I wonder if you can help.....

YorkshireAli

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Faye - I'm not a bit surprised you've been feeling down if that's the "support" you get from your family - I think we all feel that family are the ones we can (or should be able to) rely on to have our backs when things get tough, so it makes it doubly difficult when they don't. It's hard to keep a brave face plastered on all the time - and maybe some people see the front and take it at face value, meaning they don't see the hurt they inflict. Do you ever say when they step over the line?

I think you sound like a lovely person, and you must have huge reserves of strength to put up with really unhelpful and insensitive comments like that. Which are, as has been pointed out, completely wrong anyway. I'm glad you're feeling a bit better physically today, and hope you get your infection sorted soon.

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm afraid I live Durham so it's too far☹️ But thank you I appreciate the suggestion Catherine.

Yeh I have a complex relationship with my folks so whenever they approach inappropriate stuff I tend to give a warning such as that is inappropriate what you are saying if you continue I will leave or hang up. Many times they have carried on and I've left. Id say I have quite good boundaries like two months ago. Friend was so cruel to me as far as I'm concerned she isn't a friend now I'll be Polite as we work together so a hello but nothing m

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
More I'm a firm believe in you cross me that's it because you don't really care and I deserve more. You know what though it's awesome and I'll always stick by my belief but it ain't half lonely. Someone once said to me friends and family think of them like tree. Each branch will have different things on it might be one branch of a friend who you can go shopping with but that's the extend of the relationship and you accept it as there will be other for more In depth support. I'm just not sure there are many I'be meet.

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The comments aren't the worst thing ma that happen but I think because I'm proud of my diabetes it's not 100% but it's a part of me that has given so much compared to people in some ways that I get fed up of explaining listening to people's nonsense of what they believe it to be and judgement towards it and me

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
hey

I wondered your thoughts.

I was told today I am a pain as I pick up illnesses so easily. I feel judged by how ill I get. It's like I'm ok if I'm not I'll if I'm ill I am a pain. My mother always has said," your be lucky if anyone friends or boyfriend put up with you with your diabetes" I've always ignored the comment even the gestures to formal boyfriends off shaking their hand and saying how grateful they are to take me on.

I have always brushed it off because within I know my diabetes is a part of me something that has given me great depth and I value it but it doesn't define me. I feel some are starting to define me with it. By the way I haven't been ill for a while now. I guess I wondered if I'm alone? I feel it especially today and it's been a low weekend for me as I've had to cancel everything because of how my diabetes has been reacting to an infection I just feel upset is all and wanted to get it out of me

I'm sorry to hear you're feeling low, I hope the support from other forum members will help make you feel better. I'm sorry to hear that your mother doesn't have a clue. Type 1 diabetes is associated with some specific configurations of the genes in the DNA. Where do you get your DNA. Maybe remind your mother of that little gem. It's a little more difficult than that because environment comes into it as well, something parents control for us up to a certain age anyway. The American Diabetes Association have an article about genes and diabetes at http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/genetics-of-diabetes.html.

I think a lot of forum members will have diabetes related illnesses, sometimes due to the medication. Metformin for example made my life hell and my friends thought I was becoming a hermit because I made so many excuses for not attending functions. I even cancelled a trip to Las Vegas because I felt so rough and needed the bathroom many times a day.

Infections can be a real pain in the neck because they seem to go on and on. I can't offer a sure fire cure, but I do know that since I decreased my carb intake to about 80gms and increased my intake of vegetables and fish, plus I have a concoction of supplements like Propax, Ultranflamx, Lecithin Granules and Vitamin C powder (good for the bowels as well). I have also taken Milk Thistle for liver function and like it says in the blurb, my liver function has improved. I mention the liver because it's involved in so many things including the immune system.

Perhaps looking very carefully at nutrition as opposed to diet might highlight some things that will help with things like infections. I can't say for sure what is happening with my health, but this winter I've seen several friends and neighbours with terrible colds and or flu, really poorly, and I was waiting to catch it myself. I've had the sniffles and that's it. Hopefully all the supplements are helping.

Take care, don't let the bath plugs (euphemism) get you down.

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm sorry to hear you're feeling low, I hope the support from other forum members will help make you feel better. I'm sorry to hear that your mother doesn't have a clue. Type 1 diabetes is associated with some specific configurations of the genes in the DNA. Where do you get your DNA. Maybe remind your mother of that little gem. It's a little more difficult than that because environment comes into it as well, something parents control for us up to a certain age anyway. The American Diabetes Association have an article about genes and diabetes at http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/genetics-of-diabetes.html.

I think a lot of forum members will have diabetes related illnesses, sometimes due to the medication. Metformin for example made my life hell and my friends thought I was becoming a hermit because I made so many excuses for not attending functions. I even cancelled a trip to Las Vegas because I felt so rough and needed the bathroom many times a day.

Infections can be a real pain in the neck because they seem to go on and on. I can't offer a sure fire cure, but I do know that since I decreased my carb intake to about 80gms and increased my intake of vegetables and fish, plus I have a concoction of supplements like Propax, Ultranflamx, Lecithin Granules and Vitamin C powder (good for the bowels as well). I have also taken Milk Thistle for liver function and like it says in the blurb, my liver function has improved. I mention the liver because it's involved in so many things including the immune system.

Perhaps looking very carefully at nutrition as opposed to diet might highlight some things that will help with things like infections. I can't say for sure what is happening with my health, but this winter I've seen several friends and neighbours with terrible colds and or flu, really poorly, and I was waiting to catch it myself. I've had the sniffles and that's it. Hopefully all the supplements are helping.

Take care, don't let the bath plugs (euphemism) get you down.
Hey thanks for your input very interesting. When I was diagnosed they did a load of research on me and the family. It turns out i didn't get my diabetes from my family. They think for me it was either a bad flu or injuries from an accident fun eh!! There is no history of diabetes one or two in my family at all from knowledge of what diabetes was lol
Don't know if there is anyone like me with no family connection to developing diabetes?

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Hey thanks for your input very interesting. When I was diagnosed they did a load of research on me and the family. It turns out i didn't get my diabetes from my family. They think for me it was either a bad flu or injuries from an accident fun eh!! There is no history of diabetes one or two in my family at all from knowledge of what diabetes was lol
Don't know if there is anyone like me with no family connection to developing diabetes?

Having family members who have diabetes, and inheriting DNA which added to your environment (you mention flu and an accident) are different. The interesting thing is that you can have identical twins and one has diabetes and one doesn't. So, just because you don't have family members with diabetes, you will have inherited the DNA from parents which with environmental things, means you have diabetes. Hope that makes sense.

A better example, a hemophiliac boy will have inherited that condition from his mother although she will not necessarily have shown the condition, she was just a carrier.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Having family members who have diabetes, and inheriting DNA which added to your environment (you mention flu and an accident) are different. The interesting thing is that you can have identical twins and one has diabetes and one doesn't. So, just because you don't have family members with diabetes, you will have inherited the DNA from parents which with environmental things, means you have diabetes. Hope that makes sense.
Oh very interesting!! I'll look into this thank you

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
My wife studied genetics and it makes my brain hurt. LOL I added something to my last post.

A better example, a hemophiliac boy will have inherited that condition from his mother although she will not necessarily have shown the condition, she was just a carrier.

It's all our parent's fault. LOL Only half joking, we get a lot from their DNA and it's amazing how even with the same parents, we end up so different. Trust me, LOL, I have three siblings to prove that.

linnyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
People who are cruel to people or animals.
hey

I wondered your thoughts.

I was told today I am a pain as I pick up illnesses so easily. I feel judged by how ill I get. It's like I'm ok if I'm not I'll if I'm ill I am a pain. My mother always has said," your be lucky if anyone friends or boyfriend put up with you with your diabetes" I've always ignored the comment even the gestures to formal boyfriends off shaking their hand and saying how grateful they are to take me on.

I have always brushed it off because within I know my diabetes is a part of me something that has given me great depth and I value it but it doesn't define me. I feel some are starting to define me with it. By the way I haven't been ill for a while now. I guess I wondered if I'm alone? I feel it especially today and it's been a low weekend for me as I've had to cancel everything because of how my diabetes has been reacting to an infection I just feel upset is all and wanted to get it out of me
I think you are a lovely positive person who is respectful & caring to those who use this site. That is not due to your diabetes, that is who you are! Anybody who cannot see past the diabetes & see your caring nature is not worth bothering with. Hope you feel better really soon:)

linnyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
Aw love that reply and thank you I much appreciate it. I am just feeling upset and lonely tonight. It's diabetes and other stuff so it just feels a lot. I feel limited to who I can talk to so I felt here would be the best
Always someone on here to support & help, best place I have found. xxx

linnyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
aww thank you everyone those are some of the nicest comments ever!! Thank you so much they have touched me so great full for it.
Usually you would meet me and think I've gone through nowt and am very upbeat. My friend says I do a Faye when I can find the positive in anything or situation. Just this weekend I could not ☹️.
I still feel low today but physically I am feeling a tad better. I have very few people around me so I find it hard when the ones I have trusted and know comment on me. I've generally been going through a rough time lately and I think this weekend was the last straw and took me into a low world especially as I almost was dk because I didn't see an infection creeping in me. I feel he more tough life gets the more it chips at your resilience even if it's just temporary chips it's hard to continue to say on your bike all the time.
You keep fighting Faye, there are lovely people out there, you just have to search to find them. Mean while you have us all x

Reactions: 2 people

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You keep fighting Faye, there are lovely people out there, you just have to search to find them. Mean while you have us all x
Aww Linny that is so nice! It's made me cry but in a good way I hope people will understand I'm going to start another thread thinking about empathy called how about we make our voices heard check it out you might be interesteed

linnyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
Aww Linny that is so nice! It's made me cry but in a good way I hope people will understand I'm going to start another thread thinking about empathy called how about we make our voices heard check it out you might be interesteed
Fab idea, will have a look xx