Daughter running a bit high since move to levemir?

Cathn61may

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
people who think they know it all
Niamh 11 has changed from lantus to levemir in the last month, normally she would have a hypo a day if not more, Mix that will hormones, SATS round the corner and it's gone a bit wonky!
Niamh feels tired (in the morning - who doesn't) but fine, but she is above "the range"
I'm conscious we need to keep her bloods in range, and we will be uploading diasend next week for the hospital but wondered what the general thoughts were on hormones and how much it affects the readings? Is this the insulin?
Above all of that she still smiles - it's just me who wants to do the best for her.
All answers gratefully received as usual!
I have 3 Novarapid 1 before ach meal and Levimer at 10pm. Have been on it Since it was introduced with no problems at all. Type 1 for 49 years.

chuffalot

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Niamh 11 has changed from lantus to levemir in the last month, normally she would have a hypo a day if not more, Mix that will hormones, SATS round the corner and it's gone a bit wonky!
Niamh feels tired (in the morning - who doesn't) but fine, but she is above "the range"
I'm conscious we need to keep her bloods in range, and we will be uploading diasend next week for the hospital but wondered what the general thoughts were on hormones and how much it affects the readings? Is this the insulin?
Above all of that she still smiles - it's just me who wants to do the best for her.

My son is 14, he switched from Levemir to Lantus 18 months ago as he was permanently high, because his hormones had kicked in and he suffers stress while at school. Lantus gives a better coverage as it lasts about 23 hours where as Levemir only lasts about 20. Different hospitals have different ideas about what children should be on. There are not many children on Lantus where we live, I would say the same as the others, increase the Levemir a bit at a time. I hope she settles soon, it can take awhile for the body to adjust. Exactly how high is she climbing?

ShellT82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I work in diabetes and am also type 1 for 32 years. Levemir maximum coverage is between 10-14 hours, therefore it is recommended as a twive aily injection 12 hours between each dose. Lantus maximum coverage is 20-24 hours. Stress and hormones will also be playing a huge part in glucose control. My glucose evels weren't great during exam time due to stress and had hypos when i was on my period.

Feex

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My son is on levemere and when his bloods are high in the morning I have to adjust his insulin I usually up it by 2 and see how he goes from there. Upping it by 1 won't do anything.

Nutty72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Niamh has been as high as 14.7 in the morning, Didnt up it, and she's been in the normal range today, if only school was open 52 weeks a year!
Will monitor it - thanks!