starchy carbs.

newsue

Hi all, didnt realise till reading threads that starchy carbs turn into 100% sugar. I eat quite a lot of white bread and potatoes. Has anyone got alternatives i can replace these foods with. Please excuse my ignorance.......

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Try replacing potatoes with cauliflower. You can mash it, even make rice with it ! As for bread, once you don't eat it you don't miss it! (well I don't anyway :D )

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Hi Sue

As a newbie myself I have been experimenting and through testing have found that I had to cut out grains completely as my bg levels just go sky high when I eat them. :shock:

As Sugarless Sue says try cauliflower as it is quite a good substitute when you really do need something instead of the usual rice or potatoes.

I don’t bother with any grains at all now but when I want a sandwich or a wrap I use Romaine or Iceburg lettuce leaves which works quite well.

When you see the numbers coming down and start feeling better you know it is worth giving these starchy carbs a wide berth. :D

newsue

Hi folks, thanks for the great advice. I will deff. try mashing cauli may also try mashing turnip as is one of my favourite veg. As for the lettuce leave substitute for bread what a great idea...

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
newsue
A burger( home made of course :p ) wrapped in a lettuce leaf is a delicious lunch.
You will have to find out through testing, how much carbohydrate you can handle. You may find you can manage some kinds of bread better than others. You also need to consider your portion sizes.
Hana

wallycorker

Hi newsue,

Yes - if you want to get your blood glucose levels lower quickly then cut back on the starchy carbohydrate - i.e. cereals, bread, potatoes, pasta and rice etc.

I've cut out eating most of them especially the cereals, bread and potatoes and that's led to a massive improvement in my Type 2 situation.

Best wishes - John

Reactions: 2 people

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
A Burger AND a Lettuce leaf......my idea of Hell....... :wink: Personally, I prefer a good old fashioned Bacon Sandwich with Crusty White Bread.....delicious. :D

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I love a homemade burger with gherkin, red onion slivers and mayo wrapped in a lovely crisp Iceberg leaf. Packed in clingfilm, it makes a great picnic food.
Hana

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hana.

Personally, I think I would rather eat the cling film....... :lol: :wink:

wallycorker

cugila said:
Hana.

Perhaps Hana would help you to stuff it in Ken - the cling film I mean!!!!! :lol:

Only joking! Only joking!

John

cugila

Master
Dislikes
wallycorker said:
cugila said:
Hana.

Perhaps Hana would help you to stuff it in Ken - the cling film I mean!!!!! :lol:

Only joking! Only joking!

John

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes....I'm sure she would have a few willing helpers....... :D

carolynjw

Hi newsue

I have only been on low carbs for about a week or so, and have found the benefits on my blood sugars to be amazing! I sometimes struggle for ideas for food, but have not eaten a potato, pasta, cereal or rice since I started. I eat loads of cauli and eggs :lol:

everyone on here is incredibly helpful and only wants to help you to good health - they have fab ideas that make loads of sense!

Good luck hunni.

Carolyn x

wallycorker

carolynjw said:
.............I have only been on low carbs for about a week or so, and have found the benefits on my blood sugars to be amazing! ...............
Great news! That is the way things seem to go almost all of the time when cutting down on carbohydrate intake - especially the starchy carbs such as cereals, bread, potatoes, pasta and rice!

Stick with it!

Best wishes - John

betic

like sue, bread and potatoes are my demons...never tries celeriac?...how do you have that?..i find the only way to curb my desire for lack of bread and potatoes is to eat a good piece of meat like beef or pork or chicken with a nice sauce of cause...i make up different sauces using tomatoes and onions and other vegs...to add sweetnes i use sweetners as i feel meat needs a sweet sauce otherwise it can be bland...love cauliflower and cabbage so tend to fill out meal with those...

Kastrian

betic said:
like sue, bread and potatoes are my demons...never tries celeriac?...how do you have that?..i find the only way to curb my desire for lack of bread and potatoes is to eat a good piece of meat like beef or pork or chicken with a nice sauce of cause...i make up different sauces using tomatoes and onions and other vegs...to add sweetnes i use sweetners as i feel meat needs a sweet sauce otherwise it can be bland...love cauliflower and cabbage so tend to fill out meal with those...

Just Treat the Celeriac as you would potatoes

Debby xx

lizley

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Aubergine, Corgettes.... not being able to eat as much chocolate as i want !
Hi Deb and everyone else reading this lol

I have been diagnosed a few years now. I have tried to control it with metforim and try to limit my sugar and carb intake with not much joy. I am 50% better than I was but still have a long way to go .... i have just joined the forum and have to say you guys are really helpful . I have never had any dietry advice for my diabetes except cut out sugar ..lol

Can you roast celariac ? and what are good subsitutes for sugar cravings...

Thanks
Liz :)
Just Treat the Celeriac as you would potatoes

Debby xx

lizley

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Aubergine, Corgettes.... not being able to eat as much chocolate as i want !
Hi all, didnt realise till reading threads that starchy carbs turn into 100% sugar. I eat quite a lot of white bread and potatoes. Has anyone got alternatives i can replace these foods with. Please excuse my ignorance.......

Hi

Dont apologise for your ignorance.... I am just as ignorant lol...I have just joined this forum as I really want to get my diabetes under control this year. I too didnt realise carbs turn 100% into sugar , so thanks for posting this x

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Celeriac is a superb replacement for potatoes, bread is a bit more tricky, some people like Bergen bread but I don't, so I just go without most of the time and this no longer bothers me as much as it did to begin with. Rice isn't too good either, although I can tolerate a small amount of basmati rice, some people use grated cauliflower instead of rice.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App