I finding i start to get it then i dont

Tiger

Dislikes
my inner body lungs bones teath my genrall health
I thought you go on insulin when you body in short stop working properly? So i can take that so now they talking to me today that sometimes it starts working again but is only temporary effect so i stupidly been a bloke i get it but sat here thinking i dont. How can the pancreas stop do it job and they put you on insulin it dont do much to start with then you get loads better then you go lower than ever and then your pancreas temporary starts working is that for real?

sandymaynard

Hi Tiger,
I don't understand that myself!
Welcome to the forum! The human body works in ways that none of us understand what so ever!
I suppose it could work of it's own accord again! But unsure of why this would happen!
Does this mean that you can come off insulin?
Sandy

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Tiger, I think that it's worth discussing with your doctors about the type of diabetes they think you have and the contribution of the prednislone.
This is what I think may have happened but I may be wrong so please ask your doctors again.

First you have had diabetes for some time. You have to take a steroid which makes it difficult for you to keep you glucose levels down. This has resulted in your beta cells not being able to produce enough insulin.
When you went into hospital you had very high glucose levels and ketones.The ketones were produced because the the high glucose levels combined with insufficient insulin meant your body started to use it's fat for energy. (this is what produces the ketones and weight loss)

The high glucose and ketones were toxic to your bod and your beta cells which produce insulin, were not up to the task and to put it simply 'gave up'.
In hospital they gave you fairly large amounts of insulin to lower the blood glucose and also to get rid of the ketones. ( I would need to take quite a bit of extra insulin for levels above 14mmol with ketones)
0nce your glucose levels had got back to nearer normal levels, your remaining beta cell were able to produce some insulin again, though (possibly) not enough for you to manage without injected insulin.

Tiger

Dislikes
my inner body lungs bones teath my genrall health
I dont understand a lot of stuff i had scans and all sort to day after some other blood test as why i keep getting infections why my bones breaking and splintering why i keep getting uti a lot more . one thing they found or should i say didnt is i only have one kidney the other has disappeared aparantly this can happen plus i got kidney disease anyway they say would explain the probs with blood preasure the other thing with my body is my imune system is **** if there somthing going i get it i also got sojrens syndrome sorry cant spell it but all i know is i get major probs with swallowing at time i dont have a flaming clue whats going on with my body and why things that should normaly not happen do but i do know one thing im at a point right now were i feel like saying sod the lot no more pills no more insulin no more test i just go home and do it my self naturally i believe in me that i can do it without medical help i had enough of been a flaming guinea pig im i spent 28 years in hospital out of 33 rounded