Pasta with chicken - slow delay...messing up BS

alf15

Hi guys/girls,

I was wondering if anyone else has this problem. I love pasta it is one of favourites meals. But i find it very hard to manage my bs with it. Example of a typical pasta meal that i have:

100g pasta = 70g carbs, 1g fat
200ml of light pasta sauce = 19g carbs, 2g fat
Oven Baked Breast of chicken = 0g carbs. og fat
Chilli flakes

I always measure and weight out my foods

So total carbs = 90g. I am on a 1/10 insulin ratio so I take 9 shots.

But I always go low within two hours if i take all 9 shots. I have learnt from eating it a few times to split it 7 shots at meal time and then 2 shots 1.5/2hrs later and my bs seems to be good for a good few hours (between 5-7mmol/l) and then later that night about 5-6hrs later, i get the taste of my sauce in my burp and then my bs nearly always rises to 9-11mmol/l.

Why is it doing this? I know from eating fatty food it slows down the release of food into your system and this is overcome by spliting dose, but the pasta meal I am eating has very little fat at all!

It it the pasta? Even though its almost fat free, it is harder to break down and then come into me later?

I can eat mcdonalds and split my dose over 3/4hrs and later that night my bs will not rise?

I happens me with rice and pasta? Even if i eat white rice and pasta which has a higher GI, still the same thing happens me! :(

Anyone get this problem? Any advise on how to overcome it?

Thanks

Alan

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
I know this is in the non low carb forum. But have you considered a low carb pasta. I recently bought chilli pasta from Asda, it tasted quite nice, a bit of a chilli tang to it. Maybe it would help to try an alternative pasta.

alf15

Thanks for the replies, i noticed that when i posted this thread I realised that there are a few post about the effect of pasta...woops i should of used the search button haha.

I will try spilt it more, gonna try split it over 4hours and see how that does. Then im gonna play around with it! Might even try that chill pasta...But you cant beat the real thing!

When you say 70g carbs is pushing it? What you mean by that? I think its too little to be honest!! :lol: Before i got diabetes, I would say I would of had about 200g of pasta (never measured it out though). But when i measure pasta out now and compare it to the portions I had pre-diabetes, it was nearly double! haha :lol:

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi alf15, I was a pasta lover pre DB but have found through testing that 2oz (60g) is the very maximum I can eat in any meal without pushing my bg levels up too high. Even 2oz raises them higher than I would like which is why I eat pasta now only very occasionally. I have found that dishes cooked with lots of melted cheese seem to be kinder, lasagne or a chicken and broccoli bake, as the cheese (fat) will slow down the rate that the pasta's carbs affect your bg levels.

We are all different though, I am fine with a two slice Burgen sandwich for lunch but cereal for breakfast or pasta for diner are sadly rarely on my daily menus nowadays. Other people I am sure find they can eat pasta but perhaps not bread.

Test test test test and test again till you know the portions of each food you can tolerate.