Help... Terrible muscle pains

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
There's good advice here but you need to go back to basics.

You have an illness and its in your abilities to control it..
First off, your food for you is a priority. You must prioritise health first for food and lowering carbs is a good option. Clear cupboards out and start new.

Ask your receptionist before you see GP ie today for a print out of your blood tests. You are entitled to this. This will give you a starting point. Long term wise you would be better off also signing up to be an online patient- this lets you view your results online.

Start at these basics today.

Last edited:

JayCee10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'll contact surgery today as I am an online patient but not seeing results online. Thanks.

JayCee10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi bluejeans 98. Surgery just called to move an appointment and I asked about the Alpha Lipoic acid capsules. They'll ask the DN to call me to later to discuss.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope you get it sorted out with your doctor. If you want to change your diet to lower carb then take one step a time cutting out things slowly it is not good to go to low carb to soon the body needs time to adjust to it. As to the statins we must not advise on medication here we are not qualified to do that so you must discuss it with your doctor if you think they may be causing the leg pains

bluejeans98

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

JayCee10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hope you get it sorted out with your doctor. If you want to change your diet to lower carb then take one step a time cutting out things slowly it is not good to go to low carb to soon the body needs time to adjust to it. As to the statins we must not advise on medication here we are not qualified to do that so you must discuss it with your doctor if you think they may be causing the leg pains

Thank you very much for your advice, much appreciated. I will go slow with my eating habits changed and will always discuss with GP or DN.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Pinkorchid

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Alpha lipoic is not prescribable and is easily bought online or at H&B.

I did couple years ago now. I can't say for sure if it helps to be honest. Inulin definitely helps in my tea each morning. Thats for cholesterol. It turned upside down after going on a particular tablet but putting max dose in my tea again daily has definitely helped to reatore back to better reaults.

You should be able to request to view your results on line if they aren't automatically given to all patients online. It does enable you to sit down and say "right, these are my results, these need attention, and this is what I'm going to try for 3months until my next test."

Removing bread, rice n pasta (if ate) is a good starting point for low carbing. Reading packet labels and definitely not buying things that are coded red for sugars on the front label is a quick easy starting point.

Veg and meat, if you can eat it, explore different ways with this. Ie try courgette spiralised with a pesto sauce instead of pasta...

Lots of foods if working and busy can be made and frozen or keeps for 2 days.

Leg pains can be caused by all sorts of things.. Mine is aspartame/sweeteners and statins. But others will find its something else.

For me, eating veg and meat was pretty much my life anyway for 50 years so I haven't had much to look at except drugs..

JayCee10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Many thanks for your thread. Will def look at the Alpha Lipoic, looks like 600mg a day is a good dosage. I'll try anything now. Will look at the online info too. I've had a wake up call after 4 years thinking things are ok. Put too much time and effort in to work and now its time to think about me.

Hellrazor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
blood pressure meds Reason i ask s i am on ramipril ,Amlodipine ,and Bendroflumethiazide and have had horrendous problems with back and shoulder pain,Has settled down a bit now but if you are on any of those and it doesn't settle talk to your gp

JayCee10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Never been on the first one you mentioned but stopped taking the other 2 many months ago. Adjusted my diet slightly today and will gradually turn it round. Blood test in 10 days do will see if this has helped. I only seem to get the leg and thigh pain when I'm sitting about for long periods or during my sleep which then wakes me up.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I've this week discovered from hard copies of my medical notes that I paid £50 for that I have osteoarthritis!!! Added to my notes in 2007 that I wan't aware of. Obviously hospitals and endo people not aware either! Neither my GP's. Had it confirmed by GP yesterday.
Had good chat with him on phone. He said to carry on doing my setttee cycles of 600 a day (now) and increase harder and more and cycling is one of best things.
He also said ibupfen-which I pointed out if that ended up ling term I can't have as I don't tolerate PPI's that I would also have to take...

He happy enough to let me keep on with my sofa cycling and to contact him if things get worse.

I also have the additional fear though that I will never know if my cancer has gone secondary to my bones as I constantly feel in pain anyway.... However, it has improved with cycling.. Yesterday when due to long drive to cancer hospital and not doing the cycling my legs were agony last night...

Perhaps settee cycling is the winner for muscle pain?

bluejeans98

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've this week discovered from hard copies of my medical notes that I paid £50 for that I have osteoarthritis!!! Added to my notes in 2007 that I wan't aware of. Obviously hospitals and endo people not aware either! Neither my GP's. Had it confirmed by GP yesterday.
Had good chat with him on phone. He said to carry on doing my setttee cycles of 600 a day (now) and increase harder and more and cycling is one of best things.
He also said ibupfen-which I pointed out if that ended up ling term I can't have as I don't tolerate PPI's that I would also have to take...

He happy enough to let me keep on with my sofa cycling and to contact him if things get worse.

I also have the additional fear though that I will never know if my cancer has gone secondary to my bones as I constantly feel in pain anyway.... However, it has improved with cycling.. Yesterday when due to long drive to cancer hospital and not doing the cycling my legs were agony last night...

Perhaps settee cycling is the winner for muscle pain?

Can you elaborate on Settee cycling. Do you have one of those pedal things that sit on the floor. Or just do cycling movement while sat down.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I just have pro fitness
IMG_1474895279.783685.jpg
cycle literally sat on settee.

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I just have pro fitness View attachment 20529 cycle literally sat on settee.
I have wondered about one of those as I can only walk a short distance...Maybe get my mums for a while and see.
I like your shoes donnellysdogs. May I ask where you bought them please

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thank you!! The shoes are skechers. My hubby can get them from his workplace pretty regularly at very cheap prices. These ones were full price from the Skechers outlet store in Spalding tho.

The cycling definitely helps the hyper leg feelings and I think the cracking that has been happening in my right knee.

I think exercise of any shape or formis important even if difficulties standing there are ways to do every part of your body. Feet can be rolled over a football, legs easy enough from a chair. Arms easy with any weights sat down. Stomach is easy in bed just doing sit up before getting up. Even one is better than none.

I'm not an exercise freak but I do believe that our brains can be over intense with pain signals...

sugarleveller

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
When on statins and blood pressure meds I had awful neck and shoulder pain. Exercise did help a little. The soup/sodium did not help at all. I suggest you ask for a new statin.

I was able to get off statins/blood pressure meds when I did the 8 week blood sugar diet - I don't have any pain anymore.

JayCee10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Update on my back pain. Just see. Diabetic nurse and waking to a back pain which eases once I'm up and about she says is muscular rather than anything sinister. Great news for me though was my HBA1c reading which was 10.1 (97) end of June to 8.1 or (65) now. It's probably not as good as it could be or what others may be achieving but for me that's the lowest it's been. I'm wondering if the introduction of Gliclazide a couple of months ago is the reason?? Though I did stop it for a couple of weeks when I was experiencing chronic diarrhoea and I was told it wouldn't be the cause so I started taking them again. Also started taking Lipo-Carn from
a health store 10 days ago as it was mentioned it helped sugar levels. Let's see what happens with the next test in 3 months.

bluejeans98

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Been on Alpha Lipoic Acid tablets for two months now. Along with L arganine, Daily vitamins, and a Vitamin D3 tablet once a week which was prescribed by my doctor as my vitamin D levels where low. I had my diabetes review on Tuesday. I am now in the none diabetic range, liver function, cholesterol etc etc are all well in the normal range too. Doctor was surprised. I do however have to go for a heart scan as my dyastolic readings have been high each time I've have my BP down at the surgery. The pains in my feet and legs have gone and I don't feel as tired anymore.