Prediabetes Newcastle Not Working?!?!

TryingHard

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been eating 800 cal / day for nearly five weeks and lost nearly 10% of my body weight.

My fasting glucose started at 6.0 and diet is dropped to between 4.4 and 4.7.
I was just about to stop the diet.... But the last three mornings by fasting glucose has been over 6.1(!).... higher than it was before I started the diet!!!!?!

Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

ps. It may sound crazy to some people but the only difference I'm aware of is that I've darkened the room where I sleep, because that is supposed to increase melatonin production....which some studies say lowers glucose level..

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Could be anything really - my fasting BG is very dependent on the timing of my last meal on the previous day and even then it's not predictable all the time. IMO fasting BG is the very last reading to be bothered by.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Might be going lower at night and setting off a liver dump. Just a guess.

seadragon

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a similar thing in that after going LCHF for a few months my fasting levels were down in the 4' early 5's and then suddenly back up to 6. something almost every day. Thing is the NHS will tell you the fasting level is your lowest of the day and this is patently untrue. In the afternoons I can be down in the 4's again so i am assuming my high fasting ones are a result of liver dumps. Therefore I am not worrying too much about them. My HAba1c was well within normal range so seems it is just one of those things.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
My fasting is most definitely the highest of the day for me and is almost always in the 6's. My afternoon or evening is usually in the high 4's or low 5's. I am VLCHF with metformin and forxiga.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. In a previous post I mentioned that the fasting test is not the most useful test to see how you are doing. You need to test 2 hours after typical meals and see what you get. The target is to be below 8.5 mmol.

fene48

I've been eating 800 cal / day for nearly five weeks and lost nearly 10% of my body weight.

My fasting glucose started at 6.0 and diet is dropped to between 4.4 and 4.7.
I was just about to stop the diet.... But the last three mornings by fasting glucose has been over 6.1(!).... higher than it was before I started the diet!!!!?!

Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

ps. It may sound crazy to some people but the only difference I'm aware of is that I've darkened the room where I sleep, because that is supposed to increase melatonin production....which some studies say lowers glucose level..
I had the same experience, unfortunately I do not know the answer. I had the dawn phenomena before and I think it dropped in for a visit. Don't forget meters are not that accurate and only give a fairly good guide to what is going on.
Whatever you do, keep going as the diet does work (spectacularly) and it is worth the effort - may be its time to drop in to your GP.