DAFNE - is it worth it!?

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh thank goddess! Thank you you've really put my mind at ease! Was terrified thinking I'd have to pull out my pale belly covered in injection site bruises (I bruise super easily!) in a room full of strangers!! Haha couldn't think of anything worse.

And it would be helpful to meet people living with the condition, that's why I love this forum so much. I only know 1 person with type 1 and she's had it since being about 4 so it's a non issue for her, like she's never experienced the complete bewilderment I'm experiencing because it's second nature now haha
Heya :) If you are in London please join our fb group https://www.facebook.com/groups/864727986969226/ We organise meet ups every couple of months in central London. Great opportunity to meet many fellow diabetics :)

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
Hey all,

I've been referred for DAFNE and I'm due to go on 17th October. I've needed to book a week off work as annual leave to attend, which essentially means that I've used all my holidays now and for the rest of the year can't take any time off so, say I need to attend an appointment or anything I won't be able to until January.

Anyway, I was diagnosed in February and have been carb counting and adjusting my own insulin since. And now, 8 months after the fact, I'm having to go on a course that (from what I've heard) is going to teach me to...carb count and adjust my own insulin. Is there anything more to it at all? Like are they going to teach me things I don't already know?

I've also been told that you're expected to take your insulin in a room with the other attendees..which I can't say I'm overly comfortable with if it's true. Don't really want to be whapping my belly out in a room full of strangers

Any advice would be much appreciated!x

EDIT: I don't know if it's worth mentioning but I was having fortnightly appointments at the diabetes clinic from February until April, then I've sort of been left to my own devices. My consultant hasn't seen me for 6 months and I'm doing okay in the grand scheme of things, some off days but on the whole not bad.

I can only tell you my experience; I went on a Dafne course 2 years ago after being diabetic for 38 years. Like you I was dreading it, but it turned out to be one of the best decisions I've ever made. There was nothing that made me uncomfortable, some people injected in the room, some didn't, personally I don't like to. Recently I went to a refresher and the educator built in a tea break at the time I wanted to inject my basal so I could just nip out to do it. My suggestion would be go, and if you do manage to start it, you may as well finish the course, then you can decide how valuable it was for you. Day 2 was my least favourite, and I was shocked by the things I had not previously known. It wasn't a beach holiday, but definitely worth it (for me). Good luck and I really hope you enjoy it x

Robynoksana

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks! I'll post an update when I've attended :) I'm nervous and intrigued. Hope I don't end up overthinking things - whenever I find out consequences of diabetes I have a tendency to obsess over them. But everyone's saying it's a beneficial course so I'm getting more intruded by the post!

Reactions: Grumpy ole thing

Nidge247

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, it's definitely worth attending. The only downside was them not recognising the benefits of the lchf lifestyle, and saying you can eat anything and match it with insulin. However, in every other respect, the course was excellent, and I learned lots I wouldn't otherwise have known. As the days on the course progress, you get extra files for the DAFNE folder, which at the end of the five days is a wealth of info.

I did my course one day a week over 5 weeks, as work would only allow me to attend if I made the hours up on the other 4 days of the week! I also attended the 2hr refresher some months later, where it was good to catch up and check how you were doing (great!). My course was at Fairfield in Bury.

There was a further refresher recently I was invited to, but there were set topics for those days, none of which I felt covered my needs, so I didn't go to those. I use a DAFNE diary every day (quite a shelf-load now), and these are very helpful when checking back to see how certain foods affect me, and what I have done in the past to tackle highs / lows / illness.

Attend the course, have fun, it's not a high speed course and you are given plenty of time to take it all in and ask questions. Also good to meet others who will have similar experiences to yourself.

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh I didn't know that! I like the idea of an insulin pump, but I don't know how manageable or practical they are...do you have one?
Yes Yes i do have an insulin pump, and it's the best thing I have had happen on my diabetes journey I'm a pro pumper though and would advise all to give it a try it may not suit your needs but if you can try it then it's worth it imo.