T1 Frustrations

AdamJ62

Type of diabetes
Type 1
G'day from Australia,
My name's Adam, and I've been a type 1 since age 10 - about 8 years ago now. I'm sure that threads such as this are commonplace here, but I think expressing myself might be a good thing even so.

As with a lot of diabetics, I experienced a 'honeymoon' period after I was first diagnosed. My HbA1c was good, I was doing ridiculous amounts of glucose tests, and my attitude towards the disease was fantastic, after the initial shock wore off. I received an insulin pump a couple of years down the track, and that things were really looking favourable. However, they call it a 'honeymoon' period for a reason - it doesn't always last. And it certainly didn't for me.

About 4-5 years ago my management started dropping off dramatically, and it showed through a steadily increasing a1c level. I tried to persevere to no avail, and my paediatrician at the time continued to offer words of encouragement. The struggle lasted and eventually my parents and doctor became frustrated resulting in a lot of pretty uncomfortable appointments.

I decided to switch clinics, both as a result of hostilities with my doctor and because a fresh start seemed like a good idea. This was about 3 years ago, and my a1c at that point was a little below 10%. At first the idea was a success. A new set to of faces gave me a renewed sense of purpose, and my a1c dropped back to around 7%. Of course, all I had really achieved was a second honeymoon of sorts, that was even more fleeting than the first.

My level increased once more, to the mid 8's, then above 9, and my quantity of BGL readings fell to an all time low, causing me to experience mild (if that's even a valid adjective here) ketoacidosis a couple of times. This pretty much brings us to the current day. I seem to be able to avoid extended hyperglycaemia through a combination of basal and the occasional correction bolus, often performed without a glucose reading. At my worst, I can go several days without a single reading.

Today I had a bunch of blood test performed, the results of which will have returned by the time of my appointment next week. I am filled with nothing short of despair at the thought of my current HbA1c.

I can't explain why I've become like this (and trust me, I've spent a lot of time thinking about it). The one thing I do know is that the longer I remain this way, the less hope I have that I can change my course. My first doctor and my parents used the potential complications of the disease to try to spur me on, which clearly has not worked.
I have dreams just like any regular person, and there is a very real possibility that I will never achieve them because I go blind or die before I am able to. Even that thought - that my life will amount to naught - is not enough to motivate me to pull myself from this rut.

Some people refer to this as being 'burnt out', among other, more technical names. It seems like it will be a permanent thing for me at this point, as the solution is clearly out of the reach of my doctors, my parents, and myself. I don't expect anyone to reply with some silver bullet that sets me straight, and I don't think anyone should feel responsible for trying to do that for me. But I would love to hear from some of you guys out there, about how you have addressed similar challenges.

Perhaps most importantly, I feel the need to address anyone else going through this. Diabetes of any kind is a cruel disease, much like any disease really. Many people cannot sympathise with the difficulties diabetics face, perhaps because checking your blood sugar is really not a difficult task. The mental ramifications are hard to predict though, and they seem to hit many of us like a freight train. You need to understand that it happens, and it's not abnormal to struggle. Try your best to stay motivated even when things seem pretty rough, and seek help from the people around you if you think you need it.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome @AdamJ62 :)

What you've described is so familiar. Type 1 is an exhausting condition. There's no break from it - not on holiday, not when you're ill, not when you're busy... It's an extremely demanding condition to live with. I think it can be mentally exhausting, and I don't think people without it really appreciate how draining it can be.

I motivate myself in a number of ways - yes, the fear of complications, but also thinking about my hopes and dreams for the future for myself and my family. I'm d*#%ned if I'm going to let diabetes steal those from me. So I test lots and I try to control my diabetes as well as I can - simply because I hate it and I'm not going to let it win.

I now do blood tests and boluses (I'm on a pump) almost without thinking about it. I find the more you do, the easier it is for them to become routine - almost like checking your watch or looking at your phone.

If you've got out of good habits, then don't push yourself to change too fast. Set yourself tiny targets - one or two tests a day or whatever - and reward yourself when you achieve them. You know only you can change things, but you'll be the one who benefits from any improvements, so do it for yourself. Take back control and put the diabetes beast back in its cage, where it belongs.

Reactions: 2 people

Chandradev819

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @adam, I can understand the pain of T1 person. But we don't have other option except Insulin injection. Thanks God, at least we have this. If there would not be artificial insulin, we could have died with in month.
But we don't have to lose the hope. There are so many research Teams are working together to find the permanent solution for T1 people. They are very close to it.
I also get frustration from this T1 life. But I get motivated after seeing the beauty of my life and my career. In future a lot of think can be happen.
As @azure said, we have to control the diabetic as much as possible.

AdamJ62

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey guys, thanks for the kind responses. Always good to hear from some likeminded people.

The advice on setting small targets is definitely something I've tried to do with some success. Working on that is something I should try to dedicate myself to more, without a doubt. Like yourself I was at some point fixed in my management while on the pump to the degree that I did all the routine tasks unthinkingly.

In relation to research foundations (for instance the JDRF), I am not even remotely hopeful. Speculation and many overly energetic media outlets have long since made me sceptical of anything labelled as a 'permanent solution'. They seem to constantly spew articles about 'cures', achieving nothing but the propagation of false hope. I swear some Facebook pages stoop to writing posts about the subject purely to attract a diabetic audience.
I studied a great deal of biochemistry in my senior high school years, almost exclusively in the field of endocrinology. I learnt a great deal about diabetes, and likewise about the theories on how a cure could be developed. There are many plausible options, but no scientific group has really come close to executing any of them in a feasible way. The closest we seem to have come are insulin regimes and pump-like devices that almost mitigate the effects of Diabetes. While you could consider this a cure, doing so really would classify a pump or injections as a cure too - so for me it will never be more than a method of treatment. Furthermore, any device more sophisticated than a pump costs so much that it is simply not an accessible option to the average diabetic.

We absolutely must continue to search for a cure, for the good of future people afflicted with the disease, however I think it would be foolish to place one's bets on one anytime soon. Of course, let's hope I'm wrong.

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Adam.
I too initially had control of my diabetics (had it 18 years) & then like you I struggled to test enough & control it. There wasn't any real reason & I did try to regain control but it seemed impossible! I was lucky & never managed to hospitalise myself or do too much damage to by body, but I lived in constant fear that I was damaging my body & it was all my fault.

I found the thing that worked for me was a low-carb diet. I know this isn't for everyone, but I found that it was easier to control my sugar levels & seeing good results when testing my sugar levels spurred me on to get even better levels & to continue low carbing.

I hope you find something to help you soon!

AdamJ62

Type of diabetes
Type 1
That's a really interesting idea Patch. It's something that has never really been suggested to me. In Australia we have pretty good labelling laws, so I imagine a little knowledge on the carb content of meats and plant-based foods would allow you to cut down on carb intake to whatever degree necessary.

Do you experience any side-effects from being on a diet like that? I.e low energy levels?

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Adam.
Initially I felt a little lethargic and got a few headaches, but I believe this is normal when switching to a low carb diet. This didn't last long and I think there are plenty of ideas as to how you can ease these side effects. Obviously you need to adjust your basal and bolus as you reduce your carbs so it is important to test your sugar levels to check for lows.
Now I'm adjusted to low carb I feel like I have more energy (probably because I don't have huge swings between high and low blood sugar) and feel quite normal.
Worth looking on the low carb forum here to get some ideas and see if you think it might be worth a try. Like I said it's not for everyone, but did work for me.

Chandradev819

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Patch,
I am completely agree with you. I am taking low carb food from starting, it is very handy for reducing the insulin dose. I am also doing walking 2 hrs per day. I feel walking is the best exercise to reduce the insulin dose.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Adam, firstly apologies for the recent rugby results. Sorry to hear that you're having a hard time with your diabetes. If I'm correct you're a young guy coming to the end of his teens. Well if memory serves me right when I was around that age I rebelled against everything, even if I knew what I was being told was right. I needed to prove to myself that I was not going to be dictated to by some old foogies (people). I needed to show I was a man. I realise now it was all down to hormones/testosterone and I had no control over it. Add to that type 1 diabetes and most people would struggle. I believe in a short time your body will settle down you will see things differently and be able to take control of everything better. What is happening now is going to make you a stronger person in years to come. Who knows in 30yrs time you'll be giving advice to some young pommie. Good luck fella.