Wondering

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was wondering do people find crying affects their blood sugar levels?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Only in the following circumstances.

Now you say you're lonely
You cried the whole night through
Well, you can cry me a river, cry me a river
I cried a river over you :)

I doubt that the fluid shed by crying could dehydrate you enough to affect BG levels.
Though the emotions connected with it may cause stress or other physiological responses that may.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Only in the following circumstances.

Now you say you're lonely
You cried the whole night through
Well, you can cry me a river, cry me a river
I cried a river over you :)

I doubt that the fluid shed by crying could dehydrate you enough to affect BG levels.
Though the emotions connected with it may cause stress or other physiological responses that may.
One such response could well be comfort eating. this was best exhibited by Geraldine in the Vicar of Dibley, or Brigitte Jones. A different response could be a total rejection of food as in 'off your food' or there is also the proverbial reaching for the bottle. Any of these responses could affect bgl.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
Maybe not the crying itself but the stress you may be under that is causing the crying may, presumably, affect your blood sugar
Hope you're feeling better soon,eh ;)

Reactions: 2 people

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One such response could well be comfort eating. this was best exhibited by Geraldine in the Vicar of Dibley, or Brigitte Jones. A different response could be a total rejection of food as in 'off your food' or there is also the proverbial reaching for the bottle. Any of these responses could affect bgl.
Sorry to be so flippant, because I know you had a rough time recently. I hope you feel better soon,

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Those are psychological responses I said Physiological though I will give you that psychological responses can evoke physiological ones as that was the point I was trying to make.

Though I could have done it in a better way perhaps @Fayefaye1429 if I upset you I do apologise I really didn't mean to be unkind.

Last edited by a moderator:

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Morning @Fayefaye1429 Hope your ok Hun ? It's the reasons why that could trigger a change with your bg levels, so if you're stressed or angry and upset, once hormones are released such as adrenalin then these will affect your bg levels.

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all no one has added to my upset all very kind words.
I spent yesterday crying and with migraines from the crying lol this isn't diabetes related in away but my partner told me he isn't sure if he wants to continue being with me. It was a bomb for me as he has never talked like this in the 6 and half years we have been together. I just feel lost and confused plus I just don't know what to do. Anyway my diabetes was ok yesterday surprisingly as crying usually plummets me down

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, that would have been a bit of a bummer to be told that by your partner. Sounds like you reacted in a very 'normal' way. I do hope you and your partner have been able to start to talk about your diabetes, how it affects you and how it is so difficult to get on top of etc. Maybe he doesn't realise the seriousness of this horrible disease and how it affects your day-to-day life. Hopefully, you will be able to work this out between you and your relationship be all the stronger for it. I wish you well and hope things settle down quickly. :)

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
thank you for the kind words. Get this now my car has broken down! My week is not great! To an extend he gets the condition I kinda feel he's just fed up of me getting ill now. He has changed a lot since this time last year it's hard to know what is happening

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
. . . . . . . my partner told me he isn't sure if he wants to continue being with me.

Forgive me, for I am old. It's nearly 40 years ago now but my partner of 4 years said something very similar after I had inexplicably gained about 3 stone. What I should have done was pack her bags and left them on the doorstep, decision made. But that's not the way we are, is it? We think it's our fault and we are to blame. It took me ages to work out that it wasn't me and it was my partner of 35 years who told me. Funny how life goes. Good luck, look after yourself, you are special to us.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
thank you for the kind words. Get this now my car has broken down! My week is not great! To an extend he gets the condition I kinda feel he's just fed up of me getting ill now. He has changed a lot since this time last year it's hard to know what is happening

Oh Fayefaye, I wish I could give you a big hug right now x Talk about what is going on, calmly and respectfully, out of the house a quite drink, tea/coffee somewhere. Get him to open up, if you can, because him saying something like that, out of the blue, is going to affect you so much.
Sometimes airing things can really open up those niggly, negative thoughts and you will, at least, find out what is going on.He should be honest with you.
Take care X

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you for hugs and advice. Its been a struggle I won't lie but I guess in general I feel quite lost at the moment and that's poo

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Adding more hugs! Solidarity too. It's hard to sort out what significant others mean or are thinking, when they can't tell you, and extra difficult caring about whether your blood sugar is ok. Thinking of you. You may not feel strong right now, but you are.

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you sigh kind words. I think there is a mixture at moment for me personally. For about a year I haven't been able to exercise without complications so have put on weight. Finally due to he libre I can and have lost nearly 2 kgs yay!! This is great! But I am wondering if anyone par from diabetics will really get what it's like. I know not many around me and that's ok because I can handle it. It's just when I'm ill or having an issue and the pressure of your being a pain starts. I know I've said before my mother said when I was 15 years old when diagnosed that I'd be lucky to have anyone put up with my diabetes. I've always ignored her stupid ignorant comments on me because I know I'd be dead if I didn't have it which and its a good part of me I embrace. My issue is why can't partner just empathise than take an injection your be fine or comments of get this sorted

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey @Fayefaye1429, sending you a big hug!

I separated a while ago and can understand that such a statement is hard to process. I am sure you will be fine, regardless of how things will turn out. It is more difficult to cry rather than comfort eat, at least for me, and so much better. When a GP told me I need to 'live', e.g. not worry too much about dieting, I remembered this quote:

"It is my fervent hope that my whole life on this earth will ever be tears and laughter." Khalil Gibran

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
I haven't cried for years and maybe I need one. Take care. :)

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Faye, so sorry to read about your troubles. My ex told me the exact same thing 6 years ago after being together for 25 years...... and I wasn't diabetic then! Don't blame yourself. It took me a long time to realise that it was him who had changed and it wasn't my fault. At that time I felt there was no point to life and I'd never be happy again. I loved him so much. However, I've since met someone else and couldn't be happier. Life will get better whatever happens. You have to experience the bad times to appreciate the good ones. Good luck and I really hope it works out for you x