYETTA

FordPrefect

Re: Anyone use Byetta?

I was told the pen itself could go into the household waste its only the needles that need to go into the sharps bin. I know for myself at least I couldn't fit the pen into my sharps box anyways!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

FordPrefect said:
I was told the pen itself could go into the household waste its only the needles that need to go into the sharps bin. I know for myself at least I couldn't fit the pen into my sharps box anyways!

As with any medications they should NEVER be disposed of in household waste, think about what could happen if a child started messing around with tablets/toxic liquids. I can't agree that household waste is the correct place. Either in the Sharps bin or back to the Chemist who will dispose of them safely.

The Byetta Package leaflet clearly states, "medicines should not be disposed of via waste water or household waste. Ask your Pharmacist how how to dispose of medicines no longer required."My own Pharmacist disposed of mine until I got my own Sharps Bin.

I have a normal size Yellow Sharps Bin and find it drops through the slot easily, maybe you have a different type ?

SPRINGER

Anyone Use Byetta

Hi I am new to this I have been reading some of the topics and wonder if you can help.
I have been perscribed Byetta from the hospital and have now just finished the first month on 5mg. Since starting on Byetta from the first day I have felt sick every day for about two hours after taking each dose so now I am scared of starting on the 10mg dose it case it makes the sickness worse. I haven't been sick but the feeling is there.
I have been given Domperidone from the doctor to help but that only stops me being sick it doesn't take the feeling away.
I am now feeling desperate and wondering if to give up on Byetta or will it disapear it just seems to be taking a while to pass. I have had type 2 for about 14 years now and I am alos on Novarapid and Levemir.

Can you help.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Re: Anyone Use Byetta

SPRINGER said:
Hi I am new to this I have been reading some of the topics and wonder if you can help.
I have been perscribed Byetta from the hospital and have now just finished the first month on 5mg. Since starting on Byetta from the first day I have felt sick every day for about two hours after taking each dose so now I am scared of starting on the 10mg dose it case it makes the sickness worse. I haven't been sick but the feeling is there.
I have been given Domperidone from the doctor to help but that only stops me being sick it doesn't take the feeling away.
I am now feeling desperate and wondering if to give up on Byetta or will it disapear it just seems to be taking a while to pass. I have had type 2 for about 14 years now and I am alos on Novarapid and Levemir.

Can you help.

Byetta is a powerful drug and the side effects are sometimes not good. The nausea that you are experiencing is something that a few people have experienced. A lot have been able to conquer this by eating Ginger biscuits or taking ginger capsules, ginger tea. Seems to have an effect for some. Personally I have never suffered with the nausea apart from early on. It cleared fairly quickly, but everybody is different. Women seem to suffer more than men for some reason.

I certainly wouldn't advise giving up on the Byetta so early on, try to stick with it for a while longer. If you are still experiencing problems then discuss it with your GP.

The thread your post is now in contains many references to nausea, do a search of this topic and check out the results for more information.

helnic

Hi Everyone
just taken my first dose of byetta and waiting to see if I get sick or not!!
Was great to find this forum as I a bit wary of manufacturers info - much better to talk to people who are actually using it...so fingers crossed that all is ok.
Only worry so far is that unlike with my lantus pen you cannot test the needle on this one so not sure if it is actually working and with such a small dose cant really tell if it has been delivered or not and the mechanism seemed to stick a bit.
Hope to be able to post glowing reports of byetta in the near future
helnic

cugila

Master
Dislikes

helnic said:
Hi Everyone
just taken my first dose of byetta and waiting to see if I get sick or not!!
Was great to find this forum as I a bit wary of manufacturers info - much better to talk to people who are actually using it...so fingers crossed that all is ok.
Only worry so far is that unlike with my lantus pen you cannot test the needle on this one so not sure if it is actually working and with such a small dose cant really tell if it has been delivered or not and the mechanism seemed to stick a bit.
Hope to be able to post glowing reports of byetta in the near future
helnic

Hi Helnic.
Welcome to the forum. Not sure what you mean when you say you "cannot test the needle ?"
There is a procedure for checking that the pen is working properly, it is the same as the New Pen Setup in the information leaflet with the pen. Try re-setting and if there is a continual stream coming from the needle, then you should be getting the proper dose. If there is none after no more than 4 times, then you should contact the supplier and/or your GP.

JENNY52

Hi been using byetta for 3 weeks bloods comming down but feeling a bit sick this week but seems to beworking it has supressed my appitate has anyone else like this jenny

cugila

Master
Dislikes

JENNY52 said:
Hi been using byetta for 3 weeks bloods comming down but feeling a bit sick this week but seems to beworking it has supressed my appitate has anyone else like this jenny

Hi Jenny52.
Welcome to the forum. Have a good look around.

Here is a post I made earlier which explains much about your question. The thread is full of messages regarding this .........if you manage to read them all ....you get a Gold Star..... :D

Byetta is a powerful drug and the side effects are sometimes not good. The nausea that you are experiencing is something that a few people have experienced. A lot have been able to conquer this by eating Ginger biscuits or taking ginger capsules, ginger tea. Seems to have an effect for some. Personally I have never suffered with the nausea apart from early on. It cleared fairly quickly, but everybody is different. Women seem to suffer more than men for some reason.

I certainly wouldn't advise giving up on the Byetta so early on, try to stick with it for a while longer. If you are still experiencing problems then discuss it with your GP.

The thread your post is now in contains many references to nausea, do a search of this topic and check out the results for more information.

kay957

Type of diabetes
Type 2

I have actually asked to go on Byetta, mostly because my diabetic drugs make me put weight on, plus I am on other drugs too for RA. But the Nurse has said she has to ask a panel at the practice if I can go on it because of the expense, has anyone else had this problem?

cugila

Master
Dislikes

kay957 said:
I have actually asked to go on Byetta, mostly because my diabetic drugs make me put weight on, plus I am on other drugs too for RA. But the Nurse has said she has to ask a panel at the practice if I can go on it because of the expense, has anyone else had this problem?

Not had this problem as such but I do know that my GP told me that if Byetta hadn't been prescribed by a Consultant, my Endocrinologist, that I would almost certainly NOT have been prescribed Byetta because of the cost to the Practice Budget.

So it does happen and you will just have to make your case and hope they look on it favourably. You could always ask for a referral and try to get it the same way as me....??

thedame

Hi Everyone :D

I am now in my 3rd month with Byetta, 2nd on the 10mcg dose and reporting back on progress.

For those who have just started out with Byetta and having unpleasant symptoms, here is a brief summary of my journey from which I hope you will see that it is well worth persevering with this,

Week1 on 5mcg - felt sick for most for most of the week and extremely tired. Loss of appetite made it hard to find things to eat but pushed myself to eat even if it was just toast. Slept if I felt rough and the feeling did past after a sleep. Was boosted by a shift downwards in blood sugar levels - from 13 to 10.5 within just a week. My advice if planning to start - see if you can take some time off work and give yourself a a chance to get used to the regime and the effects of the drug. Drink sugar free ginger and or a teaspoon of cider vinegar in warm water to combat the nausea.
Weeks 2 and 3 Gradually lost the sick feeling - tiredness in afternoons prevailed but as I am very overweight, this was not unusual. BS levels still dropping and losing about 1.5 lbs a week. This really boosted me. Appetite not great, but that is a good- often left food on my plate - unheard of!

Week 5 and now on 10mcg Bit of nausea for 1st couple of days but nothing as bad as week 1 on 5mcg. Found it a nuisance having to have lunch but made myself eat something or risk wanting something really naughty mid afternoon. What worked for me: I love biscuits so got a packet of the lowest fat and sugar ones I could find - low fat rich tea- had one with a cuppa mid afternoon if felt a bit wobbly or just plain fed up!

Now: I rarely feel sick now- mid morning I like a cup of coffee and this gives me that little boost I need if I feel sick. Still don't feel hungry lunchtimes but this is good for me - I have a simple sandwich most days and an apple about an hour later. We eat quite late in our house so if I do get hungry in the afternoon, it is a good old rich tea or a piece of fruit. My appetite is a lot better these days so I have to make sure I don't indulge out of greed but the good thing is that if I do overload my plate, I can just stop when I am full as I know I will suffer when I go to bed with a bloated feeling. I am still losing weight at a slow but sure 1lb a week - sounds very slow but the nurse is really thrilled that I am going the right way and feeling good. BS levels have not been over 8 for weeks now and often down to 6- real progress for me. The team want me to aim for between 4 and 8 so this is very promising. My tip: keep a journal of your progress and when having a bad day, look back at how far you have come to give you that lift.

Dread this time of year- so much temptation- it makes me quite scared at times so I have enlisted help from the family to help with shopping etc- as a distraction rather than to police me. Roll on January though and no more mince pies to hide from!

Good luck to all of you starting and well done to all of us still sticking with it - thanks for all the support. Wishing you all a very happy, healthy Christmas and a much happier New Year with lots to look forward to. :mrgreen:

tabnoakes

hi thedame,
great post and very uplifting to know its not just me that feels this way, you and me started at nearly the same time on byetta and are going through the same feelings together its nice to know i am not alone! i find my self with a bit of an addiction to buying nice christmas foods but not eating them i have a box full of nice things i know i can not eat so the rest of the family will be eating them for me! i am happy to watch them enjoy them and imagine the lovely tastes.
i am still feeling sick at times and know when i have eaten the wrong thing as i am actully sick sometimes, i too find myself having a little sleep when i feel rough which helps, my weight is coming off nicely having nearly lost 2 stone and blood sugars 4 - 8 and no gliclicide at all now where as i used to take 4 a day.
i did have a bad patch in the middle just before i started byetta 10 when i was so ill i was ready to give up but i am glad i didnt and am very happy with my weight loss.
good luck and keep up the good work - tab

parageiss

Dislikes
being disabled
OK 3 months now average glucose down from 9.1 to 6.1 and I have lost 10lb, loads of energy, sleeping better, the only draw back is more active that my arthritis is playing up like hell, but who cares :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes
This is the new area for all things relating to Byetta.

RWJ

Hi all

Getting near the end of my 2nd pen now and am still doing really well. Definitely don't eat as much as I once did and I don't think about food all the time, which I also did. Temptation will be around over the next week but I know if I do have anything it will not be a big amount, maybe just a tasting.

I have to keep in mind to make a small christmas dinner now cos we usually cook so much but it will be such a waste.

I have also lost some more pounds but not sure how many, will weigh myself on Christmas Eve and then again in the New year

I have bought myself a Wii fit plus for christmas so will be doing a little bit more exercise by fun.

Wish you all a very Happy Christmas and hope everybody feels well enough to enjoy themselves and hoping we all have a great 2010 on Byetta.
:D

mspoohbear2

Hello All,

I had to travel a long way to find a discussion on Byetta. I am located in eastern USA. Hope you don't mind an "out of towner" joining in. :D This forum is fantastic, I have read 52 pages so far. Thank you all for posting it is a great help. I have searched the web and did not find any discussion groups other than this one, but I think this one will be all I need. :) I will be starting Byetta on the 24th of December. Terrified! I had an episode of anaphylactic shock a few years back from penicillian, but I am going to do this. None of the other drugs seem to help. I was on Januvia for 6 months and lost 14lbs, but then it seemed to just quit, so I am hoping that the "spit" will work. I have my epi-pen ready, just in case.

Thanks Again for your fantastic discussion boards. I will be reading other topics over the holiday.

RWJ

Welcome Mspoohbear2

You will find all the help you need on this forum and will get an answer to all your queries.

I am so glad that I found this site too.

In my first month I lost 10lb and I have just weighed myself this morning and it looks like I have lost another 10b, so total in all in two months is 20lb. I feel so happy today and have managed to put on a top I bought about 4 months ago that was actually tight and it feels nice to wear today.

I didn't feel bad at all in the first month on 5, just a little sickly when I started on the 10. But that soon passed.

Good luck on starting your pen - just think of the good results and that will get you through.

Merry Christmas.

RWJ :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes
mspoohbear2 said:
Hello All,

I had to travel a long way to find a discussion on Byetta. I am located in eastern USA. Hope you don't mind an "out of towner" joining in. :D This forum is fantastic, I have read 52 pages so far. Thank you all for posting it is a great help. I have searched the web and did not find any discussion groups other than this one, but I think this one will be all I need. :) I will be starting Byetta on the 24th of December. Terrified! I had an episode of anaphylactic shock a few years back from penicillian, but I am going to do this. None of the other drugs seem to help. I was on Januvia for 6 months and lost 14lbs, but then it seemed to just quit, so I am hoping that the "spit" will work. I have my epi-pen ready, just in case.

Thanks Again for your fantastic discussion boards. I will be reading other topics over the holiday.

Hi
Welcome to the forum. Glad we can be of assistance to you, we welome everybody, from anywhere in the World. The only thing we ask is that you convert mg/dl to mmol/l (divide by 18) for the benefit of other members.

As for reading 52 pages, you only get a Silver Star so far, Gold is waiting if you can make it to the end.

:D

Attachments

• award_star_silver_1.png
    award_star_silver_1.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 3,167

mspoohbear2

Thank you for the welcome. The doctor called in the prescription for Byetta, but he forgot to call in a prescription for the needles. :lol: However, I will be able to get the needles tomorrow morning. I am going to use the first dose tomorrow before dinner and I am off work until Monday so I will have some time if I have any nausea etc. Again, thank for the welcome.